I have had two c-sections, one at 41 1/2 weeks (emerg), and one at 39 weeks (scheduled b-c was only 14 months after first and risk of rupture was too high for vbac). I'm going to be scheduled for a c-section with this pregnancy, as I'm not comfortable with the rupture rate of up to 5% (this was NOT an easy or a quick decision - I would SO LOVE to have a vbac). Anyway, my question is whether any of you have been scheduled for a cesarean at 38 weeks, and if so, whether baby had any breathing problems. I'm a little concerned that they want to schedule me at 38 rather than 39, especially since the ultrasound date indicated a slightly later edd than my lmp (going by ultrasound, I'd only be at 37 1/2 weeks or so when they perform the c). Any comments/experience?
Chances are they are scheduling at 38 weeks to avoid the chance that you would go into labor on your own. At leats that would be my guess. I wish I had more info for you on this, hopefully someone else can offer more insight.
The problem is that here in Canada I don't really have that choice without completely switching docs... and otherwise she has been great. I would really rather wait till 39 or even 40 weeks. I noticed a difference between my daughter (at 39) and my son (at 41) when it came to breathing problems, alertness, etc., and am worried about delivering at 37 weeks and a few days... especially because of scheduling issues in the operating room!! I really wouldn't want baby to end up in the nicu, even for 24 hours... it makes it so much harder to start breastfeeding!!
A baby at 38 weeks is considered full term according to my doctors. I was going to have one between 38-39 wks but my baby came 2 days before the date was scheduled. I did read that at 38 wks the babies organs are all formed and functioning so there shouldnt be a problem
I didnt have a sceduled C-section at 38 weeks but that is when my DS decided to come. I did in fact have a C-section though after 17.5 hours of labor!! My next one will be scheduled though. He didnt have ANY breathing problems or any problems for that matter. Good luck to you!! Are you having an Amnio done??
Haven't decided on the amnio. If I do, it'll be late (36 weeks), as it would be to check for aniridia (rare genetic eye disorder) - results would really only help us plan trip to eye specialist in Halifax. They haven't suggested doing one to check for lung maturity... the general consensus is that after 36 weeks the baby's lungs (and other organ systems) should be fully mature. I just don't like delivering early for non-medical reasons.
Thanks for all the support... I have a docs appointment in about half an hour and will try to either move the date forward or see if they'll do amnio... thanks again. Sometimes you just need someone else to say 'YOU'RE NOT CRAZY - I'D BE CONCERNED TOO!'... have a wonderful day, ladies.
Just a quick note, your doc will undoubtably tell you the baby will be fine, and by the odds, he will be right. It's up to you to decide if you are willing to go with the odds, or to take the added step of either moving the date or getting the amnio, to have the extra assurance. Your baby, NOT THE DOCTORS. They would like you to gloss over that fact.
I dont know anything about cesarian (sorry for spelling) but I know that a baby after 36 weeks is not concidered early, and all should be fine. I myself was born c-sec at around 36 weeks. And Im fine:):):) Good luck!!
I'd have the amnio especially if you may need one anyway. It is not rare at all to have some infants who still have some trouble with lung immaturity up to 38 weeks. C/S babies are furthur at risk from surgical delivery. It used to be customary to do an amnio for maturity prior to any elective C/S, but lately it is not generally done, as long as you are at least 38 weeks.
If you might need one anyway, have them add the extra test for maturity. If your baby isn't mature then, you might need another the day or two prior to the section.
Most times, the breathing difficulties encountered at the 35-37 week age simply require supplemental oxygen and extra monitoring in the hospital for another few days, but I'm with you. Why take the chance?
i had a scheduled c/s with my son when he was 38 1/2 weeks. i was diabetic, which increased the chance of his lungs not being developed. the nurse told me they called baby boys born to caucasian diabetic mothers "wimpy white boys" because their lungs take the longest to develop. however, my little one's lungs were very well developed and needed no resucitation. the only issue we had was what every baby born to c/s usually has, they don't go through "the ringer" (i.e. birth canal) so all the fluid doesn't get pushed out of their lungs. but he was okay within a day or two of crying and getting the fluid out. good luck to you and your little one.
Hi, I was scheduled for my c-section at 38.5 weeks and it was because she was breech. My doctor's reasoning was because she didn't want me going into labor and having an ER situation. She was born at 7.10 and perfect with a 9/10 Apgar. She was right to do so because that morning of my surgery, I began having some strong contractions while they were prepping me! Also my friend had the same situation, scheduled at 38 weeks and her water broke in the middle of the night before her appointment for surgery. Wierd!! They moved her time up to 6 AM and all was well with her baby too. Good luck!!
I would try to wait till 39 weeks. Especially since there is a question in your mind about your actual due date. My sister works on the ob floor and she said there are alot of babies that need help at 37-38 weeks. Yes, they will probably be fine, but why have to mess with NICU if there is a way to avoid it.
