Maternal & Child Community
Side effects from HSG?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Side effects from HSG?

Hi all. I'm going for an HSG this afternoon, and was wondering if other people have had it done, and what they experienced afterwards. They told me to take advil beforehand due to possible cramping during the procedure, but no one said anything about what it could feel like afterwards. Any insight would be appreciated--thanks! Wendy.
I had one done about 4 years ago and I remember having period cramps afterwards for a day or 2 and it hurt pretty bad during the procedure. I remember crying when they put the dye in. It felt like really really really bad menstrual cramps. They forgot to tell me that it needed to be done right after my period, just in case I happened to be pregnant so the first time I went in they sent me home & I had to make another appt. after my period. I have heard though that some people get pg. right away because it totally clears your tubes. Good luck!!! Take some good drugs before you go!!! I didn't take any and I wish I would have!!
What is an HSG?  What is it for?
I had one done a few months back.  It really wasn't all that bad.  The procedure itself felt like a little pinch and then some pressure.  I did have terrible cramps afterwards but they eased up with some motrin.
They say that afterwards there is a really good chance of getting a bfp, so goodluck!  I hope that all goes well with you today!
During the procedure... very,very bad cramps.  I wasn't ready for that!  Ouch... Then afterwards, more cramps and just uncomforable.  And some brownish spotting for about 2 days.  
Good luck!  
My friend had it done and it was even worse for her cuz she has a blocked tube!  Apparently that is normal for increased pain due to the fact the is pressure from the dye and no place for it to go-when a blocked tube is involved.
Thanks everyone, for the advice. (and for the person who wrote with the question, an HSG is when the doctor or radiologist inserts iodine dye into your uturus to see if it comes out the ends of your fallopain tubes to make sure everything is clear--they take x-rays during it). I just got back from the procedure. I think the 3 advil and the corner of a xanax that I took beforehand helped, b/c there was very little cramping, just mild discomfort. The part I didn't expect (or hear about) was the outpouring of bright red blood when I stood up (and some lovely clots, too) Sorry if that's TMI, but thought it should be fair warning for those who still have this to look forward to. The thin pad I had brought with me was woefully inadequate! The doc said to watch and if it gets worse to call them, but otherwise some bleeding is normal. They also told me to expect mild cramping and to watch for any increase in temperature. All in all, not fun, but not the worst thing either. And it IS nice to know that all is clear up there. Now if only I could figure out why I keep getting these early miscarriages since as of now, i think i've taken every test under the sun!
Thank you so much for asking this question.  I am going for an HSG tomorrow and really didn't know what to expect.  Hope it's not too bad.
Hi all. i have also done a HSG is very uncomfortable. i was also adviced to take painkillers before the xray takes place. i felt very embarrrased knowing that a man who was to insert the dye in me. u have to undress and open ur legs wide. it wasnt easy to go thru all this. got cramps for a minute but it goes away, infact mine was worse as they could not see the spill at the end of the ovary, which he ahd to put the dye 3 times, so u can imagine the pain i went thru.bleeding for like 4 days. But now my Question is, today is 15 days to the HSG. im feeling very weird, really bad back pain, headach, feel like throwing up, but cant. uneasy. whole body ach..cant sllep well.. please advice if u are goin thru the same. is it possible the the conception is taking place or is it that ita a general sickness like a cols or something, im really worried as it had never happend like this.. i just wish im pregnant. please anyone to advice please post me..il really appriciate.

