Aa
A
A
Close
Avatar universal
Should we get the genetic testing or not?
DH is adamant that I get the genetic testing done on our baby. I do not want to get it done. I wonder what the point is. I did not get the testing done with my DS and he's healthy (besides food allergies and asthma). This is my DH's 1st child and I don't want to fight with him over this but I'm just as adamant that we not do the testing. So many people get false abnormal results and I refuse to get an amniocentesis (sp?) done if my results are abnormal. Our doctor said 1 in 200 woman miscarry after getting an amnio done. I will not chance the life of our baby. My co-worker told me that her mom (who is a nurse) said that 9 out of 10 are false abnormal results. It seems pointless to get the first test because if it comes back abnormal I won't go through with the next step. Then I would be stressed thinking there's something wrong with our baby.

What do you think? Should I do the first test to make peace with my DH or should I stick to my guns and refuse to get the test?
Cancel
13 Answers
Page 1 of 1
174483 tn?1327629077
is there some genetic problems in his side of the family? or is he just wanting you to test? i refused the first step with my pregnancy bc i too wouldnt do the amnio, if your not going to do it, dont take the test, it is pointless like you said, it will jut cause you grief your entire pregnancy, i didnt take it bc there was no way i was going to abort the baby if it had problems(my family has a history of genetic problems and i still refused)
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Avatar universal
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Avatar universal
No, neither family has any genetic problems that we're aware of. It's one of the reasons why I'm being so stubborn about not getting the testing done. I just think it's pointless to get the blood test when I won't do any follow up testing due to the risks associated with them. Thanks for your response!
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Avatar universal
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Avatar universal
MY DH and I decided against getting testing.  We decided that we didnt want to do any tests that carried a risk of misscarriage OR any that could not give us 100% test results.  Plus we talked it over and decided that IF we were to do the tests, and something would come back possibly wrong with our baby, we wouldnt stop the pregnancy anyways... Therefore we decided against all tests.

You two just need to have a discussion when both of you have time to really discuss everything and make a decision you are BOTH happy with.  Only you two can decide together what to do...
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Avatar universal
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Avatar universal
Hey girl!  Glad to hear you are still doing well!  I decided to do the testing.  My Dr. tried to talk me out of it for the same reasons you don't want to have it done.  She said there were alot of false positives, but I wanted to know if something was wrong so I could be prepared for it.  We knew we were going to have it eather way, but I just wanted to know.  But I made up my mind that if it did come back + I was not having a amno.  Dr. said sometimes a u/s can tell and I would do that but that is all.  Maybe just do the blood test to ease his mind, and tell him ahead of time you are not doing the amno if the result is + and see if he will be able to handle that.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Avatar universal
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
152852 tn?1205717026
This is a very personal decision so no one can tell you what to do.

I happen to have had an amnio.  I'm 42 and my perinatal specialist told me that all "tests" that are routinely done are actually "screenings"--they are not conclusive.  You can be falsely reassured or worry sick over nothing.  Only an amnio or CVS is conclusive.

Also, the national statistics about amnios that you find online can be very misleading (someone posted a link here several months ago about how the 1:200 loss rate is outdated and the loss rate is much lower now).  My OB/GYN told me to ask the actual doctor who will be doing my amnio what his personal statistics are.  My high risk doctor happens to do amnios every day and has been doing them for 28 years.  He has done over 7000 and his loss rate is EXTREMELY low, so I was reassured.

Good luck with your decision.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Avatar universal
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
13167 tn?1327197724
tinad - have you had a untrasound that your husband can watch?  Often,  that's pretty conclusive- if the baby is active and kicking,  and looks great to the doc and tech,  chances are very good that the baby is fine.

