Maternal & Child Community
Sac found, but no baby at 5 weeks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Sac found, but no baby at 5 weeks

I went for my first u/s at 5 weeks according to my lmp. The tech performed a transvaginal u/s, and immediately called the Dr. He came in and explained 2 things. That according to my lmp I should be 5 weeks and a the sac was measuring a little smaller than normal. Could come from a mistake in how far along I am. Then he showed me what seemed to be some type of bleeding/blodclot, outside of the sac, but a little over in the uterus. He didnt explain much, but just said to come back in 2 weeks. I was concerned and asked had he seen this situation before with everything turn out fine. He said yes, but im still worried. Shouldnt the baby been visible at that point? Could the blood seen be a sign of miscarraige (miscarriage)? I have no pains, spotting, or bleeding. Should I be worried?
my first u/s with my dd they thought the sac was empty, but she is now a healthy 15 month old.  The begining was rough only because we could not go by lmp because we weren't sure if it was an actual period.  with her i went from pregnant to not to pregnant then maybe ectopic.  I am sure your baby is going to be fine.  It is sometimes too early to tell yet as far as u/s goes.

best wishes
5 weeks is still early to see the baby. I was told at 5 weeks at the hospital that I had a blighted ovum. I followed up with my doctor 10 days later and the baby was there with a strong heartbeat. I don't know much about the blood they saw near the sac, however I blead through my whole pregnancy.Good luck to you, keep us posted!
It is often too early to see a baby at 5 weeks.  Even if you ovulaated one day late in your cycle.

I hope you have a good result at your next scan.

Hi there , a friend of mine recently went in for a scan 2 days after she found out she was 5wks pregnant . She had started to bleed a little , this is why they had her in for the scan . They said everything was there but too early to detect h/b, she was to come back following week to see if sac had grown . The following thurs she went along for the 2nd u/s where she was told the sac had grown but there was no baby , she was to expect a miscarriage in the following days , and if the pain got bad , to come in for d&c . If not then to come back the following week to make sure all had cleared out properly . The pain never came for her ,but on the monday she did bleed all day long and lost 2 large clots , then the next day was discharging brown blood ,the next day nothing . She had no pain , but just figured ok , well thats it , its over and tried to get her head around all this . Then on the thurs her and dh went along  for the 3rd u/s to make sure all had cleared out and she didnt need any further treatment ,and there , on the screen was a little bean , heart pumping away like mad !!!!! She couldnt believe it . She was told that she had been expecting twins and had lost one of them and the other could not be detected the week before !! she is 7wks 3d pg now but VERY nervous ,but it all seems to be going well ,hopefully . My point is , dont give up just yet and make sure that they have made sure of whatever they tell you . And of course , dont lose hope . I wish you all the best , take care xxxxxxx
You sound like me!! I am going through exactly what you are describing. I too, had a bood filled sac in my uterus. I did some research and this is called a luteal cyst and is quite common in early pregnancy. I was spotting in the early weeks, and my doctor believes this is what caused my spotting. Spotting is completly gone now and i go in for a scan tomorrow to see if we can see the baby. I went in at 5 weeks and saw nothing like you. Just a gestational sac. I have read that a lot of women have been misdiagnosed way to soon in their pregnancies and they go on to have healthy babies. You just have to try to relax and wait. Waiting is the only thing to do. So good luck. I wish you the best outcome. I can update you on my situation if you would like. I will definately know something tomorrow and hopefully it will be good news.
5 weeks really is far too early to get accurate u/s.  At my 5 1/2 weeks they didn't even see a sac!  It took till 7 weeks to see anything on the u/s and they almost missed it!  I had a large ovarian tumor they freaked out about instead.  

I'm now 22 weeks 3 days pregnant with a healthy baby girl so far.
Thanks for all of the positive advice. I really needed it. This is my first time on one of these forums, and I definitely think it was worth it. You guys put a lot of ease on things. I feel a whole lot better. I'm going to be patient, continue praying, and just hope for the best. I have an appointment for May 1st. So everyone just cross there fingers for me, and I'll keep you guys posted.

Take Care!
Absolutely don't be concerned about what is (or isn't) seen at a 5 week ultrasound.  They shouldn't even give them that early for all the fear and worry they generate.  (My fertility clinic won't do it that early for that exact reason.)  You should be fine.
Thanks for all the positive comments. I went for my 6 week u/s on april 18th only to be told I was only 5 weeks. Fine except I went through IVF and don't know how the dates could be off and neither did my doctor. Now I have to wait until May 5th to see if the sac and yolk have developed into baby. It's very stressful and I wish that it wasn't standard practice in IVF to do a scan at 6 weeks. Most pregnant women don't have u/s until the second trimester and you have to trust that if nothing is going wrong that all is fine. Remaining positive is all I can do.
Thank you so much for your posts. I am supposively 7 weeks pregnant. However, we are certain we couldn't have concieved before March 29. This our first biological child. I am 39 and my husband is 47. Needless to say we are ecstatic. Last week, on the 18th they did an ultarsound because they thought I was ectopic. I just had surgery on the 23rd of March so all are surprised I am pregnant. They found a precious dot in my uterus, took HCG levels and told em to come back next week. Well, of course, I did tons of research in the meantime. On April 20, my HCG level increased not doubled but increased. It was 1153 on April 18 and 1955 on April 20. Today, I had my ultrasound. They saw a larger oval but no heartbeat. The doctor told me to be optimistic but cautiously optimistic...and to be prepared for an abnormal pregnancy as they hoped to see a heart beat today but did not. He said this was not normal and if my numbers weren't wrong than my pregnancy was terminated and I needed to get prepared. Of course, we are devastated. They took more HCG levels but I won't know til Monday. The post on this site has been the only uplifting news I have had. I am hoping and praying all is well with our little one but Monday is so far away. Thank you for your posts and if anyone has any good stories on this circumstance I am all ears! God Bless!
I went in and had an u/s @ almost 5 1/2 weeks (because of minor cramping) and they found a cyst on my ovary and nothing in my sac.  They said this was normal for such an early u/s and told me to come to my regular appt that was set up before I let them know about the cramping. I went in, they took my blood, and my hormone levels were quite high so they want me back for another u/s tomorrow.  Scary!
Found this at link:

http://www.i-am-pregnant.com/encyclopedia/U/Ultrasound/

How accurate is the due date with an ultrasound?
Not as accurate as you may think! It depends on at what point during the pregnancy the ultrasound is taken.
5 - 7 weeks: Measurement of the sac at five to seven weeks gives an accuracy of plus or minus ten days.
7 - 14 weeks: Measuring the crown-rump length gives an accuracy of plus or minus three days at seven weeks
14 - 26 weeks: the measurement of the biparietal diameter of the baby's head, the femur length, and the head and abdominal circumference is used; the accuracy is plus or minus seven to ten days.
26 - 40 weeks: Later in pregnancy, the accuracy declines, and may be plus or minus twenty-one days.
I had my follow up u/s today. I should be 8w 5d but they said I definitely not 8w. The good news is the baby did grow since last time. They also said they think they saw a heartbeat but as it was so small they couldn't be sure. I now have to go for another u/s, but I don't know how long I have to wait. This is so stressful...
well iam supposed to be 5 wks pregnant but I'm not sure I have had 2 ultrasounds and nothing but a gestational sac and no yolk sac I went to the hospital ad they did hcg test and they were 5537 and a ultrasound they said they coud see something very small pea size and I'm so freaked out cause I have had a miscarriage before and if anyone hd something similar would help thank yu