Neha
hi there!,
never ever posted an entry before, but felt compelled to do so since i'm on this journey. i'm 39 and have had one miscarriage and been trying to conceive for the last 8 months. my doctor finally had me get the 3rd day cycle blood tests and then the hsg. i had it done this past tues. and it really hurt. it started with a slight discomfort, then slowly became more intense, in fact i started to breathe like i was having contractions. i have endometriosis , so i'm not shy to intense menstrual pain, but this was serious cramping and pressure. i took painkillers before, so i can only imagine what i would have felt like had i not prepared myself. well now, 2 days later i still have cramping and a little spotting but i feel ok in gen'l.  i'm hoping to conceive in the next few months as I am running out of time. by the way, i had no blockage, however, my uterus has an abnormal shape which is the culprit for early miscarriages. good luck to you...
i am going in for my HSG today at 2:00 and i am so scared any advice?
I had this done a couple months ago. I was super scared and nervous not knowing what to expect. I took 2 advil on my way there and kept myself calm and just tried to breath. The nurse was really sweet and was talking to me through the whole thing. It helped me to look at the tv screen and see what they were doing. They weren't successful and had to do it 3 times, I stayed calm and felt absolutely nothing. No pain, no cramping and barely bled afterwards. Just take deep breaths and relax, remember that you are doing this for a good reason. You will be fine.
I would go get a pregnancy test. These sound like symptoms and 15 days would be about right... Good luck to you!
hi I am 25 yrs old, I had HSG about three days ago and it was very uncomfortable. NOW I am having the worst CRAMPS in history!  is this normal?
Hi everyone - I just had an HSG about a month ago. Didn't know what to expect. The stirrups sure aren't like the gyn's, that's for sure! (the radiologist jokes that theirs were more comfortable)
they used a little balloon to open the cervix. Uncomfortable! Then the dye just felt like a lot of pressure... unusual achiness. But I figure having a baby will be a whole lot more painful!! :-)
I had spotting for a few days, and generally felt pretty "tender" down there. I still feel like i have residual crampy feeling, but not bad.
Going in for an HSG this Friday. I am a bit freaked out from the responses, sounds like it affects each person differently. So is taking a couple of ibuprofin or advil really suppose to help?

Just feeling anxious, hoping the pain wont be that bad. I am on the road to more fertiliy testing & procedures so I know this is just part of the whole process to get pregnant.

Been trying for over a year with no luck. Just seems so overwhelming at times. So many appointments, tests and nurses having to go "up" there and I'm not even pregnant yet!

How long did the procedure take?
Everyone has a different threshold for pain.  To me it was painful, felt like a lot of pressure and bad cramping.  Now that I've gone through labor, an HSG is a cake walk.  I do recommend the Motrin.  It helps with the cramping after the procedure.  Take it before you go in.  My doctor also prescribed anti-biotics for me as well but not all doctors do that.  It's a pretty quick procedure, maybe 20 minutes.  You aren't in pain the entire time, just the first few when they blow up the balloon and inject the die.  Good luck.  I wound up pregnant almost a year after my HSG.  I had also tried for over a year.
Just had the HSG today.  There was definitely cramping.  I was told to take Tylenol by my nurse however as she said there have been links between Advil and miscarriages.  I've heard that before as well, so if you're trying to conceive stay away from Advil!
I had one done today, I took up to 800mg of pain medicine (doctors told me I could) all I had were light cramps during and the doctor would stop until my uterus adjusted to the object and dye.

Afterwards well right now I feel bloated, gassy and cramps.. it's uncomfortable but the entire proceedure is bareable.. also I am SHOCKED at those of you who weren't told they needed to get a pregnancy test done by a doctor 24 hours before your HSG.. before mine I had to get blood tests done on the 3rd day of my period and the pregnancy test right before..before they would even do my test.
if you are having horrible camps and sickness there could be a possible infection from the balloon they insert.. it can happen anytime a not fully sterile object is entered into a sterile environment (nothing is ever sterile enough for our uterus)
I had the HSG today. Do not read all over the internet or it will scare you. Seriously ladies, it's a 5 minutes procedure if that, and you do feel a LITTLE pain and pressure when they put the catheter through your cervix but it's nowhere near what you'll read on the internet. I didn't even feel the dye at all. Those who write about intense pain must have a very low pain tolerance. I have endometriosis and let me tell you, cramps from THAT is painful. What to expect after the HSG - little bit of cramping for the rest of the day and a little bit of bleeding. I wish I never read the comments posted by anyone before the procedure because I was expecting it to be torture. All it did was make me extremely nervous.