Don't let the doctor force you into having it that early if you aren't comfortable with it.
I had a c section at 39 weeks after a failed induction and when the baby was delivered the apgar was 6 she needed a bit of suction but then it was 9 after 5 minutes I didnt know this until a few months after the birth I also had gestational diabetes i'm currently 18 weeks pregnant and do a glucose test in a couple of weeks and if I have gd again I'm going to have another c section at 38 weeks which I think will be good at least they get the baby out quickly and you dont have the labour its just the recovery which is a little sore but alright as you know. All will be good for you having the baby at 38 weeks anything after 37 weeks is considered full term good luck.
My son turned breech just a day before I hit 36 weeks. I went in to my appt. and they had me come in early since I had been having lots of pain, contractions, and pressure. I went in to the hospital that afternoon to have him turned and was told that there was a good chance I may have to be delivered that day if my baby went in to distress. Afterwards I was warned that it was very likely I could go into labor at any time since they manipulated my uterus and irritated it. At 36 weeks they would not stop it, baby should be fine, although they prefer 37 weeks. My stubborn little boy turned back and forth till settling vertex at 39 weeks, just avoiding that C-section and made me wait 1 1/2 weeks overdue. Good luck at the appt.!
hi i delivered last week via planned induction at 38 plus 4 days my bubby was absolutly fine weighing in at 8lb14.5 onces the main thing here is is to make sure your dates are right if your skeptical dont do it i was but went thriugh with it anyway and i was lucky my baby was healthy although spending 2 days in a humidi crib due to other problems we are at home now and doing fine good luck to you.
Thanks for all the responses. I didn't get to the doc yesterday after all as she was on vacation (saw another one). I'll wait till my appointment on the 19th of July... I am pretty sure baby would be fine at 38 weeks, but am not 100% sure of dates, so I think I will ask them to find a way to wait until 39 weeks... wish me luck!
They Induced me at 37 weeks and 5 days, and my son did have breathing problems. I did smoke off and on with him, but he had jaundice and all so there were signs of prematurity. He was ona ventilator for 3 days and was that close to 38 weeks. I will never know if it was from the cigarettes or from him just being born a little early. They said it did sound like prematurity but like I said I will never know..but with this baby I haven't smoked so it did teach me a good lesson there :) I think your little one will be fine. I think my baby was more around 35 weeks or so as he was very jaundice and his lungs were really under developed. Althoug he weighed 7lbs 6 oz! so dang good size for a preemie! Take care and good luck with the baby!
My wife has 36 and 1/2 weeks pregancy and she has cervix stitch. Which needs to be removed at 36 weeks.Doctor is telling to go for C Section this week once touch the 37 week ( 9 Aug 2007) . Is it safe to do that.Please let me know . This is first pregancy and i want my baby to be healthy.The baby is at present 3 kgs ( 6.66 lbs) .Please advice
I had my daughter by c-section at 38 weeks and she was just fine. She was already 9 lbs. 2 oz. and was 2 weeks early. She is now 9 months old. I am sure you will be just fine but I would get a second opinion if you are concerned. Good luck to you! :)
I am currently in the neonatal intensive care unit of a children's hospital waiting every hour for word on my newborn son's (3 1/2 days old) lungs and life. He was born at 38 wks and 3 days. He weighed 8 lbs and 9 ozs, was supposed to have planned c-section for about 60 hours later than when we did it because of possible amniotic fluid leaking. I REGRET IT NOW!!!! If he survives and my husband and I feel like we are able to handle another pregnancy I would never schedule a c-section again!! My son is on a ventilator and hooked up to every possible machine there is. He has IV's everywhere, I haven't held him or breastfed him yet. He is being given a drug that basically paralyzes him so he can let his lungs rest and hopefully recover. No one can tell me any definite answers but his official diagnosis is respiratory distress syndrome complicated by persisitant pulmonary hypertension. We don't know his prognosis, but the waiting game is killing us. He is considered critical and life threatening, yet stable. His test results haven't changed and the only way the doc will go to further measures is for him to get sicker or he can just get better. How screwed up is that? Mothers, don't risk this please!!!!
If your water was leaking, then they had to do the C/Section, if you needed one (you didn't say the reason for the scheduled C/S).
Your story is unusual, but its exactly why I cringe when I see ladies here blithely reassuring everyone that just because they had a baby at X number of weeks and it was fine, that everyones baby will be fine.
In regards to the person who said "36 weeks is term", that is wrong. Up until 37 weeks is considered "late preterm", and these infants are subject to some problems. Most do fine, however, some will not.
Your situation is very unusual, though. At 38 weeks, the vast majority of infants lungs are mature. You and your child are in my prayers.
i just had a csetion 9 weeks ago and i was 38 weeks exactly. my baby is great she was small 5lbs 1 oz. but i didnt think she would be very big. have they said anything about your fluid? she was breech and he said she didnt have enough fluid to turn on her own.i was scared but there the doctors
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.