Maternal & Child Community
Should I worry that my daughter is going to become obese.(long)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

My daughter was only 6lbs, 15oz when she was born, 19.5" long.  But she's growing at a tremendous rate. She just turned 6 months and already weights 20lbs & 27".  She weights as much as my best friends 1year old!

Anyhow, I've always struggled with weight issues mostly because I was a severly asthmatic child.  The lack of being active combined with steroids (for asthma) caused me to balloon up to 230lbs, by the time I was in the 8th grade. I dont want my daughter going through life struggling like I did. I also decided that I would teach her what foods are good for her, instead of making her stress about her weight.  She doesnt need to have a mother who is constantly on her about what she eats. Thats not what I want. I just want her educated about nutrition (when she's old enough of course).

I try to be very conscious of what I give her and how much. She drinks 4 bottles a day -6oz each, which is fine.  I tried to limit the solids but am now being told that I dont feed her enough solid food. I receive WIC and they monitor the baby's intake. Because she is so above average in size, if I start giving her solids like they suggest, she will be 30lbs by the time she's 1 years old!    

I mean, dont get me wrong, I feed her, she is in no way lacking in food (obviously, she's 20lbs!) And I would never deny her food.  I just dont want her to reach an unhealthy size where she is considered overweight. As of now, she's not because she's also growing length wise.  I dont know, am i thinking about this way to much?
They want a bottle for breakfast some cereal and baby food, juice mid morning, bottle for lunch, bottle mid afternoon, then another bottle at dinner time and more cereal and more food.  I do give her solids now, half a jar mid-morning and half around dinner.  I thought that was ok.  I dont know, what do you guys think.  This is all really new to me.
If you wanted to skip the juice, you'd get no arguments from me, because it's really just added calories.  But I would replace it with formula or breast milk.  I'd also give more than a half jar of vegetables or whatever, don't hold out if your daughter is still eating.  She will stop when she is full.  Babies are good that way.
Juice is a bad thing in my mind. As Annie said, ti is empty calories and bad for their teeth. Give her fruits and veggies instead. I never did solids much and my 1 year old is 30 lbs : ) All breast milk.
My son was a chunky 24lb 6 month old, but we never worried about his weight and neither did his pediatrician.  He's currently a very average healthy 3yr old at 34lbs.  Once they get mobile everything seems to change with their weight and eating habits.

I would say that if you're going to give her juice, make sure it doesn't contain high fructose corn syrup.  They're finding this to be one of the causes of obesity in this country.  They're empty calories without giving you a full feeling.  I still mix my 3yo's juice with 1/2 water.  

Good luck and try to enjoy those chubby cheeks since they probably won't be around much longer!
Melanie

Hi Erin!  I think she is fine.  Babies come in all shapes and sizes.  I know that her formula is what is most important for the first year.  I even read that if that is all they have for the first year that is fine. Formula/breastmilk.  I have introduced stage one to Eva but after her episode last week I stopped everything until she goes to the neurologist on December 3rd.  I am back to just formula.  

Her doctor said I could give her a little bit of water if she is drinking her bottles ok but I don't I am just too scared.

Eva is now 16lbs 1" and 27"long.  Not too far behind your baby.  PS.  I have a cousin who was a HUGE baby.  I mean rolls on top of rolls and she was a skinny toddler and skinny teen.

Is 24 oz of fomula enough for her?  I think she should have at least 32 but I am not positive - check with your doctor.
my son was born at 6lbs 15 oz...3 weeks later he was a whopin 9lbs...now at 9 weeks he is 11 1/2 lbs..he is all muscles..very active lil fella...at this rati think he too will be 20 lbs...he is drinking 4 oz every 4-5 hours...at nite 8=9 drinks 5 oz n is good for about 7-8 hours...so i dunno but as they begin to crawl n walk they will lose weight
I wouldn't worry at all. Once she starts to crawl and walk, her weight gain will slow down drastically. As for the juice, I would definitely replace it with formula or breastmilk. Babies and even kids don't need any juice whatsoever in their diets.
My son is 17pounds and only five months old but he is also 27" already.  He is almost of the charts for his heigth and about 75 on his weight, he is a little over arverage.  I think you are fine.  Ryan eats about five to six times a day 6oz.  He still eats at night but not as much he is a cry baby i think he like the bottle at night
Thanks to this fourm, I have shyed away from juice. I gave it to her once, the earth best kind. But I also diluted it.  I agree that it is a lot of sugar and that the she's better off just eating some solid fruits. What's scary is that, she really liked it.
I mean, I know she is going to be a bigger girl. Her dads 6'3 250lbs, and as I mentioned have always been a little on the heavy side, even now.  It's also a big part of my culture to feed, feed, feed. If you've ever tryed to turn down a meal from a latin mom..lol, they get offended. I'll just have to be careful and teach her right.  
you look great - esp after having a baby - you are crazy to think you are on the heavier side :)

did she get her shots?  Eva's were pushed back two weeks she was supposed to go tomorrow but they are going to wait until after her neurology appt.  They still wanted to do them but I read that the dtap shot should be given with caution when child has had a seizure and well that was all I had to read and that is one she is due for.  Doctor said two weeks is fine if that gives me piece of mind.  I am giving her them just not until I hear from someone at CHOP that she is ok.  :)
I looked up her height and weight on the girl's growth chart and it looks to me like she's 90th for height and weight.  She sounds proportional - and I agree with the others,  once she starts moving around she'll probably thin out.
Where do you go to look at the charts?
There are a bunch of places for the charts, but they all get theirs from:

www.cdc.gov

My middle boy was a chunky monkey baby like his brothers, but is now quite thin. He is destined to be 6'4" according to the doc's height predictor and he is already tall and thin.
I agree with others.  When they're mobile, they stop gaining weight that quickly.  She IS a big for her age but that means NOTHING.  Some big babies turn out to be very slim adults.  
Everyone keeps telling me that Nadezdha is little.  I think perhaps she's just a little petite like her father.  She was 6lbs 5oz when born, and is now 11lbs 5oz at 12 weeks and only has grown 3 inches or so.  Just keep them active as they get older, teach her the proper things to eat like you want to (my girls thought crackers were cookies for about a year till my mom spoiled that).