Hi I am 44 years old and I had an HSG today.
It hurt sooooo bad.  I do not like pain yet I am in Love with a Quebec man and we want a family.
I have had my tubes burned, and the gynecologist informed me I would have been in even more pain if my tubes were intact.

I hope I will never have to go through this test ever again!!!!!!

Leigh
I have had two HSGs and one was nothing to write home about, very painless, and the other was very painful.  Come to find out (from my RE) that it is the skill of the doctor that made the difference.  He always recommends doctor #1 because hers are the best in our city.  She is also the one that didn't hurt me.  So maybe that is the difference in the reports above -- some radiologists are better at this than others.
To follow up, the HSG today was no sweat.  Having the speculum go in hurt about as much as it always does to have a speculum inserted in a standard pelvic exam.  The rest did not hurt at all.  Good luck everyone going in for an HSG, may they all be as easy as mine was.
Hi I had an HSG done about 16 days ago, besides the fact that I found the procedure very painful and almost humiliating, I also developed a tenderness in my mouth and tongue after 4-5 days which now seems to spread in the esophagus.

In the last 2 days, while urinating, I've also noticed a pain in the lower, right side of my abdomen.

Has anyone had a similar experience?
i had the test done about 5 days ago... i found it quite painfull... n i can usually take pain!!! i have had cramps ever since.. n still bleeding.. is that normal??? my stomach is still bloated!!!

iam 27 and have been trying to conceive for over 2 years now!! i have now alittle hope reading all the comments about people getting pregnant after having HSG done!! :)

iam still waiting for m results!! the docs didnt mention anything 2 me about it was jus talking between them selves!!! lol.. hope its good news!
Well I just got came home from my HSG, was sooo worried for something that did'nt last but about 6minutes... The worst part was when they put the dye up in you..  When they put the dye up in me, It did'nt want to go thru for about a minute then it went thru really good... As soon as he was finished I was cramping like the first day of your period, And there was bright red blood. But back at home, and the only thing I can say now, is really tired.. I guess being scared these few day's just wear's you out..lol.. Any one here ever got pregnant after there hsg,, would love to here some stories out there...
i have still not got back 2 normal since having HSG... still getting cramps... period started early too.. that finished.. then few days later i bled for 1 day.. is this normal??? bcoz its freaking me out now.... and i feel drained... went  to docs n he said av got constipation lol... has anyone else experienced this?????? love 2 hear from u thanks
i had a hsg done 5days and i am still bleeding and i have lower back pain and cramping in my stomach i went to my GP on the 3rd day as i was told by the hospital i should'nt bleed 4 more then 2 days the GP did a pelvic examination and has now given anti-biotics because the procedure caused an infection so if u are bleeding more than 2days plz get checked as for the actual procedure it was horrible i hated every second ov it but the only thing that kept me going was after 4 years ov trying i might get an answer so hopefully a should get an answer in 2 weeeks when i see the gyane,,,,,
To everyone about to have an HSG test:
Please do not worry. I had my test done about 5 hours ago and it was not that bad. I could have gone back to work after,but since reading the posts from everyone here before I went in, I decided to finish the day working from home. The procedure went fast, less than 5 minutes, and it was uncomfortable but not too painful. Some points during the test were worse than others but they passed very quickly.  Immediately after the test it felt like I had bad period cramps, but that went away very quickly. Since than I've had slight brown spotting and very light aching.  I think the time spent worrying about the test was worse then the actual procedure!
Good luck, best of health and wishing you all a fertile future!
Hi there!

