I don't want this to turn into a debate on whether or not to vaccinate, I just want your opinions on spacing them out? I will have a 2month appt w/DS the second week of July and the sheet says he's due for like 4 or 5 shots at once..... Do you think I will get any flack from the Pediatrician? THanks!!
You might, but just stand your ground. Politely but firmly say, "I have decided I would like to space them out. I feel better about that." And in my opinion, if a doctor treated you like you were dumb for that, I'd be getting a new Doctor.
It's YOUR choice and right to do what feels best for you. Like for instance, personally, my choice is to wait until they are a little older; instead of 2,4,6 months, I do 3,5, and 7 months. My doctor was fine with that. But if he wasn't, I would go elsewhere.
I have already discussed spacing them with my Pediatrician with this next baby. My two kiddos that are 3 and 5 had all shots as scheduled but I've already told her I will be spacing this one. She was TOTALLY fine with it and said that I could pick if i wanted to do one shot, then wait a month, then do another one, wait a month, etc. or if I wanted to wait 2-3 months inbetween them. They just need to be caught up by kindergarten. I say space them and stand your ground. You aren't saying you aren't going to give your child the shots, you just don't want them all at once. I think that's perfectly logical given the research that's come out.
I did not space out at first but I did lots of research before I realized that the vaccines are what is best. After dd had to get 4 shots at once I decided that the rest would be three or less. Pref 2 at a time. Her last set of shots were just three shots then a needle to draw blood (12 months). I held off on the blood getting drawn and just got the three shots. Doctor not too happy but ok with it. I went back a week later to get the blood done. WELL - my fiance came down with the shingles last week. She was JUST vaccinnated three weeks ago for chicken pox. THANK GOD! She is ok. If I would have held off on that one I would be in trouble right now.
Do your research for what is best for you and you child I found vaccinations to be best. MMR scares me to death but I did it and I am glad I did.
some of them are combined. For intance I think Jake got immunized for like 5 things but it was actually only 2 shots and an oral.
Jacob had an ear infection and some long going congestion when he got his shots. Afterwards I really regretted not putting the shots off until he was well. Next time, I will wait unitl he isn't already fighting an infection. Just something to consider.
I work in a immunology department and I work with someone who helped to develop the HPV vaccine (he worked at a previous company doing that). So I have picked his brain alot. He is of course for vaccines and keeping there schedule. However he helped ease my mind that many clinical trails are performed using vaccines in different combinations (ie. all together with other vaccines, or separately) and the FDA will only approve it when they see it is effective and safe. So it has helped a little but DH is against them because he has never gotten any.
So here is what I did:
I held off until 6 months and I separated out 3 vaccines at that point and I will go in at 7 mo to get the other 3.
So I will have mine set as 6, 8, 10 for Hib, PCV and Rota (Rota can only be given upto 8 mo so he will miss the last one) and 7, 9, 11 for DTAP, Hep B & IPV Vaccine (it is a combo vaccine so one shot).
I would just really try to get them in for boosters when they are scheduled, give or take a few weeks if they are sick. That is how the vaccine gets it effectiveness!
My Dr is very open with what I want to do as a parent. When selecting a Dr, I interviewed her and her viewpoints on alternative schedules and what common practices she has. Ds risk level is low since I dont have him in daycare, so that is another concern if you are doing daycare then you are almost forced to giving it to them at 2 mo. I think you should read as much as you can and find a schedule you are happy and comfortable with.
Wow, love all the answers thanks. No ds is not in daycare. I did do DD all the shots on time. I feel like though I may get a little flack. My sister goes to the same pediatrician group and her dr. argued a bit about her 15month shots because her daughter was sick and she didn't want to get them right then. Okay, I'll stand my ground and try to do a bit of research in the next 2 weeks. Like I say, I'll get them, they just may be spaced. Why should they care if I make 100 copays right??
I am having this same dilema. This is what I have done so far. When I took him in for his shots for the 2 month mark, they handed me a paper with all the shots listed on it that he would need. I asked her to go through the list and checkmark each shot that was not required for school, that took off at least a third of the shots. So that day, he only got one shot (it had a couple of things in it). I just read.....today, as a matter of fact, some articles that talk about the autism rate and it's link to vaccinations. After Rhett's 2 month shots, I sat asking myself, why did I just immunize this child against Hep. B when the only way to contract it is sexually or from a blood transfusion in another country??? I waited until after the shot to ask how you got hep b! duh. Anyway, one of the interviews I read from a Dr. who was talking on the link of Autism with vaccines said to delay them as long as you can, (he said some experts say 6 months, some say a year) and don't give them to a child who has a cold or any sign of sickness or immune problem. Also, make sure your dr. is using the newer vaccines that don't have mercury (thimerosal) in them. (This interview was on CNN)
The number of vaccines that a child is supposed to get now has risen so much, up to like 22 vaccines before the age of 2. I plan to do a lot of reading and research before we do anymore shots. I never did finish all of my daughters shots because of all the controversy. Now that we have little Rhett, I really want to do what is best for him and I don't want to be paranoid but there is a lot of information out there and I want to be well informed about what I am subjecting my baby to.
i talked to my cousin recently about this... after she had her little boy i recomended our peds office to her. she absolutely loves the practice and her ped, but... she recently asked about spacing out her ds's shots and her ped told her that their practice wouldn't do it. so even though she absolutely loved the ped and the practice she went to look for another ped. she found one and said she was not impressed and was going to go to one more appt w/ them and if she still didn't like it there, then she would start looking again! i didn't know that they wouldn't do that b/c i had never inquired about it... but i guess some peds won't do it.
DD is 10 1/2 months and She has not had any vaccines yet. I will get them done I just want to wait a little longer maybe start them at her 12 month visit. Any time she goes for a check up her ped. ask if she will be getting her shots and I say no not today. She has not given me any flack for waiting which I appreciate because she is my child and I am doing what I feel is best not what someone tells me I need to do. I would space them out, 5 shots is alot for a 2 month old, well for anyone for that matter. You need to do what is best for you and what you are comfortable with.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.