Maternal & Child Community
SHOULD I WAIT TO TRY TO CONCEIVE?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

SHOULD I WAIT TO TRY TO CONCEIVE?

I have a TSH of 10.13 (normal is 1-5 TSH). This means I have a low functioning Thyroid. I want to conceive and have been trying for 5 to 6 months. My T3 and T4 levels are normal.
My nurse midwife says to wait to ttc until my Thyroid is normal. I'm taking half a grain of Armour Thyroid.
Do you agree with her? Should I wait until my Thyroid is normal?
It might be safer for both you and baby to wait until the levels are clear or your Dr. gives the go ahead.  Best of luck to you!
I am by no means an expert on this topic.  However, I can tell you that after my 2 mc in 2006, my doctor tested everything, including my thyroid.  I don't know details about the Thyroid and how it affects your body, and/or whether or not it can increase your chance of miscarriage, but I do think that you should listen to your midwife.  As someone who has gone through the pain of 2 mc, I would think she is trying to protect you from any complications that could possibly lead to that.  Believe me, a healthy pregnancy is worth the wait!  I know it is hard, but I think you will be better off if you wait until your body is ready!  Best of luck to you!
I too had the thyroid testing done after my M/C and the doctor simply explained that the thyroid malfunctioning could be one cause of miscarriage. If i were you I would wait till things were normal.
Thank you for your comments. I just pray that the natural thyroid works quickly.