I had read your post. I have the same problem with you. After the HSG test my period  becomes irregular. During the test, at first it was like menst. cramps only till become worst and then finally wasn't able to take the pain so I was unconscious for a while then the assistant trying to woke me up very hard I had a scratched on my face because her nails were very long. When I was awake I  felt very discomfort and  painful I was crying and not able to move in the x-ray table I was lying there for an hour till the pain went away. It was an awful experience ever.  They dint gave me anything no medicine I was asking if I can take something they said its normal feeling. Can hardly speak that time so I cant argue with them.  

Till now my menst. is irregular after the test. I had my HSG last March 2010 . The whole month of march and april I was bleeding every other week.  Then I went to a doctor she gave me an injection for infection.  I hope it will be regular again so I can start conceiving.
hi guys

Well i guess everyone has got different experiences when they go for the hsg. the most people that will experience the mosts pain are the one's that has blocked tubes.

I went for my hsg on monday, felt a bit discomfort when they were inserting the things and then when they injected the dye i also felt a lot of pain. i was actually in tears, this only lasted for about five minutes, then when i took the xrays the pain wasn't so bad anymore. felt a bit dizzy afterwards and had to wait for 20 minutes to take my next xray.

When i got home the afternoon i was in alot of pain and could not move or walk properly the next day, but today i'm fine.

Trust me when i say that i would not wanna go for another hsg again.
I had an hsg about a month ago. Of course it was painful for me but not life threatening. Anyway..5 days later I begin to spot (not an actual period.) Now I have missed my period for the month...What now? If anyone has experienced this please let me know if this is so-called normal..

Confused
Thanks a ton, i m going for HSG tom, no medicine is provided till yet by doc, may be tom before starting procdure, she might give, but after reading all above i will ask her to give me some medicine.

My doc looks a good lady so i hope she might take care of me.

thanks again...

baby dust on all, may god bless u all soon...
My HSG was very comfortable, no pain, no bleeding.

Doc gave one injection before starting the procedure, after that every thing was quite comfortable, i m totally fine n no pain or cramps.

But she find something wrong with my Uterus, septate??, which she is not confirm about, wana go for saproscopy to confirm what is wrong she is seeing actully in my uterus.

i have asked her for two three month time, as i m afraid of going for saproscopy.

i don't know why this is become so difficult now, i m a mother of a baby girl 8 yrs old that time thr was no problam n now we have been tring from last three years ...
not saproscopy, it is laproscopy, typo mistake, pls. advice me if any of you know about all this...
dont understand whats going on.... i started my period early in may... i hardly bled for 4 days, then all ov a sudden i starte bleeding heavily n getting big blood clots... i was changing my towel like every hour... i bled like ths for over a mnth... went hospital n doctors a few times, each they blaming it on polycystic ovaries... n gav me med 2 stop ma bleeing... n now am like 3 weeks late... am getting really worried now... can this b coz ov the hsg?
I had HSG recently, got heavy periods with clots,backpain,for a month. Now I am taking PID antibiotic course, dr think it is side effect (Infection due to insertion of specula). I was browing the net , saw there could be other things as well like intravasation, any body know this??? had similar expereince???? Dr thought i had narrow tubes, and HSG was really painful expereince, they could not take proper x-ray , I bled like half a cup blood.
I had an HSG today and I am the BIGGEST baby there is about medical stuff. It was pretty painful but lasted just a few mintues. I woke up late for the appointment and did not have time to take the meds early enough. So the meds did nothing for me. It really is not that bad. Reading all this makes you more scared than needed. I felt normal right after. I wish I would have gone to work. I am a teacher and have tried for 7 years to get pregnant. So I took the day off because of how much stuff I read online. Now I am hoping that I will get pregnant and have a christmas miracle!!! They are doing an iui this cycle so I am very excited. The only weird thing about HSG for is is I am now having major dizzy spells. Weird but honestly don't freak out. If I can go through it I think anyone could!!
My HSG today was okay kind.
I had light period like cramp for about 3-4 minutes while the process was going on.
I had spotting too.
Mild back pain.
I didn't take any medicines prior to this or later also.
But every woman is different, it may react in a different way for different people.
All the best.
Ah!!! ..ouch ouch..this is hurts quiet a bit .. the nurse kept insisting I should relax and take deep breaths..but I could barely do it..coz i saw her holding a long stemming pipe sort of a thing..and she tried to convince me it wouldn't hurt.. I doubt if she has ever been through one!! .. although it was all over in 15 mins.. I decided to lie down for a few minutes more..just to get over that pain and discomfort.. towards the night it got a little more crampy .. hope this goes away soon..and pregnancy sinks in!! ..wish me luck!!

