Silent Reflux Meds
Hi. My daughter is 9 weeks old and suffers from silent reflux. During her feedings she becomes very uncomfortable (squirming, arching back, choking) and can't seem to keep up with what she is drinking. Sometimes she gags after I take the bottle from her mouth. She was on Zantac but it wasn't helping so her pediatrician just prescribed Prevacid. There was a weeing period where she was taking both meds. This is when I saw improvement. She was taking the bottle fine, sleeping longer stretches and only waking up once in the night. Now that she has stopped taking the Zantac and is only on the Prevacid her reflux symptoms seem to be returning. I give her the Prevacid right before her bedtime bottle. Am I giving it to her too close to the time she eats? Should I ask my pediatrician about Nutramigen? Is there any possibility that this is not silent reflux but something else and that is why the meds do not seem to be working? I am a first time mom and very anxious about this whole thing. Feeding time has turned from bonding time to a very stressful time. Please help!
I totally feel for you. We just got my baby's med right a week or 2 ago- it took until 8 1/2 months!!! She's not 100%, but it's so much better.

It does sound like reflux, especially since being on the prevacid and zantac made such a difference. Her return of symptoms just means that she's not on the right meds now or the right dose. At this point, i would recommend you speak to the ped about a referral to a gastro. When just prevacid or zantac alone wasn't cutting it for my baby, he sent us to a gastro. She was much more knowledgable about appropriate dosing for babies.

I VERY strongly suggest you go to http://www.marci-kids.com/ (the marci kids website, if the link is deleted you can do a search) as it has current information on reflux and meds. it even has things you can print out and bring to your ped.

Zantac alone didn't cut it for my dd. Neither did 1 dose of prevacid. For her, prevacid solutabs 15 mg twice a day seems to be working.

the dose of meds needs to be changed frequently as babies gain weight. However, Prevacid is not dosed according to weight though, since it's linked more to how the baby metabolizes it. In cases of severe reflux, a combination of meds may be required. Severe cases may also need meds like reglan. I think they do more tests before prescribing meds like that though.

So... moral of the story- ask to see a gastro. You won't regret it. Also, prevacid needs to be given on a completely empty stomach and 20-30 minutes before a feed, otherwise it becomes inactive. Also, what form of prevacid is it? Is it the solutab or a compounded medicine? If it's compounded, many many people report that it becomes inert after a week or 2. Since most bottles are prescribed for a month a time, that means 2+ weeks of taking inactive medicine until the next refill. I DID find this to be true with our last batch of compounded prevacid, which is why we switched to solutabs.