Maternal & Child Community
Sleeping on stomachs
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Sleeping on stomachs

The nurseys said never to let your baby sleep on their stomach because this increases the chance of SIDS. But i have heard that it is just as bad to let them sleep on their backs incase they vomit (they could choke). My daughter loves sleeping on her stomach but I am uncomfortable doing this because it is not recommonded. What do you guys think
Related Discussions
12 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
159354_tn?1286371288
how old is your daughter?
Blank
129291_tn?1205780063
I used to let my DD sleep on her tummy during the day and then on her back during night. You just have to be carefull and check on her a lot!
Blank
She is 3 months
Blank
138891_tn?1189759426
I was fine with allowing my children sit on both their tummies and backs.  For anyone with concerns, I believe (4 years ago) they had a some type of wedge/pillow that helped an infant sleap on its side.
Blank
159354_tn?1286371288
My girl started sleeping on her stomach about 3-4 months....I think once you get past the 3 months of age...you are good.  My daughter had a lot of head and neck strength...she rolled over early on her own so I didn't have much choice...
Blank
My ds hated sleeping on his back so at 6wks he actually rolled over by himself so the DR said he could sleep on his back. Also I read that letting a baby suck on a pacifier while sleeping can reduce the risk of SIDS, so we put him on his tummy w/ a pacifier :)
Blank
Do you have one of those wedges they put under the baby's back/side so the baby sleeps at a slight angle?
Blank
My DD started out on her side at first and when she wouldn't sleep well like that we tried the belly, she was about 3 months old when we switched maybe a bit sooner. She is now 8 months old and will only sleep on her belly. I prefer the bell to the back due to the fact that if they vomit they can very well choke and hate dthat feeling.
Tiffany
Blank
with my son i used a wedge to alternate sides. i was worried his head would be flat haha.
Blank
164559_tn?1233711618
I know the recomendation here in Canada is "back to bed"  Apparently they will turn their head if they spit up in their sleep.  My babies were turning over at 3 months, so while I put them to sleep on their backs, they often ended up on their tummies.  Technically 12 months is when the high is over.
Blank
with my baby cuzins they sleep on their tummys with a bikkie with there cheeks on the pillow (so there head is on the side) i've learned that they sleep alot longer like that.

Also get a noise making (that what i call it) where it has the sounds of a heartbeat or wind and even the sea. OMG God made that. lol they never wake up.

Good Luck
Blank
Hi.  I think the whole SIDS thing is a little overblown actually.  I had both my newborn babies sleep next to me in bed, mostly tummy down.  They slept more soundly than when placed on their backs.  I even had them sleep summy down on sheepskins, which are very breathable.
....there are other factors involved when a baby inexplicably dies while sleeping...i have never been convinced from literature and such that this if from stomach sleeping.  I felt more comfortable though sleeping next to them so I could hear them all night.  
My second son, by the way threw up a lot!! And once when he was on his back (sleeping in bed next to me) he threw up, and did not turn his head like others have mentioned , and started to choke.  So glad he was next to me in bed so I could tend to him right away!!!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Maternal & Child Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...