~Remo
i'll be having a HSG my next cycle. I was a bit worried about it...i worry about everything. But i've read from other people that it's not too bad and passes quickly. Anyway hubby will come with me so if they hurt me he'll sort them out. lol

Good luck to all of you
I just had an HSG done yesterday and it was fine. There was a little pinching when the doc inserted the catheter and then I was able to put my legs down and I felt fine. I even got to watch it on the TV. My OB/GYN performed the procedure and the radiologist took the pictures. I got my results right away since my doc was the one that did the test and she said everything looked fine. After the procedure, I didn't bleed at all and only had mild cramping. My cramps from my period are FAR worse than the cramps I experienced and I DON'T have endometriosis. I have PCOS and have been TTC for over 2 years and have been unsuccessful. This month I was on Metformin, a round of Clomid, had an ultrasound done and bloodwork on CD3 and then an HSG done on CD8. The only thing I found a little weird was my temp went way up. I'm usually around 97.8 and this morning my temp rose to 98.6 and according to OPK I am not close to ovulating yet. Has anyone else who had the HSG had this happen before?
I had and HSG done a few days ago, and really, it wasn't bad. A few times I felt uncomfortable, but NO pain. I didn't even take Advil or Tylenol. 2 days after I have a little bleeding and spotting.
It's nothing to be scared of. Yes I was nervous, but the Dr. talked me through it step by step. If your "all clear" as I was, then all the nerves are worth it! Good luck ladies!!!!!
I have my HSG scheduled for today afternoon. my doctor asked me to take doxycycline 24 hours before the test and asked me to take midol 1 hour before the test.
yesterday I had got the HSG test done. i did not feel any pain. I did take 2 midol about an hour before. and my doctore prescribe me doxycycline for next full week for infection.

the radiologist put in the tube inside me that was probably the only discomfort felt. her assistant said i would feel a bubble inside me and feel like something is pinching me. but i did not feel anything.

I felt a bit uneasy when i got home but that was just me mentally no physical pain.

NOT BAD test.

not i just need to hear the results. the Radiologist did tell me that the dye did make it upto my stomach so that is a good sign.

I did have to wear a pad has some spotting did occur as soon i got off the table.

I had my HSG 10 days ago. I don't want to scare you but It was very uncomfortable. I felt a lot of pain when the dye was inserted. The procedure took a few minutes. Rememeber your not alone, several women have had to go through this. During the HSG it was discovered that one of my tubes was blocked hence the reason for severe cramps. You may feel sore around the viginal area for a few days and completely put of sex and some light bleeding. (This is normal).

Since the HSG (10 days ago) I have experienced cramps and hardening of my stomach. If you experience the same don't wait around like I did; drinks lots and lots of warm water to ease the cramps and rub hot mustard oil onto your tummy - this will really help. I only discovered this today by reading materials available online and trust me this really has helped, I already feel better. Wish I had done this before.

