Maternal & Child Community
Sharp pains during pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Sharp pains during pregnancy

Hi everyone. Just a quick question..

As of today I am 13 weeks, 1 day pregnant. I have experienced no bleeding, no cramping, or any miscarriage signs.. Just morning sickness and all the usual pregnancy symptoms. I've been to the doctor twice now and he says that everything is going fine. I even heard the heartbeat at 10w4d which was a strong 160. Anyway my question is..

Has anyone ever experienced sharp pains in the vagina birth canal region? Every now and then when I am laying on my side or sitting in a weird way, I get a real sharp pain there and I don't know what causes it. It usually only lasts a few seconds and then I don't experience it for a few days. Anyway, I asked my doctor and he said that it is normal, but I still can't shake the feeling that its not. I also get some not-so-sharp pains in my uterus from time to time which I have been told is the uterus stretching.

If anyone has experienced this before or knows a little better about what it might be, please respond. Thanks.
Katie
Yes I have experienced that. Im not sure if I ever did so early, but it could just be everything stretching and making room for baby. The sharp pains in the tummy I get and that is usually ligement stretching..It sounds like things are going well though, so I would try (as hard as it is) to relax and enjoy your pregnancy.
I get that pain now, but I am 34 weeks.  I think it is the baby pressing on something and creating pain that radiates to the vaginal canal.  I don't feel as though the pain is related to the vaginal canal.  But, at 34 weeks, baby's head is down and I can feel her on my pelvic floor.  That is probably what it is, especially when you say it happens when you are on your side or laying down.  Just that change in baby's position could be making brief contact with whatever it is that causes that pain.  As far as the uterine pain, that would be the stretching pain.  Sometimes it will make you wince because they can be pretty sharp.  But normal.  

Regards,

Shelly
I am very early into my pregnancy also and experienced sharp and mild shooting pains there. I called a friend that just had 2 children back to back..she said she also had those pains . She said not to be scared, it was just my body geting ready for the new baby. She said she was scared she was having a miscarrige. But of cpourse she wasn't!! SO don't get scared but if the pain is very bad or goes on for a long time see the doc ASAP!! Good Luck
Sammysbaby-I know of what you speak. My doctor and I have a very humorous relationship and when I told her I was having pains, she said "sharp stabbing ones?" I replied yes and she said, in her infinite compassion and wisdom, "it'll only get worse"...and man, she wasn't kidding. It's more than likely round ligament pain. Making room for the baby. The ligaments attach from almost in your thigh to your belly button, so there free pain range in those areas. Massage helps. I hope you feel better.
I swear I want to write a book about all of the things "they" don't tell you about pregnancy pings and pangs. People say that no one would get p/g if they knew, but I disagree. Knowledge is power! :-)

Blessings,

Twinkle
19wks.
Hi everyone. Thank you for all your help in answering my question. I feel alot better knowing that other people have gone through the same thing that I am going through.
Thanks again.
Katie
Hello, I am 16 weeks pregnant - ever so excited, but I have dull aches in the front and back today - Do you think all is OK?
I'm so glad to see so many people respond as I have been wondering if these pains were normal as well.  Thanks so much for asking the question!  I'm very early into my pregancy (5 weeks) and am also feeling sharp pains and cramping.

