Slow Fetal Growth
Hi, I am in Aruba, 36 yrs old, and this is my 3rd pregnancy (have to kids, a girl of 2 and boy of 4)

My last period was 6/17, and I tested positive on 7/21, which should make me around 9wks pregnant. However, for the last week I had very slight brown discharge when wiping and it turned red on Monday (no spotting on underwear though, just when wiping) so I decided to visit my OBGYN.

He did HD scan, and repeatedly asked me the dates of my last period etc. and then concluded after measuring that the fetus only showed to be 61/2 wks old - so there is almost a 3wk discrepancy.
I asked him for his honest and realistic opinion, and he said that the fetus is not developing at the rate it should, and that probably it will not go full term. I have another appointment in a weeks time and needless to say I am very nervous since I have to wait ...

Has anyone ever experienced something similar?

Thanks for any help!

Daphne :)
Hi... There are lots of posts on the subject if you go to the archives.Going tro those would help you.
Any idea what to look/search for?
I don't want to give you bad news but the same thing happened to me & I had a blighted ovum. Nothing ever developed in the sac. If you look in the archives look for blighted ovum, baby measuring small, brown spotting. Many of these cases should be similar to yours!
Thank you for responding :)

I have looked a bit through the archive and it doesn't look very good. However, it did show a hearbeat - just that the fetus was not matching up with the size it is supposed to be.

The worst part obviously is the waiting. :(
Will hopefully know more next week!
did they tell you what the heartbeat measured at?
if the heartbeat was in the 100s I wouldn't worry because it probaly means you ovulated late or something. Don't give up hope.
Dear Misseltoe,

Thank you so much for your positive comments.
Don't want to keep my hopes up, but it does feel good that there are positive cases out there - I am very happy for you! :)

Like I said, the waiting is the worst part - next week I'll hopefully know more

Thanks for all the support!

D.
My lmp was 4/21 got a positve hpt 5/22.  When for first scan and it was measuring 10 days later than what I thought I was.  I am not 16w 2days.
Thanks for your comments! :)
This is a great forum!
He kept asking you about the dates because they were so off on the ultrasound.  I was in your same situation at the start of my pregnancy, though my bleeding was heavy.  Unfortunately the only way to know what is going to happen is to wait and see.   My dates were not off, but I measured a full two weeks smaller, then the growth sped up at a weird rate at each ultrasound.  Like the baby grew 22 days in 16 days, etc.  The growth was never consistent with the amount of time that passed.  In the end my official due date is nine days later than my first due date was. I know exactly when I ovulated and we only had sex once, so there is no way my dates are off.  But the baby stopped growing and we have no idea why, we are just very very happy that she started growing again.  

I hope you get the best news at your next ultrasound.  A heartbeat is a good sign.
Hu Maryann

No - since this is the first time it has happened, it took me by surprise and I wasn't prepared :(

I am doing some more research now in the event the next scan shows differently, so I can ask relevant questions ...

However, from his initial reaction, it did seem he was mainly doubting the actual conception date, for he repeatedly asked me when I saw my last period and when I had a positive test.
My last period (first day was 6/17) and I had a positive test on 7/21.
i am having the same problem at this very point of time. 2 day i went to specialist in annapolis and they told me my baby is 3 wks behind in growth and i am 21 weeks, shes weighing at 18 wks.  I was scared and shook up because they say that shes not getting enough nutrients through the placenta, but im gonna keep hope alive and put it in GOD's hands and i want you to do the same, he never make mistakes. GOD knows best.
I know this post is old but I am experiencing something quite similar and I am just as nervous and worried as you probably were. If could just give an update on your turn outs I would greatly appreciate it thanks