Maternal & Child Community
STILL BLEEDING AFETER D

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

STILL BLEEDING AFETER D

Hi again! I have bled light to moderate for 16 days so far after my D& C. I was 12 weeks pregnant at misscarriage. My doctor did D&C next day. I have since had severe  cramping  about 6 days ago that only lasted 30 minutes. Then I passed several small clots 1 week ago. Then back to bleeding lightly. Then, last night a VERY LARGE CLOT I passed, out of no where. Not much cramping with  it. It was only one, and about the size of golfball, a little less mass. This morning I have not seen much of anything, but yet, days ago I skipped about 1 day of any bleeding. Does anyone have a similar confusing experince? I don't know what to expect next. I hope to God Iam finished with all of this. I am so frustrated, tired of waiting to seee when it will all come to an end. I  saw my doctor 4 days ago. HIe thought then that my prolonged bleeding was Just BCuz, and that I should be fine soon. However, he didn't do an ultrasound after wards. He did use one during D&C. I got really scared last night. I called Dr. on call, which wasn't mine, he told midwife to tell me to go to hospital. I wanted to wait out until Monday, bcuz I haven't bled heavily, or passed another large clot, It is all too confusing! I figured 5 hrs. of waitin at hospital in middle of night would be waste of time here in our town, unless I was bleeding heavily of course. Is it normal to bleed long and pass clots? I started to think it was, unitl the large one last nigh  Anyone who can shed some light? Thanks!
I dont mean to worry you, my situation was not normal. However I also had a miscarriage in August at 13 weeks. I did it naturally. But since I was so far along, I still had quite a bit of tissue left that didnt want to come out on its own, so they had to do one D&C. Well, apparently everything was not out, I continued to blood, finally said enough, went to my OB he did an ultrasound, and even looked in my uterus himself, and determined I needed another D&C.
You may not need one, you may just need some methergine. Did your OB prescribe you any methergine???
Im really sorry about losing your baby. I now know how much it really does hurt.
HI! thanks 4 info. Every little bit of info, helps. Yes, my doctor prescribed Methergine the same day after D&C. I took all of it, every 4 hrs. for 6 doses. Yes. I don't know. Maybe I need another series of doses. I will call my doctor again tomorrow. iam slightly bleeding still. Yes. It has been so depressing, and I normally do not get depressed easily. It hurts deeply at certain moments when you don't expect it. Thanks again! I'll try to keep posted w/ new info.!
My last miscarriage was at 11 weeks. It was alot like yours. I bled for about 4 weeks. I would go a day or 2 with nothing and then a large clot would come out then nothing for awhile then another clot. Then I would bleed lightly for awhile. Finally one day after passing a large clot i was done bleeding. It lasted 4 weeks though. Then I was fine and got pregnant the next month and carried it to term. I think it sounds normal what is happening.
I had a missed misscarriage at 12.5 weeks on August 5th that required a D & C.  I was bleeding for about a week lightly then heavier and then had a lot of cramping and passed huge amounts of clots.  I went immediately to a doctor who perscribed methragine (sp?).  I bleed again for 2 weeks, a week of spotting and then my period.  It was all very upsetting and confusing!  I was told over and over that it was normal because of how far along I was.  I had no idea what was going on with my body and I am sure you feel the same way.  I had two periods with spotting in between but...I am finally pregnant again!  I know how terrible you feel and I wish I could ease it for you.  I hope my words help and know that you will get through it and I wish you a pregnancy as soon as you want one again!
HI! I am so glad to hear from people with same experience. I finally stopped bleeding after 16 days(after passing a large clot), skipped 2 days, then started bleeding red blood today, rather than old blood as it had been. It is a light flow. Of course, I called my doctor, he said, as usual, that I am fine and I may bleed for up to 6 weeks. I just wished doctors would tell you from the beginning that any of this kind of stuff can occur, even at the slightest possibility. It might help ease women's fears and anxiety's. My doctor said I definately wouldn't have a period this soon, as I expected it may have been today. He said it would take at least 4-8 weeks. I don't know. I guess I will see as I did everything else unexpectedly! It's funny i always have to talk to my doctor's nurse, except when I went in last week for 2 week follow-up. Maybe they think I am making it all up or that I am a hypochondriac! I guess men in general, will never know what a women can go through. My husband is pretty great though!  Thanks for listening!
i think that some doctors are just there for the money and they really dont care about people same with nurses i thought i was treated un fair in the hospital i told her i was in alot of pain and she acted as if i was making the whole thing up i still have really bad sharp pains in pelvic area i had a dnc done today but the way she treated me made me even more sad its like im not going threw enought already she had to make it a little more worse for me
I too am having a similar problem. I miscarried at 8 weeks over two months ago. I have been spotting ever since. It hasn't stopped. I miscarried naturally and did not have a D&C. During my miscarriage I past several large clots and the doc pulled out the gestational sac at my last appointment. I had a blighted ovum. Since then my bleeding has been very light spotting. Sometimes pink but mostly brown. Its been over 2 MONTHS and still is continuing. I don't know what to do. I don't feel like I can be intimate with my husband again until its done. Its very depressing. My bleeding with my last two children and my last miscarriage before this one lasted no longer than 6 weeks. And my last miscarriage was at 20 weeks. This one was only at 8 weeks and yet I'm bleeding far longer.
Any advice would be helpful.