Maternal & Child Community
Shooting pains in vagina in early pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I just got a positive test and today I started having these shooting pains in my groin area, kind of right above my vagina. Sorry if TMI. I'm hoping someone else has experienced this? It's not cramping, more like a twinge of sharp to dull pain that is only there for a second. It comes and goes. Could this be ligaments stretching already? I never had this last time. I'm also on progesterone supp and started them today, could this cause it? I'm so concerned about having an ectopic pregnancy, is this a symptom of that? Thanks!
First I had ectopic 8/25 with NO symptoms other than spotting & low rising levels.I am pregnant know (5wks) Everything is WAY diff.I had pain & preesure in vagina,streaching in sides with sudden movements.Everything in the book.I was convinced ectopic only to see a small sac with fetol pole on monday.So take it one day at a time.Every preg. is diff. this is my 4th! Two kids,1 ectopic & this one.Unless your cramping or bleeding or very concerned,go to dr. for your own piece of mind.Good luck...nanis
  I myself am in my 19-20th week and have not experienced this.  I did want to tell you that my boss told me she went through the same thing and nothing bad came of it.  The doctor she had told her it was related to the baby pressing on nerves.  So I wouldn't worry but yes, you should ask your dr. so you can calm your mind.  Good Luck:)
Well, I'm especially nervous right now because I don't have insurance until the first of Jan. So, I have an appointment Jan 16th, but that's a while away! I'm nervous something will go wrong and we will have to pay out of pocket.. My doctor also doesn't do hcg blood tests or anything, so I don't know my numbers. I wish I could do that, or go for an early ultrasound. I'm sure she'd let me, but no insurance! Hope it's ok..
I felt them with all my pregnancies also, I called them sharp shooting pains too, strange feeling.  I think you are fine, no bleeding or cramping is always a good sign.  Try and relax and stay off the internet!  Just teasing but it is what My dr. always likes to tell me, call them, stay off the net.
Thank you everyone! That makes me relax a bit. I will try to stay off the internet, that's what my husband says too! It's going to be a long 4 weeks until my first appointment...
When I was pregnant with my son (perfectly normal and healthy) I had terrible pains in the early weeks.  I used to say it felt like someone was trying to climb out that opening and using their fingernails to do it!  Once in a while I would get them all of a sudden and then nothing.  I think it can be normal.
What you are feeling is completely normal. When I was 4 to 6 weeks pregant, I had a lot of twinges and moderately painful cramping. After 6 weeks I've only been feeling the occaisional twinge. I'm almost 13 weeks now and everything is great!
good luck!
I know the feeling.  If it is like mine, it almost felt like a shock that lasted just long enough to notice.  Made me very nervous having miscarried before.  Went to Dr yesterday and baby is in the uterus with a heartbeat.  I am only at 7 weeks.  Surprisingly I haven't noticed it since.  good luck to you and try not to worry too much.
Hi there, I'm 10.5 weeks pregnant and I've had the occassional sharp shooting pain as well - feels like it is going upwards from my vagina (ie like a sharp knife thrust upwards!) but it does instantly go away. Is this what you've been feeling?  This is my 3rd pregnancy (2nd miscarried at 9wks 3 days) and I am pretty sure from memory I had these same pains in my first pregnancy towards the end. (that pregnancy all went well and my boy is now 22 months. So, maybe these pains are a form of braxton hicks???? I really don't know but would say you have nothing to worry about.
I had the sharp, stabbing pains in my vagina when I was pregnant with my son. I was around 9 wks when I first felt them. The dr. told me nothing to worry about its just your muscles stretching and pelvis opening preparting for the baby to arrive. :) good luck everyone
Im having shooting pains in what feels like my ovaries, My periods not due until the 19th and todays the 3rd, i had a short period my last, do you think i could possibly be pregnant ?
hi i just recently found out that im pregnant. However i started bleeding about a week ago and  went to the doctors that day i was worried they told me that everything was fine and they had me do blood work. two days later i was still bleeding and i took the same blood test again. my levels were 3429 the first time and 6739 the second time now i go again on monday which is 5 days since the first day of bleeding to do the test agian. they keep telling me the baby is fine. but ive been getting these pains in my vaginia area like a tugging feeling and im still bleeding. im only 6 weeks .. im trying to stay calm and not worry but this is our first baby and im scared im going to miscarry.. please help.
Me & my boyfriend had sex a couple days before my ovulation day & a couple days after (which I could be wrong about my OD) but my period isn't due for a couple days an usually I have sharp pains in my vagina like once or twice a couple days before I start & don't feel it till the next month, but the past couple of days the pain has been more than once or twice, it's been randomnly all throught the day, could that be an early sign of pregnancy?
I'm havin these pains to but I keep gettin negative test. On my clear blue easy pregnancy test I got a negative but after 10 mintues it showed a postive...I'm goin to the clinic tomorrow to see what's wrong. I feel like I'm pregnant because I feel like I gotta throw up but never do... I don't know what's goin on
This post caught my eye bc I started having these pains today too. It feels like a sharp sudden pain in my VG, but the pain only goes up as far as say a tampon would (if that makes any sense at all). It only last for a second, but has been on and off all day. The pain is NOT in my overies, it stays in my VG. I just had an IU 5 days ago, is it even possible to be feeling any effects already???
I get these pains everyday and im realy starting to worry. Im just a little over 13weeks pregnant. the other day i fell at work, no on my stomach though, my knees hit the floor realy ahrd and it was very painful. ididnt go to the doctor, but since then i started feeling this sharp pain in my vagina. cannot even walk without feeling the pain. And also feeling this sharp pain in my chroin. I have a son, turning three in July, and i never had any problems while pregnant with him. wat could be the cause of this? Could it be the fall? I didnt fall on my stomach and there is no bleeding.  I cannot afford to go to the doctor as i wish at present because my medical has not been approved yet. What can i do. ***Worried mom***
i had sex last week and today i woke up with sharp pains in the vagina area. no i did not use a condom, and im worried. could i be pregnant? please help!
I am 29 weeks pregnat and i am also having sharp pains in my vagina and i have never had this with my other 2 children and its a very sharp pain, when i walk, sit down everything i do it hurts but its just like u said just a real quick pain and then boom its gone but its a constant pain all day long and i cant stand it i got two other children to look after and everytime the want something i get up and get it and hurt the entire time.
I need help , I never been pregnant and I missed my period for this month I came on last month around the 10th its now the 19th of May I'm.confused tho because I keep getting shooting pains in my vagina area but I always used to get it 2 days before my period was due but I'm now a week and 2 days late still no sign of my period just pains still am I pregnant or just super late PLEASE HELP ... and no I'm not on the pill and my periods always been regular??
Im getting period like pains in my vagina really bad shooting pains is it normal at 7 weeks?