Maternal & Child Community
SICK OF VITAMINS AND CAN YOU EAT CRAB?????????

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hi! I am about 7 months pregnant. I have been sick with nausea and vomitting since the day after conception!!!!!! YEAH, you heard right. It has been a rough ride.... I have only gained about 9 pounds, but my doctor says that baby is fine, (it's a boy!) and just to keep eating protein and dairy each day... to stomach what I can. They have put me on different meds, but nothing has really helped. The vomitting has eased off, but I still get nauseaus here and there. I have two questions:
1. They had me on very mild prenatal vitamins but they still made me sick no matter when I took them. So I got off and am taking two Flinstone complete every day. Just wondering if anyone out there has ever had trouble with vitamins and your thoughts on this...... Some days I feel so bad I just don't take anything. I just don't want my baby to be in danger..... Let me know
2. We are planning on going to a nice resturaunt for New Year's God willing that I am feeling okay. I was wondering if you can have crab meat while you are pg.......I am not much on seafood but do love crab cakes and was just wondering........... Thanks and have a great day!!!!!!!!
I have been eating crab and I'm fine. I've never read anything about not eating crab. Have a great time!
I have been eating Crab since the beginning of my pregnancy, and i've been fine i don't think i've heard anything about seafood being bad for you.
That reminds me of my pregnancy - I was sick every day as well!!!!  I did not take vitamins with either pregnancy and I had a 5 lbs. 12 oz. girl and then 19 months later I had a 7 lbs. 11 ozs. boy - and as far as the crabs go - eat all you want!!!
You shouldn't eat seafood when pregnant.  The baby's body can't fight off if there is a parasite or something in it.  Also, 'bottom-feeders' are the worst because they eat the 'garbage' of the ocean.  Shrimp, Lobster, and Crab, along with sushi, walleye, catfish, trout, etc....are things you should stay away from.  They are all on my 'do not eat list' also, tuna should be eaten in very limited amounts.  I just play it safe and don't eat any seafood when pregnant or nursing.
Also, really watch deli meats for Listeria reasons....those weren't on my bad food lists with my first 2 children but, were added when I was pregnant with my 3rd.

It is ok to eat most things in moderation of course and I don't think at 7 months and one event on New Years there should be much of an issue.

When it comes to the pre-natals, just go off of them completely.  You aren't giving yourself or your baby all of the nutrients you can when you are tossing them up all the time!
Plus, your pregnancy isn't very enjoyable when you are going through this.
Just try to eat as many green, leafy veggies you can and try to limit any type of soda, including soda water since the carbonation inhibits many types of vitamins and minerals from being absorbed into you body...especially, Vitamin D which is essential for winter babies and calcium absorption.

I hope this helps a bit.  I am certainly not an expert but, I am one of those women who do as much research as I can about pregnancy and foods and vitamins with each one of my pregnancies because things always are changing.

Good luck and enjoy your New Years with some crab cake!

i think prenatals making you sick is pretty common.

i had been taking them for over a year before i even got pg i think that is why they didn't make me sick this time around.

i would suggest trying to take them as much as possible but really they are to replenish YOU....the baby will take whatever it needs from you and if you don't get those vitimins and minerals back it's YOUR teeth and bones that will suffer.
the baby also tends to suck a lot of iron out of you....if you don't get that replenished you'll start feeling run down and really tired.
good luck and i hope you enjoy your crab cakes.....i had those for my birthday dinner (i was about 28 weeks at the time)
~nanci
It is very important to eat seafood while prgnant. The lipids in which are brains are made is very difficult for our bodies to synthsise. However, seafood is very high in these lipids. Look at Japan and Iceland, these countries have the highest amount of seafood in their diet in the world and also have the lowest incidence of mental illness in the world.

They are rumours of poisions in seafood, to be safe avoid fish which are high in the food chain (due to bioaccumulation) such as tuna and swordfish and also if you cook seafood well there should be no paristes.