Hi all I'm 5wks couple of days...and I have been experiencing some pains and cramps (gets me thinking I'm gettin my monthly)esp when I layin down...I usually swithch onto my left side as I read somewhere that it's a good position for blood flow to the placenta...now is this ok to be happening early in the stages of pregnancy?  I know it's the crucial stage where brains, spinal cord is forming...could someone out there jst point out the ok in this. please.
Hi everyone.......I am just about 36 weeks pregnant.  And i also have been feeling the sharp pains.  Everyone tells me something different about them though.  Some people have said its stretching.  Some said possible braxton hicks.  Maybe the babys sitting in a funny position.  I dont know hehe.  Everyone has their own thing about it.  I asked my doctor and he didnt say anything about it.  I forgot to ask about it again as probably like everyone else i have tons of questions to ask before i get to the doctor but once i get there i forget all of them.  Anyways.  The pain feels like a stabbing knife going right between my legs.  Sorry to sound so blunt.  Just wondering if anyone else feels it the same.  The pain only lasts a few quick seconds but i can sure tell you that its very painful for thoes short seconds.  I have been getting them more and more as days go by.  Anyways.  Some ideas from other pregnant/post pregnant would be good.  Thanks - Kimberly-19-First baby
I am 31 weeks and 3 days now and I have been on terb since 17 weeks to stop contractions (or at least slow them down). All day yesterday and today after I have a contraction i have this stabbing pain right between my legs and it feels like some1 is stabbing me with a knife. I don't know what it is and was wondering if anyone had ever experienced this before. I don't know if I should go to the hospital or wait till monday and call the doctor. Any one have any advice????
You might try posting this question as its own thread with its own title.  It will probably be seen by more people.  Good luck!
I am approx. 9 weeks and i have been having a weird pain in my lower abdomen. I starts at my belly button and goes straight dow from there. It is sharp, but not painful. It is just a really wierd feeling that i have. Is this normal or is there something wrong with me.
i'm 6 weeks pregnant and i have been experiencing these pains for a while now. i also get severe cramping and i just noticed a brown discharge. I'm going to the doctors for the first time tomorrow. hopefully everything is ok. I definately know what you mean when you say it feels like someone is stabbing you. i literally scream sometimes!
hi i experienced the same pains as u.im 13 weeks now mine stopped around 10 weeks  no need 2 worry as hard as it is as i was a nervous wreck as its my first but the pain your experiencing feel like a period is going to happen but it is your utrus stretching so its comfortable for your baby to grow in hope you enjoy the rest of your pregnancy
i am twelve weeks pregnant and just had some sahrp abdominal pain and tenderness.also i was spotting very little....is this normal?this is my second pregnancy but miscarried the first time and so i am very worried all the time that this is something bad:(
so ever since i found out i was pregnant ive been having very sharp stabbing pains in my lower abdomen or uterus, im not sure. any way so i went to the E.R and the dr said i was only 2 weeks pregnant (counting from day of conception, not last period) and both abdomenal (abdominal) ultrasound and transvaginal ultrasound showed nothing because it was too early. but they did find a cyst on one of my ovarys and that may be the source of all my pain. They say Im either having a normal pregnancy that too early to see on ultrasound, had a misscariage already and still have preg hormone in my system or am about to have an ectopic pregnancy which again is too early to see. Im very worried. these cramps are like menstrual cramps x50. there is NO bleeding or spotting just doubling over in pain when they occur. PLEASE HELP!!
I get loads of sharp stabbing pains in my vagina and when i walk a few hundred yards it feels like my uterus is about to burst. its not cause my belly is really big or anyting cause i am actually quite small. i am 31 weeks pregnant and it feels so low and feel like my waters could break  at any moment. i have had two children before and this is my third with a new partner and there is a twelve year gap .what worries me is that i got all this at 38 weeks with my other 2 . i am 39 does it make me more prone to a premature baby cause i am getting on a bit?
Hi, im 31 weeks also and having the same senations as you, this is my 4th child and never felt this feeling with any of my other children. But i am glad that im not the only person feeling like this.
hello, i am 9 wks, all has been fine so far however until last night.  i woke up to a sharp stabbing in my belly, scared the crap outta me.  i layed there for a lil, then got up to go pee, while on the toilet i almost passed out, i got all clammy, felt nauseas, and my vision got blurry, it was pretty scarey. i keep thinking of this stabbing sensation and im getting nervous, does anyone have any advice?  im going to the docs today, i have to call them, im sure they will fit me in...
I'm at the end of my tww after IVF. Blood test is Friday and I've been getting BFPs all week at home, so I feel pretty good about that. However, I am experiencing these random sharp pains on the right and left side.. mostly right. It's definitely not cramping. Totally different. Sounds a lot like what everyone is mentioning. I can stand the pain except sometimes it shocks me to feel it but I can't stand the worry. Did anyone experience the pains this early? Could it really be as simple as everything stretching? We implanted two and I was told the pain can be more when the uterus is preparing for twins but this is my first time.
I've been having the same feeling and worring about it. I keep thinking the next time I go in for blood work my HCG will be gone! What a nightmare. I have sharp pains that come and go, then cramps, then I will feel nothing. I'm 5 weeks.
well am nine weeks and i have pains all the time but i now know its not just me. i feel so better now thank yall so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am 34 weeks & 5 days and was experiencing extremely painful sharp pains in my abdominal last night. Not wanting to immediately rush to the hospital at midnight on a Saturday I decided to research possible causes. I was having 'gas like' pains in my lower abdominal that were excruciating at times. I was truly attributing them to gas until the pain was paralyzing. As instructed by my doctor I reluctantly went to the labor & delivery triage and was told the 'gas pains' were full blown contractions. After I was monitored to ensure that I was not having 6 contractions within 1 hour they released me. I am now on bedrest and have to drink at least 1 gallon of water a day. If you don't have the opportunity or want to spend the time & energy to go to the hospital I would try resting and counting between pains. Don't mistake gas pains for contractions, cause I truly thought I was being a bit of a baby. Good luck :)
I am only 8 weeks pregnant and have very Sharp stomach and vaginal pains my ob/gyn told me its normal its just stretching to fit the baby. Also my rib cage has been hurting bad too.
i am 18 weeks and 2 days pregnant and this morning i had very sharp pain in my abdomen that lasted only 2 minutes what does this mean?
Hey every one am Lauren and am 15weeks and 5days this is my first pregnancy and I get this sharp pains by my lower belly I don't have any bleeding just feels so sore its sharp pains Pls help