Shaking Breastmilk
I always shake the bottles I take out and heat up that contain the pumped milk. I won't anymore, I guess it damages the proteins and makes it lose some of the benefits to baby. I guess it's supposed to be swirled like a tornado-never shaken. Just thought this might be useful information for the breastfeeding mommies. Especially the ones who give bottles of pumped milk. Freezing destroys some good stuff, too. I've been trying to give my son fresh pumped milk and not dip into the frozen reserves. I'll use the frozen for back up and with cereal someday when/if I quit breastfeeding. I can't even imagine quitting at this point though. I want to make it to a year.

Don't Shake the Milk
Linda J. Smith, BSE, FACCE, IBCLC

Why not?

Because shaking expressed mothers' milk (or boiling or freezing it) denatures the shaped molecules of the protective proteins, leaving only the pieces - the amino acids - the parts. Lactoferrin, lysozyme, and other protective components work their protection magic when they are in their original shaped molecular structure. Some components remain intact, even during freezing, shaking or heating. They not only protect the gut from many kinds of infection, but also prevent inflammation of the gut lining. Even broken up, the separate amino acids are still really good stuff and are digested by the baby as nutrients.

Imagine a set of pop-beads assembled into a necklace or bracelet. When the beads are acting as a bracelet or necklace, they are doing their job as protective elements. When you break apart the beads, you have in your hand many individual chunks of amino acids which are then digested.

Cellular components are also susceptible to damage by physical stress. After all, they are living cells.

With mother's milk, you get at least two functions for the price of one. With manufactured formula, you only get the individual beads, never the necklace or bracelet. And never the living cells.

So, please handle human milk gently, respectfully and kindly. It's far more than perfect food for babies - it's a living tissue and protective shield too.

tmv
Yep, just rotate gently. It will mix.Never microwave or use glass bottles.
thanks for the info! i just told dh the other day that you're not supposed to shake it. he asked why, and i couldn't answer (i said because they say so, that's why- whoever "they" may be).

i'm freezing tons too- probably have at least a month's supply saved up already. i know it's not as good as fresh, but "they" say it's still much better than formula. in fact, even the formula companies say frozen milk is better for baby than formula. we never got to breast feed, but i was blessed with an abundant supply.
Thanks for sharing..thats interesting. I had no idea and was shaking it...good to know.