Maternal & Child Community
Severe Diaper Rash-bleeding

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Severe Diaper Rash-bleeding

My dd will be 4 weeks old tomorrow, she has a sever diaper rash, when I wipe her bottom their is even blood. i took her to the dr on friday and was given a presciption for Nystatin cream. It is not helping, it actually seems to be making it spread. This morning it was so raw, I feel so bad for her. Starting today I have started putting her in cloth diapers, i had them before and now wished I would have used them, the breath better than disposables. I have also given her an oatmeal bath which she seemed very comfortable in and I have left her bum diaper free to air dry for 2 hrs. My question is............Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to out her on bum? I checked out google and there were tons up recommendations but it it would nice to hear from a mom!!

I read to use bag balm or udder budder which is actually used for cow udders......the store that I could buy it at is cloed today (sunday)
I read to brown flour in a pan and put that on her bum
I read to use butt paste......which is what I was using before so clearly that wont work
I read about triple cream (never heard of it)

Anyone have a tried and true cure?!
all of my kids seem to get bad diaper rash bleeding and all  (i am preggos with 4th child) and i swear to this day by desitine creamy it really works i also let them hardly have a diaper on when possible i know this early in age is kinda hard but it helps in the long run
I have Burt's Bees stuff everyone keeps giving to me it works well but more expensive. Have you had it looked at though?????? My new nephew has had the same problem and my sis in law was told it was a yeast infection.....you might want it looked at.
leave without a diaper as much as posible!!!
i swear by desitin also.Theres 2 types go for the thicker stuff.Its overnight one.I use it all the time and my daughter is 21 months old and never had diaper rash.I feel so bad for her poor wee pet i know its hard to see them uncomfortable like that xx
I use Vagisil when it looks like a yeast based rash (which a lot of the time they are).  His doctor also said it was just fine to use as a diaper cream.  Also, the Boston Children's Hospital recommends that you can take plain Maalox (the classic kind, liquid Maalox) and don't shake the bottle...after washing the baby's bum dip a cotton ball in the clear liquid that is right at the top of the bottle of Maalox, and dab that on and let it dry.  
Maddie just had an ear infection which means she was put on antibiotics....=====>DIAPER RASH!!! =(

I was desperate, didn't know what else to do, until I started rinsing her bum down every time I changed a diaper instead of using wipes, then I put a little bit of powder and then coat the area real thick with Vics Vaporub.... it worked!!!! I saw it online and the diaper rash is gone now! (after only one day). We also hung out at the deck a couple of hours yesterday and she was buck naked the entire time. (she went poo poo a couple times, but that was ok... we just rinsed it off right then and there!)

Then I gave her a bath and the same ritual.

I also read that you can put a couple of scoops of baking soda in their baths... just be careful when they rub their eyes... as it will burn!!

Good luck and let us know if something works better for you!
one of my girls had it for weeks after "trying out" a certain kind of diaper. Nothing seemed to work, so I would have her with no diaper, for about 1hr every 3-4 hrs as it was cold at that time. Johnson's baby oil or coconut oil helped with drying. Since then she has been very senstive, have to change quickly after she poops otherwise she is bound to have some rashes and then a thick paste of Balmax works fine.
I second ventz suggestion of just wiping her with a wet washcloth or rinsing her bottom off in the sink. Those wipes have chemicals in them and they only make it worse. I stopped using wipes when DD was just a few days old and she got a diaper rash. She is almost 2 and I still do not use wipes, I just bring 3 wet baby cloths in a ziplock baggie where ever we go. I bring extra dry ones just in case I need to wet them if we have a big mess. And Desitin overnight is AWESOME!!! I hope that helps.
It might be the diapers you're using.  Try a different type of diaper...

I use desitin (sp?) on all four of my children, but luckily I never had it that severe, close, but never bled.  

I would try to talk to the doctor again that you seen and see what else they could do to help.  

Good luck
It is very likely that baby has reaction to the wipes or brand of diapers. My son has eczema and is alergic (allergic) to like everything and had problems with wipes and had reactions to diapers. I switched to Huggies brand of everything and he never had problems again. He had problems with the wipes, diapers, bath soap, lotion, everything until I started using Huggies brand of everything. I always recommend Huggies.....I just love Huggies.
Air that tushy out!!!  Also it may take awhile to see any improvement with the nystatin.  My dd also had a yeast infection(raised diaper rash with little blood spots) from antibiotics and it took about 3 weeks to heal up completely.  yeast are not killed as easily as bacteria so just keep at it.
thank you ladies so much for your responses.

I realized I had just changed from organic chlorine free wipes to pampers sensitive wipes. ( the ony reason I did this, was b/c the town we live in doesnt have any organic stores)
Also since this rash has gotten so bad I have swtiched to cloth diapers and I am using wet wash cloths to wipe her bum at any diaper change. I have also left her to air dry during the day as much as possible.

I will let you know that I did go out today and buy the Bag Balm, I have used it twice and already her bum have improved!! Go buy it!!!
i'd recommend the bag balm or the triple antibiotic cream...both are good and should help =)
Try white vinager and then put bag balm on.  It will clear the baby up in a heartbeat!