Maternal & Child Community
Sickle Cell Abnormal Test

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Sickle Cell Abnormal Test

Dominic had his 6 month shots today. everything went well. but the doctor mentioned something about G6PD or something like that and said it says in the computer he has that! but noone ever told us. she said if he had this blood disorder, the state would have notified us as well as the doctors. but yet no one said anything till after he was 6 months old. well she said she would look into it and call me back. i left called my mom and came back to get the medical records. the same doctor talks to me to answer anymore questions i have...she tells me sorry. ther was a mix up. the doctor put it in worng and he doesnt have this G6PD...but the tests that were run at birth came up abormal for sickle cell! NO ONE SAID ANYTHING! hes been totally healthy and is growing great and the doctor said that he looks healthy and is doubtful that he had sickle cell and if anything he would be a carrier. i know i dont have sickle cell and i asked his father awhile ago if there was anything wrong with him or his family for further refrrence. he said no! so now i have to go and get two blood tests done to see if he has it or is a carrier for it. and im freaked out
hey kim, i am not totally sure, but i think just having the trait doesn't mean you have it and most ppl with the trait are fine. i know if both parents have the trait it makes the child more at risk for having the illness.  but is not a guarantee that the child will have the illness. sorry i was not much help. i wish the best for you and your family  ~d
best of luck to you.  better check it out and be sure.  don't worry just yet.
(could be my hormones ;)  )

but i'd be p!$$ed.....and freaking out also.....i thought the point in all that directly following PD testing was to find out IMMEDIATELY if there was an issue???!!!

well, i truely hope all is well, and maybe it's something that won't turn into a major concern....i feel so bad for Dom-inic?.....at least he is growing well, and i think that'd make the biggest difference to me.....but good luck, and let us know how the tests go
they dont know if he has it or has the triat or has neither. she said that its very likely for babies to have a clot when they take it from their foot because its such a small sample. she said it could be nothing at all. she said its no unheard of to have an abornomal on any of thoses tests and have nothing wrong at all. Dominics been perfectly healthy and has had 1 runny noise. no getting the flu or anything else. ive had colds plenty of times and hes been fine. the doctor said that people with sickle cell dont grow very well and get sick and she said hes growing great and hasnt been sick. she said if he had it he should have been showing signs....but im still worried. i pray my son doesnt have it and is a carrier for it.

yes they are supposed to follow up with another test with actual blood rather than 2 drops. it says it right on the bottem of the page that i made her copy from the state.

i have to take him to get blood work today (even though we are going to get hit from hannah or part of her...whatever)

i just dont understand how his test on anythin could come back abnormal and the state not notify us which the doctor said they were supposed to, during all of the sick (his cord and other things) and well visits none of the 5 doctors hes seen said anything, and how the doctor put in the computer that he had someother blood condition (when they dont even know if he has it) i dont know how people can scew up so badly like that!
Kim I am really sorry you are dealing with this stress. I am sure Dominic is fine, but if not, you are a strong girl and you will help Dominic through anything!!!!
Sorry to hear you have to go through this! Hope all turns out to be one huge misunderstanding and none of the three of you have any traits nor illnesses.

Did you know something: there is Sickle Cell Anemia and there is G6PD, an enzyme deficiency. Both are inherited and both affect the red blood cells, but it is not exactly the same. So I would be very clear before all of your tests are done what they are testing for.
It seems a bit confusing that one doctor talks about G6PD deficiency and the other about Sickle Cell Anemia.
Let`s google... Apparently G6PD shows up as a sensitivity to some medications and chemicals, so it would only surface after contact with such. Sickle cell anemia, if it is the sickness and not just the trait, would show up in infancy by about 4 months through growth retardation and other anemic appearances. Not and expert but your little guy looks way too healthy for that...:) Hope you can put your mind at ease soon.