Maternal & Child Community
So my OB blew me off....=S

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

So my OB blew me off....=S

After all these days of feeling 'weird', I called my OB... told him about all I've been experiencing... and what do I get?

'Oh Vanessa, it's not likely you have PPD... not this far, you're probably overreacting and what you are feeling is somewhat normal.... why don't you call your family doctor instead?'

OH MY GOD!

I just wanna SMACK him!!!! I can't believe he did that! I was so mad I just said 'Thank you' and hung up.... I couldn't even gather words to say anything back to him!

I am so getting a new OB.....

urgh!

OH! but he made sure to mention: 'so... when is your next baby coming???'

ARGH!!!! are you kidding me??? is like saying 'make me stay in business lady...!'

I'm SOOO irritated....

what an @%%!!!!

--
on another note: I just read about a c-section question below... and I've been wondering the same thing... how many c-sections are considered 'safe'... but ALSO, I've wondered if a c-section could leave a person scarred (sp? like from a scar) the first time and not let a new embrio attach ever again? is there any kind of surgery to correct that in case that could happen?
Yeah yeah yeah.... the paranoid one talking again... heheheh ;)
could a c/s leave you scarred? yes.  remember i told you not to do it????? yes, drs like to limit you to no more than 3 (although again, many women have had more than 3 safely) because the risks of uterine rupture (which i can speak about from personal experience) and placenta accreta increase.   it is unlikely though -- c/s are so common that drs have become highly skilled. however, any incision can cause scar tissue - adhesions.  there have been studies done that showed higher incidence of infertility and miscarriage after c/s.  but why would you worry now?  wait until your ttc to investigate IF necessary (it is unlikely to happen -- keep reminding yourself of that!) yes, there is surgery to correct - ahesiolysis -- however, my dr. told me that if you are the kind of person that makes scar tissue, then you could get scar tissue from the surgery to remove the scar tissue -- so don't bother with the surgery.  i could go on and on -- i am so against elective c/s for these reasons -- but i know how you felt at the time and i know that it was the best decision for you and i do respect that.  as someone who hasn't had the option, it was hard to hear!  but really, you are worrying right now about things you don't need to worry about.  these are all "maybe" and far off.  

as to your ob -- i have not so nice words for him! call your family dr and go from there.  

i hope you feel better, i know how hard this time is, i felt as you do -- it was overwhelming and i never sought out help for it.  really, you will find yourself analyzing everything and is just isn't worth it.  i made my daughters paranoid! you don't want to do do that (now i see the error of my ways!)
p.s. after re-reading my post, i hope it wasn't harsh, b/c i didn't mean it to be -- i am wishing you the best of everything - and trying to let you know that while your concerns do have basis in reality - you really can make yourself crazy with the "what if" and i know because i do it all the time!!!!  don't be like me!
Thank you girl =)

Ya know, you are right when you mentioned: it was the best decision for me and Maddie at the time. I shouldn't regret it, and I don't. She was born with lots of meconium that if we had waited out... it could have been VERY dangerous for her. At the time, I didn't know why I chose that... other than scared of the 'pushing and hours of labor, and getting dd stock in birth canal', but now I see, after all, that it was best for me AND her to have a 10 minute birth, safe, and to free her from inhaling that nasty nasty stuff.

With that said: yep, I do remember you caring about me... thank you! =) I still wouldn't change it for the world though. And YES you are right, I should worry about that when it's the time. Not now. Now I have what I love the most in this life... and THAT'S what's all about. =)

I think it made me think of that for three reasons: my scar is UGLY... and i just wonder if it is the same way from inside... or if I just did too much too soon when recovering...??. Another is, well, my past history of infertility. And the other one is: that stupid tarot session I had when the lady told me I was gonna have a daughter of my own, and the second one I was going to adopt. Don't get me wrong, if it comes down to adopting... so be it! babies ARE babies, they are all precious and I am sure an adoptive mother loves their kids JUST AS MUCH as a biological one! no doubt about it. =)

Yeah, it just feels 'weird'... I'm so glad you recovered tho! it must have been scary! all you've gone thru ..., it's a lot Alikat, but you are here and that's what matters =))

I will call a doctor (we don't have a family one since we relocated to the area), I found out we are switching insurances and I don't know when the new one will kick in... so I have to ask the HR lady about that...

argh... what a bunch of BS!
nah, not harsh,.... sometimes it's good to have someone (specially friends) pull your ears a little...