Remember your not alone and everyones body reacts differently and you only have to go through this once.
Hey ladies. I had HSG done on the 11th. It was not a fun procedure but got through it. I have a tilted cervix so I felt the tube that was inserted hitting my wall. Def a pinch and cramping. Be prepared, but Im sure everyone is different.  I have had severe cramping, gas, and bloating. I am finally going back to the DR tomorrow because something isn't right. I would love the doc to say Im pregnant because it hasn't been fun and then would be worth the pain. I can't imagine where all this gas and severe bloating is coming from. My doc nvr gave me antibiotics either? Anyone still experiencing same symptoms? My stomach sounds like I have a monster in it....help. trying to get prego xoxo
i had my hsg done about a week ago they did they id probs loose blood after wards or spotting and i havent lost any is that a good thing or bad ? x
I HAD A hsg done a about a week ago and they said i would probs loose abit of blood or spotting afterwards i never lost anythink is this good or bad? thanks
Hi ladies,

I have got back from having my hsg a few hours ago. It was not a great experience for me as they had trouble geting the catheter in but once that was in and the dye was put in i could relax whilst they look the xray. For me it just felt really uncomfortable and a little painful and i felt pressure when the dye was put in. I am now experienceing 'period like' pains. I'd advice anyone to take painkillers before hand and if you are one to get nervous (like me) maybe take something like calms or rescue remody.

Everyones experience is different so If you are reading this as its your first time then i'd say just try and prepare yourself to relax as much as poss, close your eyes and think of something nice and breathe slowely as that really does help and remember it is over very quickly :-)  
I just had one yesterday. The radiologist told me that every woman's experience is going to be different. I was very nervous going into it but I didn't feel a thing. It's the day after and I'm still fine. There's just a little spotting, which they say should go away in a few days.
I had an HSG yesterday. After reading other's experiences I took a pain killer before I went. What I wasn't prepared for was the nausea, vomiting, cold sweats, and itchy skin that followed about 30 minutes after my test. These symptoms lasted nearly 24 hours. No cramping after and only minimal discomfort during the procedure itself.
I had an HSG done on Nov. 12. The procedure was short; and while uncomfortable, which I expected, it wasn't really painful. Just a little with the speculum part and when the dye went in. But about 1 1/2 hours after I got home, abdominal pain hit me (not cramps). I couldn't even stand up straight. That eased to some extent after about 5 hours and there was some pain the next day but all gone by next evening. No idea why there was no pain during but that strong pain after (maybe painkillers wore off). But my period seems heavier and there's a bit more cramping than usual (usually cramps are one-day and light or zero for me). Has anyone had heavier periods following an HSG? (PS Mine was done CD 16 as couldn't be done on my original appointment due to the doctor being away, and they offered me to go ahead after ovulation once we strictly used protection during sex. I spotted lightly for the following week and got period after CD25, normal timing)
I had an HSG done 4 days ago. As an informed patient, I of course researched it on the internet before going in. It seemed that people were split on how painful it was, so I figured the women who complained just had a low tolerance for pain, or didn't take painkillers beforehand. So I really wasn't worried. I certainly wasn't looking forward to it, but I wasn't worried. I took a vicodin about an hour before the procedure, then went in expecting everything to be fine. Well, I was shocked at how painful it was. It starts like a pap, with the speculum going in, which was the easy part. Then they clean the cervix, which caused me to clench up a bit. But in my head, I was thinking if this was the worst part, this would still be a breeze. Then they put the catheter in, at which point things started to get uncomfortable. Once they pushsed the dye through, it hurt so bad that I had to just squeeze my eyes shut and concentrate on my breathing or I was going to pass out. I could feel tears coming out the sides of my eyes and streaming down my face into my ears. I couldn't even watch the screen to see the dye flow through my tubes because all I could do was close my eyes and concentrate on my breathing. The good news is it was fast, and I found out right away that my tubes were open. But by the time the doc told me that, I was kind of in shock. Like medical shock. I has shaking and light-headed when I sat up. I've never felt anything like that. And that was with a narcotic pain killer! I couldn't believe it! Once I could sit up without feeling dizzy, I just chatted with the nice tech for a few minutes then went on my way and drove home. I probably could have gone to work after, but I was very glad I took the entire day off.  

