Maternal & Child Community
SWOLLEN JUGULAR VEIN WHEN CRYING

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

SWOLLEN JUGULAR VEIN WHEN CRYING

My 18 month old daughter has a bulge in her neck when she cries.  Through a series of MRI's (no contrast), Ulrasound and CT scan (no contrast) it was discovered that she has a third Jugular vein and it is this extra vein that recently started to swell out or bulge when she cries.  Our Pediatrician and ENT have never seen this before and are at a loss of what is causing the buldging or what to do about it. The MRI was done to check the connection of this vein to her brain and heart and everything appears to be normal. There is talk about refering us to a Surgeon.  The buldging first appeared about three weeks ago and appears to be getting bigger and longer each day.   Any past experience and advise with this would be greatly appreciated.  Also, what are the riskd of a vein rupturing?
I am so sorry you are going through this.  I have never heard of it before.  I know it has to be scary to see your small child have to go through it and then to hear the word surgery.  I have noticed my daughter who is 5 when she cries she has a vein pop out a little in her neck.  I never thought it was anything to worry about.  It does gross me out though when I look at it.  The only thing I could suggest is to go to a search site like Google.com and type in jugular vein or swelling of jugular vein and see what may pop up.  I hope this helps and let us know how your child comes through if they do in fact have to have surgery.  Good Luck and I will pray that it is nothing serious.
My 2 1/2 yr old son also has a bulge in his neck when he laughs or crys and it was discovered today to be his jugular vien from an ultra sound. The Radiologist commented that she hadn't seen this before offering us no comfort at all. We are freeked. I haven't yet spoken to the Dr.
What happened with your baby? Does anyone else have any info on this??
My son is also having this problem. He has three almost bubbles on the jugular we have an appointment the 13th of aug to see a heart and lung specialist. They say in elderly people this is a sign of heart failure so i am supremely freaked out. My cousin is a nurse and she assures me this cant be a problem with a three year old. I will let you guys know what happens with my son.
my almost 5 year old daughter also is expereincing this, when she speaks it becomes larger,  Any Updates please? diagnosis?  We are currently investigating (doctors),,,noticed this for the first time yesterday,, HELP :(
I have a 2 1/2 yr old daughter and whenever she crys, screams, or gets excited the vein on the left side of her neck bulges out. It is not a small bulge, when she throws a fit this vein balloons out to the point of looking like it is going to explode, about the size of a dime and out the side of her neck the legnth of the tip of my pinkie. Our peditrician reccomended that we see a pediatric surgeon, which we did, and he wanted us to follow up in 6 months in the hopes that this would just go away. It has not, it has only now gotten bigger.  Does anyone have any info on if their child has gone threw this?  I have looked everywhere on the internet and I am probably over reacting, but I would just like some anwers, or even clues on what to expect in the future.  Thanks for any info if you have it!
I too have a son who is now 4 years with that same extreme bulge of his jugular vein. But I've noticed him with this since he was a baby. It only appears when he has an extreme emotion such as laughter, crying or dramatizing in role play. He also has mild development delays and goes to a special school for those delays. God, I'm curious about the results of the previous stories I heard. Please keep us informed! I can't help but think of that Movie "John Q" when I hear these previous stories...
I was wondering if anyone ever found info about their children whose jugular vein bulges when crying or just talking loudly and expressively.  One of my 5 year old twins has always had a more visible jugular that seemed to bulge out during times of emotion mostly.  Just today it seemed that there was a round bulge near the bottom of the vein which does not feel like a lump or anything at all when I touch it.  It doesn't hurt him and only comes out when he is being very expressive or upset.  He is an emotional child but is also highly intelligent. His heart was tested by a pediatric cardiologist while in utero and everything was perfect.  He has had no ailments in these 5 years with the exception of very minor flus,  (much more mild cases than his twin ever had) but does get rashes after a virus.  When I gave him a shower before bed and the asked him to talk loudly and such it wasn't nearly as big as an hour before that.  Googling it has left me with no solid clues except to frighten me with a tremendous list of scary possibilities.
I have a 5 year old daughter who has the same thing. We first noticed it when she was 3 whenever she laughed or cried it would  bulge. have been from dr to dr. An ENT did a gastroscopy and thought is was a lyrengocele. I was not happy with that as they could not give me more info and it was getting bigger. After 2 years of searching we had more test done an MRI, CT and ultrasound after that we saw a peadiatric cardiologist who did an hour long ultrasound of her heart and all the rest he found that she had a enlarged jagular vein that when she puts pressure( laughing or crying) the bloodflow stops( which causes it to bulge out) and as soon as she stops it resumes again. He reckons that it is not dagerous as the jagular vein is not under pressure it drains by gravity and has suggested we see him once a year for check ups. Hope this helps  
I asked our pediatrician about a vein popping up (it looks like a little knot) in our 3-year-old son's neck when he cries, etc. He said that it is normal -- just a valve that prevents blood from flowing back the wrong way in our veins. When the blood flow increases, like during crying, the valve tends to stick out. Hope this helps...
I see the same issue with my 3 yrs old.  What are the risk?
My 11 month old also has the  bulging thing going on. last month my daughters were playing with him on my bed when he fell off and landed on his chest causing him to hold his breath and pass out. we took him to the er and everything looked ok he seamed fine . the day after is when i saw the bulging from his neck he never had it before, but now it's their he looks like a frog croaking. i have a follow up appointment on the 15 of this month to re check it. to me it looks the same and seams to be getting a little bigger. did anyone eles kids appear like this?