Maternal & Child Community
Slow Sucking Reflex

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Slow Sucking Reflex

My son was born with the umbilmical cord wrapped around his neck. Once the hospital got his oxygen back, he suffered seizures. He is now off seizure mediciation of Pheobarital. The doctors are hoping that the seizures are gone. After three weeks old they decided to give him a bottle. They waited so long because of a weak gag reflex. He is slowing only taking 20cc because he doesn't have a strong sucking reflex. Is there any way to get him to suck stronger? Or any tips on how to feed him other then a feeding tube? He is on a NG tube right now. The doctors wanted him to go on a G tube but my husband and I didn't find this necessary as he is slowly progressing. He is still in NICU.

Thank you!
It sounds like you've had a really rough beginning - prayers that he continue to progress.

In the past,  I've worked with babies with "poor suck" - by cutting a tiny little "cross" in the top of the nipple,  it allows more formula to come out very easily.

BUT FIRST,  please ask the docs about this.  I'm kind of worried that if he has a poor gag reflex,  this may cause too much formula to come out too soon.

In the past,  I've seen babies helped by it - it doesn't increase their sucking ability but it does give them more nutrition for the same amount of sucking.

Best wishes.    I hope you get to take him home soon.
I am sorry your babyhad such a rough start.  Just be patient, he will catch on to sucking.  Try not to worry about rushing him to drink faster.

I pray you all get to go home soon.