I know you care... and believe me... I've had it worse! lol

I can tell, though, when I get 'startled' by someone who cares or when I get 'c&ap' from someone that is mean-intentioned. ;)
thanks, i hoped what i was saying came across without sounding like "i told you so" or something b/c that is NOT what i was meaning.  you can't second guess yourself - so you have to just move on from here.  with my first c/s, i had the most beautiful scar - can you imagine?  i think it goes to the skill of the dr and your ability to heal (some people make more scar tissue than others).  that one --  a year later and it couldn't even be seen! seriously! but the second was so ugly it was shocking - really horrifying - and i did get a tummy tuck and get it fixed (and if i ever get pg again, i will do another tummy tuck, even though it is off the chart painful - the results are worth it).

unfortunately, as to the infertility, there isn't much you can do while not ttc - so it isn't worth tearing yourself up wondering about.  i have heard that you should drink red raspberry leaf tea to help your uterus heal, but i never tried it, so i don't know if it works :).  

i am overly protective of my daughters, and they are older than yours, and now i can see that maybe i haven't really done them any favors, b/c they are both scared to death of being away from me!  i think i have made things harder on them because i was soo scared of anything happening to them.  learn from my mistakes.
wow, I wish I could say I scar beautifully... *stops and thinks* although I had my RE tell me I have a 'beautiful uterus lining'..... does that count?!?!?!?!
;)

I can see how you feel about your daughters. I am not sure where to draw the line of 'being a good caring mom' and 'harming your kids with over protection'... as everything in life: balance is the key.

At least you won't have your girls go to college too far! ;)

I've been SOOOO overly protective and paranoid with her that I picture 'worst case scenarios'... and that scares me REALLY bad... but I am working on it... I've been working on it with my mom (she's got some phsychology certification) ever since I realized I got a problem!... I just thought 'it was normal'... but it was really getting bad =( to the point that I 'suffered' while imagining those stupid things.

Did you have that happen to you? did you see any doctors for that?
Ummm, fire your OB and call your family practice doc. That is who I used, but i know most don't have one and use their OB for that. My family doc was super about it.

As far as the C-section, it really depends on the person. I have heard of women having multiple sections with no problems. However my real mom had only one and 15 years later when she went in for her hysterectomy, they found her bowel had adhered to her uterine scar. Scary stuff that was unknown until the doctor was in there operating.

I am totally against elective c-sections because of the potential risks down the road and considering it is major surgery, but your case was warranted for sure as was my real mom's as she had lost my little sister during vaginal delivery just 14 months earlier.

Have you called your primary doctor?
My SIL has had 4 c-sections with no problems at all.   My mom had 1 c-section (my brother was over 10 lbs)    She has exactly what Andi's mom had.    Except my mom has severe pain with hers.
I've had 1 c-section.   My scar is hardly visible.  I had all inside stitches.    I wonder if
it scars more when they use staples.
i had staples both times, and my scar was virtually invisible the first time.  
for that very reason I did not want another c section.  I know I wanted another and they say 3 is the limit and sometimes 2.  So that is why I went for a v bac with parissa and it all went very smooth that way I know I can have another.  about the scraping of scar tissue my obgyn said they don't do that really anymore because it ends up causing more scar tissue... oh and the scar tissue is on the inside not the out  ;)

you can go for a v bac next time around mine was very easy and I had her with 3 pushes.. good luck vane
it is always nice to hear a successful vbac, especially now that very few hospitals will even offer the option anymore.  and very few drs will agree to them.  people agreeing to that first cut need to know what they are up against for the next.  vbac's have fallen out of favor in the medical industry due to the current medico-legal climate.  

i attempted a vbac, and suffered a complete uterine rupture.  even the option of a vbac does not mean you will not get cut.  if you want a large family it is very important to avoid that first c/s.
thank you girls! =)
I definitely will make an appointment with a family doc.... see what happens.

I am not against c's... in fact, I absolutely loved mine! the birth of my daughter was not traumatic AT ALL, and was the most beautiful experience I've ever had.
I am not up for a large family... I just think 2 (maybe even 3... but that is pushing it) would be perfect for us. So, I am not too overly concerned about that... the only thing that kinda made me think was the question posted below and when I thought... was like 'uh oh... I wonder if there's a risk'... which, yeah, there is... but... I'll just stop my train in the worries and focus on what's really important... and she's here! =)

Meli!!!!! where have you been amiga!!!!! how are both mommy and Pari doing??? she is absolutely ADORABLE! =) how's papi doing with his little princess?? is he going nuts?? =))

vane all good here.. papi has pari wrapped around his finger haha... he does EVERYTHING for her and wont let her cry for a minute!  haha how are you doing?  I went back to work 3 weeks ago :(  but pari is a home with papi...  I always see madi's pic on the intro page she is so cute with her bright eyes

alikat- my v bac was so great I was a little worried but kaiser always offers v bac for patients that meet the requirements of previous c section.  it was great and I was so glad to avoid another c...

meli

i am happy for you but crazy jealous too.
alikat;  I was very worried and was ready to have another c at any sign of problems.. did not want any meds or even for them to break my water.  I was worried about a rupture.  It had been 6 years since my c and I had a natural before that one.  my c was because my dd had a face presentation which only occurs in .5 thats right point 5 % of pg...  so I was I guess already stretched out down there from her ahhahaha
it was 7 years from my first c/s to my rupture/vbac.  i had gotten to a 4 in my prior labor.  i got to 9.5 in my second.  it still *****.