Comment
Cancel
Comment
Avatar universal
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
158812 tn?1189759426
PERSONALLY, I have always refused this, and always will.  I am almost 35, and could qualify for an amnio...
NOWAY...I would NEVER abort, so I feel no reason to subject myself to this potentially fatal and innacurate nightmare.  It is not my job to play GOD.  Again, this is my PERSONAL OPINION ON THE TOPIC.  I would tell my husband 'sorry', but not a chance.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Avatar universal
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
164559 tn?1233711618
This is entirely a personal choice.  I had all the tests when I had my ds, at age 36.  The tests were great and I did not have an amnio, he was absolutely perfect.

I am now 40, have had the first blood test, nt us and will have additional bloodwork in a few weeks.  If the specialists are concerned, I MAY consider amnio.

You need to do what feels right for you and your husband.  
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Avatar universal
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
171768 tn?1324233699
i am 27, and i decided NOT to have the testing done for the same reasons you listed. i am only getting testing done for things that we can do something about. for example, i will have the blood test that looks for indications of spina bifida, since it is possible to do surgery while the child is still in utero that can help its quality of life.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Avatar universal
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Avatar universal
When I was prego with my now 5 weeks old they had me getting tested for everything since I found out I was diabetic pre-prego but the one thing I never did was the genetic testing. It wasnt going to change the outcome of the pregnancy and me and my husband agreed on that. I know they give alot of false positives and then three different tests later once you are a stressed out mess you find out the baby is FINE!! I would only get it done if there is a reason to worry on either side but if you know it wont change the outcome then I wouldnt worry. I will say this much,too. I turned down the amnio at 8 weeks then I said if we change our minds I would then get the multiple marker well there was a miscommunication and when I was getting normal blood work done they did it anyways which I found out at the following Dr. appt when she said the test was normal...thank god since I NEVER wanted it done!!! But if you are more worried about getting an amnio for the fear of the amnio keep this in mind...I thought I was NEVER going to have to worry about going through the amni especially at week 36 but they wanted to induce me at 37 weeks due to his size and they HAD to make sure his lungs were fully matured and I had NO CHOICE but to get the amnio done since it was the ONLY way to test the lungs...all was fine. I was a wreck over thinking of the test and the what ifs but I swear atleast in that week it was nothing. I freaked myself out over it more than the test. I didnt look at the needle either but it was a quick pinch (less than getting noraml blood work done), then about a quick TINY muscle spazm as they put the needle in, and then alittle pressure and it was over in the same amount of time it took you to read this! So, if later on they want to do one that is what you can expect. I will also be here if you want to email, talk or have any other questions. But as you can see I am never at a loss for words either just so you know. Here is my email if you want to talk later. jaimee
***@****  
good luck with everything!!!
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Avatar universal
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
184527 tn?1240977004
Our son was born with a genitic condition called SMA. He passed away at 11 weeks. Watching him struggle with every breath was more than any parent could bare. We had cvs with our second child and found out he was affected also. We chose to end the pregnancy at 13 weeks. It was a diffacult decision. The disease our children had was fatal by age 1, I am currently pregnant at 6 weks and pray everyday that this baby will be spared the terrible form of Muscular Dystrophy my other 2 had. They don't routinly check for it but it is the leading cause of infintile death in the world. 1 in 30 people are carriers for it. That's just our sad story..
Good Luck
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Avatar universal
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
164559 tn?1233711618
I am so sorry for your losses.  I pray that this child is healthy.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Avatar universal
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
162331 tn?1390022267
I totally understand where you are at in having to make a decision.  The only thing is, my hubbie and I were in agreement to refuse the testing.  After M/C in Sept. I did not want to take a chance.  I am 41 and 14 1/2 weeks pregnant. Even with my age, I did not want to chance it.  I asked myself, "if they found something wrong, would I terminate?"  The answer is NO.  So my Doctor agreed with me that I should not risk it then.  She said they will be able to see a lot as far as development with the baby on my ultrasound.  I hope and pray all goes well with you.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Avatar universal
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Avatar universal
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Maternal & Child Community Resources