So, after the procedure, I bled (red) for a few hours. Not a bunch, but it would come out when I went the bathroom. A light pad would have been enough protection. Then for the next about 48 hours, I had a strange discharge of tissue-looking debris. It was gray and clumpy, like wet newspaper the first day, then brown and clumpy the next day. I couldn't even get a finger up there to investigate because it was so dry and blocked with debris. No one told me that could happen, but after searching the internet, it seems it does indeed happen to some people, and its nothing to worry about. I'm still curious what it was, but no one has an answer. I've also been terribly bloated and constipated since the procedure. Now 4 days later, my cervical fluid seems almost normal again, and all the debris has passed. I can check my cervical fluid and cervix position again. I'm still constipated and bloated, is suspect from absorbing the excess dye in my abdomen. I'm not due to ovulate for another week (cd 22 or so), so I'm hoping that isn't negatively affected, though it wouldn't surprise me, since my ovulation can be a bit erratic.

Ladies, everyone's experience is different, so don't go in expecting the worst. But definitely medicate first, just in case. I would also suggest planning a manicure or ice cream sundae for afterwards because no matter how bad it is, you're now one step closer to your end goal, and that is something to celebrate.
Good morning ladies my 1st time posting I had an HSG test done 3 days ago and it's was VERY painful... A lil discomfort and then the pain increased... I didn't know I was going to bleed at all and I have been bleeding ever since waiting to call my dr on Monday because it seems as if it may have brought my period down... The day after the test i was still feeling discomfort in my lower abdomen... Does anyone know how long I'm expected to bleed because they say u get pregnant fast after but i haven't been able to perform the act of getting pregnant because of the bleeding.. thank u
I had this procedure done two days ago and calijeepgirl's story could have been my story! The only difference is that I have no debris coming out other than clots the same as with my period. And also, I WAS NOT MEDICATED!!!
I have no idea why I didn't take something, guess I was nervous and forgot...?  No one told me to either, not even the doctor's office. This procedure for me, was a torture like no other. Not only did I cry, I openly sobbed and at one point even screamed loudly, ok, twice; but I couldn't help it!  The attending technician gave me a towel to grip and bite on. The OB/GYN asked me 4 times during the procedure if I wanted him to stop, that it was only going to get worse. But I couldn't stop, I needed the answers this test was going to give me. He also told the technician to make sure he got the x-ray in one shot because I wouldn't be able to tolerate a second attempt.

I as well, was in too much pain to watch the screen to see the dye flow, but the attending technician showed me later on, once I calmed down and was coherent again. My tubes are not blocked, so at least I got good news at the end of the torture. I was not able to drive myself home, luckily my sister-in-law came with me, nor would I have been able to go to work that day. I was in extreme pain for hours afterward, even with medication. The worst menstral cramps ever and I've had endometriosis. It's two days later and I'm still in discomfort, plus I'm very bloated and gassy. I tend to tense up when I'm in pain so now my entire body is sore and aching as well.

