Maternal & Child Community
Small Gestastational Sac with Healthy Fetal Heartbeat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I had a 7 week u/s yesterday and fhb was a healthy 140, as was the embryo size, but the u/s dr. said the gestastional sac looked too small and scheduled me for a follow-up u/s in 2 weeks.  I am concerned and wondering if others have experienced a healthy heartbeat and embryo size with a small sac and what was the outcome over the next few weeks?   What are my chances of not miscarrying at this point? I have had no bleeding at all in this pregnancy and have all pregnancy symptoms.  I am hoping that maybe the u/s was just too early and the sac will catch up with the embryo's development over the next couple of weeks?

Thank you.
I'm sure its nothing to get too concerned about.  Sometimes I'll look at online u/s photos after my u/s (Yes, I am a dork) and noticed that it looks like some of the online babies don't have room to move b/c their sacs are so small, but they are indicated as healthy.  As long as the hb is good and the baby looks healthy, I'd try not to get too worked up.  Good luck.
With my third pregnancy they did an u/s at 7 wks to check due date confirmation...u/s tech also said sac was small repeat u/s 2 wks..  u/s was much better after 2 weeks.  I also saw a maternal fetal specialist with that pregnancy and he said that all the u/s looked very well he said most times the sac is not too small it just isn't big enough yet.  Don't get yourself all worked up I'm sure everything will be ok.*~*~* Baby Dust*~*~*~
Same exact thing happened to me last year. I went in for a sonogram at 8 weeks and the sono tech told me the sac was too small and I would probably miscarry. The baby looked fine as did the heartbeat but it took up most of the sac (over half of it). This is when I found this web sight and started posting on here.
Well, March 22 2006 I had a healthy baby girl. Everything turned out just fine.

I went back in at 13 weeks (5 weeks later) to recheck the sac size and it was perfect.

Thank you all.  You have made me feel much better!  I have a follow-up u/s next week so hopefully the sac size will be bigger by then!
Hi , I am so glad to find this post .As I am driving myself crazy with sadness and worry.We had 8 week u/s yesterday and doctor said baby was goof , measured 8 week 2 days , heartrate 186.Now the scarey part , he said sac is small(should be 2 times bigger)  , and we may lose baby , we are waiting to do another u/s may 24th ,doctor said next u/s will tell story . I am sooo scared!!! How could this happen??? this is our 3rd IVf and the only one which we got pregnant , can anyone please help me ??? babydust and hugs to alll ... emily
I'm also going through the same thing. I was having a lot of bleeding so we did12 week Sono today baby is growing like it should hb was 186. Sono showed sac is small Dr didn't seem concerned. She did however find a polyp. She thinks that has caused bleeding. Has anyone else had a polyp while pregnant and should I be concerned? Ob Dr didn't say much.