Maternal & Child Community
Septate Uterus????

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Septate Uterus????

Hi All,
When I read abour the ultra sound post today, Thought I as well put this.

The first U/S for me happened at 6 to 7 weeks in which the U/S Doc diagnosed me with Septate Uterus along with sighting yoke sac.I was asked to go in for a second U/S by 10th week to check the viability if nothing has gone wrong till then(like and M/C)!!!

In this second U/S the Doc did not find a septate uterus ( but got a nice 170 heart Beat), so to clarify she did a trans Vaginal too.Nothing turned out in this too.
But Gynec did not let me breath free, she said the septa could have been pushed aside by the growing fotus, and let us see as the pregnancy Pregresses!!!

After these two I again had another u/S at 14 W for N/T chek up.Nothing showed up in this too.
I hv again got an apointment for U/S at September end at my 23/24 Wk which is an anomality scan.Any Idea what is this for?.Hope nothing related to the septa.
I am still worried abt this septa thing....
A septum is soft and can indeed be pushed out of the way by a growing fetus and its sac.  The only time it would not is if it is firmly sealed to the uterus at the sides as well as at the top.  The ultrasound you mentioned is to look carefully at the baby for any signs of abnormality.  It has nothing to do with the septum, just is looking at the baby only.  It is done routinely at about that point, mine is scheduled for week 21.  All the best!
They just look at all of the organs to make sure everything looks good. They look at the kidneys, bladder, brain, spine, heart, cord, etc. It has nothing to do with the other possible problem. It is done around 20 weeks in almost every pregnancy.
Hey both, so there is nothing to really worry about the septa, and the Scan is a routine one.... Thank Goodness.

If any one would like to use this space as open forum, Pls do so.
I do not want to limit the space for others.

I recently had 2 mc back to back. At my ultrasounds (and I had many vaginal), the dr. mentioned "septations in the uterus." What does that mean? I never got a clear answer from my dr.
You could google bicornuate uterus or septate uterus or even heart-shaped uterus and find some good x-rays and ultrasounds showing what one looks like.  A septum is a little tissue that hangs down from the top of the uterus inside, and in some people it can be as big as almost a whole wall that separates the uterus almost into two parts, in other people it just is kind of small and insignificant.  If an embryo happens to implant right on the septum, there is a chance it will not get an adequate blood supply and will miscarry.  My fertility doc says many septums are small and flexible and push out of the way as the baby grows.  Your doc should have told you exactly what is going on with yours and if it means anything in terms of childbearing.  (Some women have two uteruses, two cervixes, the whole works!)  Generally, just a notation about septums will not be something that will make an ob-gyn nervous about your chances in carrying a baby.  It has to be something more significant.