Maternal & Child Community
Should I have an ultrasound?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Should I have an ultrasound?

Hi, this is my first pregnancy and I am TOTALLY overwhelmed! I am 11 weeks along and my doctor hasn't preformed an ultrasound. All my friends told me that they had ultrasounds on thier first appointment so I was so excited at thisthought.....but my doctors haven't felt it nessecary. I REALLY want to know that everything is ok and don't know how to stress that to my doctor. I think an ultrasound would help put my mind at ease. Can anyone share thier experience with me. How can I convince my doctor to give me an ultrasound. My insurance will pay for it. Thank you.
Some dr do not do ultra sounds until the "Big One" (the one done around 16-20 weeks).  My OB does them early but the dr's with my other 2 pregnancies did not do them until around 16 weeks.  You can ask your dr to do one, it's your right.  Hopefully you have a dr you can talk to!
Good Luck!
I agree with the previous post.
I wouldn't be able to wait until the 16th week.  I would ask straight out to have a u/s done at your next appt.  You do want to see the heartbeat and make sure all's well.  good luck
It's very common not to be given an ultrasound prior to about 18 weeks, unless the doctor has reason to believe you are a higher risk pregnancy, or have complications. This is a good sign!!!!
Unfortunately you just have to wait it out, but hang in there. If you don't have any signs that something is wrong, then most likely you don't have anything to worry about. Plus, stress isn't good for you or your baby, so put your feet up, pamper yourself and take it easy :)
I'm assuming you're seeing your GP - most often an obgyn will have a transvaginal US. But your GP might have the handheld doppler, which he/she can use to hear the heartbeat anytime after 10 weeks. That might give you some peace of mind - once you hear a heartbeat, the chance of miscarry apparently drops dramatically.
Hang in there - the U/S will be here soon enough, and then you'll just be wishing you didn't have to hold all that water!!!! Good luck :)
I had one done at 13 weeks. My dr. just wanted to check and make sure everything was ok. I would ask. Whats the worse they can tell you, no? Give it a shot. Goodluck!
The only way many ppl I've know around here (small town  in NH, it is probably entirely different in other places) were able to get an u/s done before 18-20 weeks, was if there was a complication in the current or previous pregnancy, or there had been a miscarriage prior to the pregnancy. I did not get an u/s offered until my 19  week...and I will not get another barring no compilcations from now til labor. If you have reason to believe something is not right w/ your baby later on, (lack of fetal movement,  unexplained bleeding, leaking of fluid. etc), they may run an u/s on you to make sure evrything is ok...otherwise, many ppl got through their pregnancies w/ just one u/s around the half way point....Perhaps there was a reason mentioned above that your friends were able to have one so early on in their pregnancies. Good luck to you and congrats!