Maternal & Child Community
Sick 5 month old

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Sick 5 month old

My baby girl has an awful cold.  I am taking her to the doc today around 2 but I was wondering what I can do for her until then.  She has such labored breathing I can hear the congestion in another room!  She can't sleep because she wakes up coughing or sneezing and a couple of times she has gotten choked up on the mucus draining into her throat!  I am trying to use the "snot sucker" thingy as much as possible but it doesnt seem to be helping much at all.  I took a hot shower and let her breathe the steam, I am keeping her upright in her swing.  She is in surprisingly good spirits and being very sweet even though she can barely breathe through her nose.  
Last time she was sick the doc told me to give her benadryl (it was in December) and gave me an exact dosage.  Last night I gave her half of that dosage (I get paranoid) and a girlfriend told me not to give her anything else because baby drugs are being recalled and babies are dying.  Of course she told me this after I gave it to her.  
She chokes on her formula mixing with the mucus.  Mom said try to give her applesauce and water until I get to the doc.  Does anyone have any other advice?  
Your mom is right the formula will make it worse. Just give her water and applesauce until the doc gives her some meds to break that stuff up in her chest. I used baby vaporub on my daughter when she took naps and went to bed and that seemed to help her sleep better, also I kept her propped up a little while she slept too. I hope she feels better soon. I don't know if I helped any but good luck.
Benadryl is not good for babies - they were all recalled.  The only over the counter meds you can give a child under 2 is Tylonel.  They do have infant Motrin you can give if the doctor said it is ok - nornally they only say give motrin in rotation with Tylonel when there is a fever and it will not break.  Please do not give Benadryl - that may cause you baby to fall into a deep sleep which is not good with a chest cold.

My dd keeps getting colds too.  It is horrible.  The worst part is there is nothing you can do.  her cough was so bad that I rushed her to the ER I thought for a minute she was not going to get her breath it was awful.  They told me to use a vaporizer and to get those Ocean drops or saline drops to help suck out the boogers.  The congestion was all in her chest and took 5 weeks to get out.  They never let me give her anything but Tylonel and Motrin and the motrin stopped when the fevers did.

Formula does make it worse.  Espeically when heated.  Doctor told me at the time to get as much fluids down as possible it will help with the mucus.  Pedialite is best.  My dd went for 3 days just on pedialite.

It is horrible to go through - sorry to say it lasts pretty long too.  My dd started with the stuffy nose again yesterday so I have a feeling I am about to go through this again.

Elevate her bed, giver her tylonel for aggitation, giver her pedialite, keep sucking out her nose and put on a vaporizer.  That is all the doc will tell you to do too unless (hopefully not) she has an infection in her ears - then you will get an antibiotic.
Thanks for the advice ladies.  I just feel awful and I totally know what you mean when you say you rushed your girl to the ER for fear she wouldn't get her breath, I almost did the same thing this morning.  It does sound like it's in her chest and I am nervous for her.  She's my first and I worry a lot.  I had to take her to daycare last week (long story short it was supposed to be for the semester but I didn't end up needing that class so she doesn't have ot go now) and I'm almost positive that's where she got sick because I remember hearing a little girl coughing.  

I wonder which solids I can feed her along with the pedialyte?  She did great with the applesauce today.  Anyone have any other ideas?
I have been told Benadryl too at times, but the infant cold and flu items were recalled.  Benadryl I don't think was one of them but can't remember.  Anyway, they recalled the meds cuz parents were dosing incorrectly and they were overdosing.  The peds offices want you to call and get a reccommendation and dosing from them, if it's bad enough to need meds in a kiddo under 2, they want to see them.  Your little one has grown since December anyway, I would either call the nurse and ask if you really want to give her some, or just wiat and see what they say when you go in.  I would personally wait and just keep the fluids (not formula)  and elevate her.  I hope she feels better soon.
If you dd can eat solids I would give her whatever she takes.  If it is the same buy like my dd had it will last a long time and there will be days where she just wont want to eat.  Applesauce is great because it is not "milky".  The fluids help the flem (phlegm) get out of her body.  She will pass the flem (phlegm) because she cant spit like we can.  They cough it up and swallow it.  My daughter had the UNGODLY cough it sounded like a train was coming out of her throat.  Doctor never gave her anything for it.  It felt like it would last forever.  

Keep the fluids going down the her head elevated that will help.  As for the daycare.  My dd is not in daycare.  I have no clue where she picked it up at.  They say most babies get sick a lot the first year it helps with their immunity.

Good Luck it is going to be a hard week for you
Well we are back from the doc.  Luckily there is no ear infection yet... she wants me to keep an eye on her temp.  She did say to give her benadryl.  She said benadryl is not a part of the recal and that the recall is because of a specific ingredient that is not present in children's benadryl.  She took Leah's weight and measured out an exact dosage.  I also got the saline nose cleaner kit for babies, some baby vicks, and pedialyte.  Tonight I think I'm going to pick up a warm mist humidifier... That's safe for babies, right?  
cool mist is better than warm mist since warm mist is more likely to breed molds and can cause burns if baby gets too close.
i am a little surprised they said to give benadryl. my ped does not allow it at all, but i guess they all have a different perspective on what's safe. and no wonder- the rules are always changing! while i realize that benadryl does not contain the decongestants that cause concern, i would err on the side of caution personally. DH is a phamacist and he also would not give dd benadryl the last time she was sick. and she was so congested she was making herself throw up coughing, waking herself trying to breathe, etc.
http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/01/16/cold.medicines.ap/index.html

she hated the saline, but it did help.
I am surpised by the benydril too but as long as she is being monitored I guess it is ok?  I got a vaporizor from CVS that is working ok.  I was told not to use the Vicks with it that can be inserted - not sure why.  Doctors scare the heck out of me.  Glad there is no infection.

Good luck - hope she feels better soon.
i have also heard and read that vicks is not good for young infants.
poor babies. not much we can do for them :(
Yeah my doc said not to use the regular vicks on her. I got the baby vaporub, she said that was fine because it's all natural ingredients or something.