Maternal & Child Community
Sciatic nerve?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Sciatic nerve?

I am 15w3d pregnant and for the last week I have been having problems with my left leg.  I have had problems with my sciatic nerve being aggravated in the past, but it's always been pain in the back of my leg.  For the past few days, whenever I'm standing for about 20 minutes or more, I have pain and numbness in the front part of my left thigh.  I have pain deep, near the bone, and the surface of my leg is pretty numb.  The surface area of the numbness is about 6 in. wide by 8 or 9 in. long.  Has anyone else ever had this problem?  Could it be my sciatic?  I had a doctor's appointment today and forgot to mention it.  Of course, it wasn't bothering me at the time, so I didn't even think about it.
I'm sorry you are having that pain! I had the exact thing happen to me with my last pregnancy. My Dr. told me the baby or something was pushing on the siatic (sciatic) nerve. As the months went by the pain just got worse and in the last months my husband had to help me up the stairs it was hurting so bad. Everytime I would put pressure on my left leg the pain would be unbearable.
After I had my baby I was told by a friend that getting a massage might have made a difference...it helped her.(somebody that knows what they are doing and knows how to work on a pregnant woman, my husband only made it worse when he would massage my back). I don't know about all insur. but mine would have covered it with a Dr. precription. Might want to look into that. I couldn't find anything to help me. Wish I would have known about that before I had my baby.
Good luck!!
I AM A MASSAGE THERAPIST AND YES GET A MASSAGE IF YOUR DOC SAYS IT'S OK.  LIKE THE ABOVE POSTER SAID MAKE SURE THEY KNOW HOW TO DO A PREGNANCY MASSAGE.  ASK YOUR DOC FIRST YOU MAY EVEN NEED A NOTE.  ALL ELSE FAILS GET A TENNIS BALL AND SIT ON IT OR HAVE HUBBY ROLL IT AROUND ON YOUR GLUTES...BETTER KNOWN AS YOUR BUTT CHEEKS...LOL.  I GOT A MASSAGE EVERY MONTH WHILE I WAS PREGGO.
When you say to get a tennis ball and sit on it, what do you mean?  Is there a pressure point for it?  Do you sit on it and kind of move around in the chair so that it massages the glutes?
OH SORRY YES.  JUST WORK IT AROUND AND AROUND.  IT WILL HELP LOOSEN MUSCLES THAT ARE PINCHING THE NERVE.
I had the same thing happen to me with my pregnancy. I also had very bad pain in my butt cheek (real deep). It help to get on all fours and have my dh rub it real hard. Other than that I pretty much had to deal with it. It went away when the pregnancy was over.