Maternal & Child Community
Should be 11 wks,fetal pole measures 6 weeks, no heartbeat, no blood fl...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Should be 11 wks,fetal pole measures 6 weeks, no heartbeat, no blood flow,no spotting at all

My husband and I stopped using a condom in Jan, and since then my period has been off.. in Feb it was off by a week. My first positive preg. test was in March. I went for my first doctors visit where they did the pap smear.. they said everything was normal. I've been feeling VERY nauseaed, any my breasts are sore, and I've thrown up on two different occassions. I went in for my assumed 10 week appt, and there was no heartbeat detected on the doppler, so they did an abdominal ultrasound... the doctor said she saw an "empty uterus", and suggested a DNC same day, or the next day she was on call. I was in SHOCK because I still had the symptoms of being pregnant, and I just went in for a regular visit. I requested another ultrasound at a different location the same day. The tech found a 6 week, 2 day old "fetal pole". She stated that she didn't see a heartbeat or blood flow. I'm going to a different group for a second opinion, but I was wondering if you had any thoughts. I've had no spotting throughout this process, no bad cramping, or anything along those lines. Any help is appreciated.
I'm waking up every night to go to the bathroom also.
I'm so sorry this is happening to you.  I had this happen last year.  I had a positive test July 7.  The first week in Aug I had an u/s.  Found just a yolk.  The week after they found a fetal pole measuring small but no h/b.  I was in shock because I hadn't had any symptoms that anything was wrong.  He said I would m/c.  I didn't believe him but unfortunately it happened less than a week later.  I am so sorry if this is the case for you.  People say somtimes it takes a couple times to get it right.  That was the case for me.  I had another m/c in Nov then got preg right away.  I'm 26 weeks now.  Keep your head up...xxxxxx
I guess my question is that if the fetus is measuring at 6 weeks and 2 days, and they said I'm "supposed" to be about 10-11 weeks... if I was going to miscarry... wouldn't it have happened by now?
No, sometimes it takes up to 2 months to get going.  I was 9 weeks pg, and the fetus died at 6....only days after seeing the heart beat.  It is commonly referred to as a 'missed miscarriage'.  You could have no spotting, and a closed cervix, and it just means the body hasn't completely figured it out yet.  That could be why you still may feel symptoms.  My breasts were sore for several weeks after the baby died.

I'm really sorry you have to experience this.  Especially the 'shock' that you experienced at your dr. visit.  There is no easy way to deal with it.  The women here are very supportive if you want to keep asking questions.

Take care of you  (((((hugs))))))
It does sound like a missed mc.  There should definitely be a hb by now.  pregnancy symptoms continue until after you have passed all the tissue and your hormone levels have returned to zero.

I am so sorry for your loss.
I'm so sorry for you.  I had this happen to me last summer.  Only I did start to sopt some and didn't feel right, lots of pressure, so I went in.  First they checked me and all looked good, so they did an u/s to reassure me since my cervix was tight and I was so sick.  There was an empty sack.  I was told it can take weeks to have a m/c and even with my spotting it never progressed enough.  I took pills to help speed up the process that weekend and was glad to have it happen at home, did not want to go through at work.  I would go to the next appt. and see waht they say, but it does sound like you will m/c.  I was still very sick with m/s, I think it was even worse with that pregnancy than the others.  It took a few days after the m/c before I lost the pregnancy symptoms.  I'm sorry for you, take your time to grieve and try again when you feel better.  I got pregnant rthe next month after my first af and have a beautiful little boy now.  Take care.
Thanks guys. I think I'm fine superficially.. but deep down.. I'm still in denial. I'm going to the doctor this afternoon.. so I guess we'll see what happens. Please keep me in your prayers, and hope that my husband and I have the strength to deal with whatever may come.
So I found this other OB/Gyn that I LOVE and they did a HCG on me and they said the level is 16,000 and that it could be a normal pregnancy for 6-7 weeks or 8-10. They're going to repeat my ultrasound wednesday. Wish me luck. :)
From reading your post it sounds like my situation is almost identical to yours. How did your u/s go yesterday? I have my 2nd u/s tomorrow.