Maternal & Child Community
Small gestational sac for embryo

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Small gestational sac for embryo

I had an ultrasound two days ago because of bleeding. The bleeding was dark brown to dark red. There was a normal heart rate and there seemed to be a subchorionic hemorrhage which seems to be the reason for the bleeding. The embryo was measuring right on target 7 weeks and 2 days but the gestational sac was measuring too small 5 weeks 6 days. Would this cause the embryo to possibly stop growing and end up in a miscarriage. I am so scared that I don't even want another ultrasound because I'm too scared to see that the sac isn't growing anymore. I read an article that said if there is that much of a discrepency that it can end up in a fetal demise. Are there any words of advice. Terribly confused and nervous. I don't even want to think about the pregnancy anymore because it gets me depressed to think about what I am going to see on the ultrasound next week. I'm wondering if this can happen again was it something I could have controlled. Was it me or just the pregnancy?
Nykki,

If you seen a heartbeat that's awesome, you should go to the website misdiagnosed miscarriages there are so many awesome stories there it will help you so much.

God Bless, Carla
Tahnk you sooo much. You made me feel much better. Have a Happy Thanks Giving!
Thank you very much for your comment it'll help me cope with the next couple of weeks a little easier. Happy Thanks Giving!
I had the same thing happen. I went in for a sono at 9 weeks. The baby had a heartbeat but the sac looked extremely small. It was measuring between a week and 2 weeks behind. The sono lady thought I would miscarry. I was terrified for the next few weeks waiting to lose it. I finally rented a doppler a week later and found the heartbeat on that. I listened to that everyday sometimes it took an hour to find it but I would try till I found it. From everything I read it can go both ways. Some people lose their babies and some carry them.

I am now 23 weeks pregnant and the sac was measuring perfect by 13 weeks. Everything looks great with my baby and it is a girl!
I am current having the same problem and I can understand how scared you are, and I am too.  I am currently 6.7weeks and started bleeding/ stopping yesterday.  The doctor sent me for a US and the heart rate was 128, however the sac is very small and they are very concerned.  The ultrsound lady said sometime these things happen, not what I wanted to hear. The doctor said to rest and do as little as possible bleeding is normal during the first trimester and often is nothing.  Still I am very nervous. I have another US in 1w1d.
If you can find out the measurements it will give you a better idea. The sac needs to be at least 5mm larger than the crown rump length measurement to be in the normal range. Otherwise I believe they told me it was an 80% chance of miscarriage. She figured mine for me and it was 7.9 mm larger which gave me a 25% chance of miscarriage. The sac looked VERY small on the sono and the baby filled at least 3/4 of it if not more. But, like I said at my 13 week sono the sac measured perfectly so it doesn't have to mean miscarriage. I understand what you are both going through though. I had 4 weeks of being really scared.
I am having a similar experience.  I started spotting on Thursday so I went in for bloodwork and an u/s.  There was a heartbeat but it was slow and the fetus measured at 6weeks(according to my LMP I should have been 7 weeks).  I went back on Monday because I started to bleed not spot and there was still a heartbeat but again slow (90).  The gestational sac was also at 5 weeks and the fetus at 6 weeks.  They said it was 99% I would miscarry.  I just came back from another u/s.  The heartbeat actually went up a little bit to 104 and the fetus grew a little but the gestational sac still has not grown.  My doctor told me to come back in a week to see if there is still a heartbeat.  I feel like I am just waiting for my baby to die.  Does anyone know why the gestational sac would stop growing but the fetus would continue to grow?  I am lost.
My friend has recently had 2nd lot of IVF and got pregnant. They are now saying at 9 wks that the embryo is small. They keep saying that it is 1 wk behind. Surely if it is consistently growing how is it meant to catch up? They have mentioned chromosomal abnormalities. Surely it is to early to say? My friend is worried sick.
hi curently i am having the same issue.i am 10.4 weeks pregnant (according to my lmp date) i h
ad little bleeding two days back so i went to the US there they said the heart beat is nice but i am 8 weeks pregnant and my sack is only of 7 week growth which is smaller than the fetus by one week.i am very much worried that my baby should be normalgrowth and should have a normal pregnancy.
PLEASE if anybody have experienced the same give me ur words
jaya

My last period was march 1st I took home pregnancy tests march 25th that came back positive and went to te hospital the 26th and try done blood and urine work and estimated that I was between 2 and 3 weeks pregnant, so therefor I thought I would be 8 weeks coming from my lmp and what the hospitals say and I got my first ultrasound today and the baby was measuring at 6 weeks 2 days an the sac was at 5 weeks 6 days. And he said if I was truly 8 weeks then it's a bad pregnancy. I am very concerned and would like some feed back !!!! This is my first baby !
I am currently experiencing the same issue. I have always had irregular periods so when I was first told I was PG they said i was almost 10 weeks. I made a Dr apt and they said It was either really small (5wks) or I was very early in my PG. So I went in today (a week later) for my scheduled apt. I seem to have started my period about 2 days ago. So when I went in they said that the baby is growing normally (6 wks) but the sac is very small and I would have a 50/50 chance of miscarage and the bleeding was probably due to implantation. When I finally found an explination it says that usually happens with "late fertilization of ovum" so when I tried looking for an explination for it all I got was inf sites.... any one know the reasons behind that or a good site? I've tried web MD and all the online baby sites with no help. I also thought that a home PG test wouldn't show positive until 6 days after implantation? If that's true then why did I have 4 positive urine tests if I'm just now implanting? I'm just freaking out and would like some answers.