I would definitely recommend you ask for a muscle relaxer as well as a pain killer for before the test. I know I should have. The intense pain didn't last long during the procedure, but the cramping and discomfort, for me, is still happening. Plus I am also bleeding as if I'm on my period. I'm hoping that stops soon so we can get on with the process of baby making!
I had a HSG done about 3 weeks ago. It was extremly painful when the Dr. inflated the balloon. He had to inflate and deflate it because it was too painful. At one point I told him " it doesn't feel right but as long as your sure your not hurting something inside, I will deal with the pain to get this done." So he did it and I went home sore. 2 weeks later I have been diaganosed with 2 infections. I have no idea if its related but I still have the soreness in my pelvic area. The same soreness as when I left the hospital after the procedure but worse. I am bleeding but I should not be on my period. Im regular every month and shouldn't be on my period. I just know something more is going on and I am so frustrated. :(
Felt nothin at all and I didnt take anything before going either.had it to check up on my essure implants..but now only a few hours later im having bad cramps but ibuprofen is helping..its not bad at all I was freaked out but no biggy..
I had a hsg yesterday and about three hours later my abdomen became very distended and painful. Still very painful today. Any thoughts?
how about seven days to HSG test feeling cramping and back pain.
I totally agree with you, I had it done about two weeks ago and saw stars due to the pain and I took 4 advil.  My left tube was blocked and the Doctor kept shooting the dye and the balloon burst so the water / dye just went everywhere but my right tube was fine and open.  It was very painful, but it didn't last a few minutes and when it was over, after about 10 minutes, I was fine.  A little shaken and weak but not really any pain afterwards. Take a pad, because you will need one or they may provide you with one, as they did me. Hope everything turns out good for you!!
Ladies i just had my hsg done monday n i was so scared when i saw a needle but i calmed down after a nurse told me i wasnt gonna get poked by it overall i had no pain or i didnt feel anythin throughout the whole procedure except it feltfelt warm inside when the baloon started growing before the dye other than that no pain at all i guess it depends on a body today is 5th day after hsg n im passing gas for past 3days and i have a headache idk if im prego or its a side affect from the test
hii friends..i had also taken hsg test on last friday.b4 went to hosptl,i searched it through the internet for knowing what the test is.so i got an idea abt that.i was nervous just b4 entering the room.i had the turn 3rd.2 ladies b4 me had easiness in the test.so i thought i had too.i took an injection b4 the procedure.the lady doctor was trying to insert cathether more times.but i was uncomfortable bcoz my legs had no support.nurses were made my legs very wide.i think its easy for ultrasonic scan compared to this.they tried alot for inserting.but my thighs were still strong bcoz of pain.they told try to loose ur legs.i too very long breathing one by one.atlast they inserted and pushed the dye.thn the radiologist came and watched screen.ihad no blocks.after tht i felt irritating in vagina.a feeling of blood flowing from there.bt it was dye.so i put a pad for safety.after 2 hours i felt normal.bt i have brownish spotting along with mucus from vagina.not always.when i went to toilet and aftr urinating its thr.i thnk its bcoz of dye.anyone having this type of spotting aftr that?pls reply me.
  I had my hsg test done Aug. 23. The procedure itself wasn't bad.  The most painful part for me was inserting the speculum because I have vulvadynia. The radiologist had a hard time getting the balloon to stay in, so he had to use another kind of catheter, which meant reinserting the speculum.  Once he finally was able to start injecting the dye, I felt a little burning sensation, especially around my cervix and a little cramping in my uterus, but it only lasted about a minute and it was over.  I had taken 3 motrin prior to the test.  I had no bleeding, just a couple small clots in the toilet after wards.  I started to cramp a little on the ride home, and a little the next few days, but nothing bad.  
The problems started for me about 3 days after.  I started cramping pretty bad and I had a feeling of fullness in my uterus and my tubes were sore.  I also had a dull pain in my lower left abdomen.  I called the doctor and he told me to take 800mg of mortin three times a day and stay on it.  I did, and about 3 days later I still had no improvement so I called him back.  I went in for a visit and he did an ultra sound and told me I was fine and it would just take time to feel better because some women react like this after the test.  So, I went home and continued taking the pain relievers for the next two weeks.  In the mean time the pain in my left side continued to get worse and worse. I called them back and he called in a script for an antibiotic just in case I had gotten an infection. five days later, and still no improvement.  So, yesterday I went back to my OBGYN and he did another ultrasound and said there is nothing wrong with me gynecologically.  He wants me to follow up with my family doctor to see what is causing the pain.  It's going to take a little more than that to convince me this pain is not from that test.  I was fine before I had it done.  If I had it to do over again I would not have had the test.  The results of the hsg showed everything was fine.  
I've never posted before I had the hsg test done today the procedure was uncomfortable but not painful however 2 hours later I started getting bad period pain cramps and I'm aching now and feel like I've pulled muscles inside! Is this normal? My tubes are clear the doc said however I do have a heart shaped uterus has any one fell pregnant with this uterus abnormality?