Maternal & Child Community
So tired when pregnant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

So tired when pregnant

Hi everyone. I am about 29 weeks pregnant and am so tired that I ave been falling a sleep at work. I get anywhere from 6 1/2 to 8 hours of sleep per night (minus the 5 times I use the restroom) but I always feel drained. I am already on IRON pills because my iron was low but dont know what else could cause this. Anyone have any ides of why i fell this way?
I was extremely tired with my first child.  My 2nd one I wasn't.

My hormones were all crazy being pregnant and all, and that's why my doctor said I was sooo tired all the time.  I also had to take Iron pills, he told me to eat lots of meat too.  

I don't know what to tell you besides making sure you get 8 hrs of sleep instead of 6 1/2 hrs of sleep.  Take it easy, and let your body do what it needs too.
With my first pg I was seeping 13 hours a night.  And I was working full time.  Not much of a life.  There isnt much you can do for it but sleep.  Is it possible for yuo to nap at work - do you have an office or lounge where you can put your feet up for a few minutes?  Sometimes even 20 min makes all the difference in teh world, also if you take public transportation to work, dont read or listen to music, try to sleep.  Good luck and sweet dreams!!
even 8 hours is not enough for the hard job your body is doing right now. Try really hard to get 10 hours, and maybe you can even cat-nap on your lunch break. It is normal to be tired, but you just aren't giving yourself enough time to sleep.
How is your BP?  My last pregnancy I was extremely tired.  I thought well after the 13 week mark I would feel better.  It never happen.  I was so exhauted.  By the about 30 weeks it was a chore for me to walk to the kitchen and I would have to take a break while taking a shower I would get so tired and out of breath.  I complain to the dr that my BP at home was running 169/90 and sometimes even higher.  (She had me check my BP 3 times a day)  But whenever the Medical Assistant took my BP it was always 130/70.  Well the Dr never check my BP.  Then 2 weeks later she wasn't able to be at my appt. and the Nurse Patrintioner(msp sorry) was there and ask why are your shoes untied I said because my feet are so swollen I can't tie them.  She took my BP it was 200/110.  Funny thing was just 1/2 hour before the MA got 130/70.  Long story shorten I gave birth at 32 weeks and spent 5 days in CCU on a vent due to me lossing the ability to breath on my own which I had Pulmonary edema, Congestive Heart Failure, HEELP Syndrome,I had to have 2 units of blood; Severve Preeclampsia, my protein spillish was 19 they did the 24 hour urine test twice just to verify.  This cause me to start going into kidney failure.  What happen to me is rare to be so severe but I know that being tired is normal part of being pregnant if it gets so bad that you have trouble walking because you can't breath then there might be a problem.

Does not sound like the MA new how to take an accurate BP reading. Glad to see you are now fine...
Yeah she didn't and actually ever since then a nurse has taken my BP I just hope that is an office policy now.  Also I see it is happening more too.  My sister-in-law who goes to a different Dr had the same problem.  She told the Dr I don't think your assistance knows how to take a BP.  He responsed If she didn't then I wouldn't have hired her.  She too ended up with Preeclampsia and it was found until she saw a different Dr in the same practice.  Her protein was up to 5.  That Dr sent her to the hospital to deliver.  She was only 2 weeks early.
I'm almost 28 weeks and I'm the same way! My iron was fine, so I know that isn't it and I don't work now, I'm at home so I sleep a good amount of hours at night and also nap. Let me tell ya...it dosen't matter! I'm still tired after that. Dr's say because of the growing uterus in these last weeks and everything else that's going on your body goes back to how you felt in the frist trimester :/ that stinks! But atleast we will be used to it when the babies get here ;) All those sleepness nights, we will be tired the next day. I told my Mom the the 10 times of peeing at night, and the up and down with heartburn, and the need a midnight snack are just putting us in practice for when the baby gets here LOL! Good luck to you!
In case your blood sugar is low through the day, make sure you are eating lots of light meals or snacks through the day.  I found that fruit, especially citrus, or crunchy veggies like carrots tended to wake me up the fastest.  And when I was really tired, I would have a glass of apple juice and go for a walk around the outside of the building.  The fresh air and the sugar really help.  I also agree with previous posters that getting more sleep and trying to get in a nap or at least a rest will help the most...

Good luck!
I just found out that I'm pregnant, took 4 pregnancy test and have an appt Wed to OB/GYN.  I'm so sleepy, bloated, tired, nauseaus, been vomitting, I'm also 40, is this normal?
I am 16 weeks and 2 days and all I want to do is sleep.  I too sleep about 8 hours a day and work a full time job.  It is an hour one way to my job and by the time I get there, I'm exhausted.  I am not going to do anything this weekend, other than sleep!!! lol!!!
i feel everyones pain... this is my 2nd child and i want to sleep all the time. i usually get 8- 10 hrs of sleep but i can never seem to feel rejuvenated. now im starting to work regular hours and because i am in the army work never ends. to top it off i hve a 6 yr old boy and my husband who expects me to do everything and be super mom/wife.
I'm almost 29 weeks but everytime get measured    i measure 2 weeks more, I feel absoloubtly shattered at min! Thought it was due to me moving house recently. I feel like toppling over half the time but know I suffer with low blood pressure but no one seems to do anything to help me, just say we like you to have low blood pressure, it's good for us not for you?!! O saw my midwife yest my first bp reading for dia was 36!!! I nearly fell off my chair when I saw that! Can't remember sys Reading cus I was that shocked by the 36!! Took it again then was slightly under. Prob is norm to feel tired but my god I'm used to tiredness this is something else, waiting on my iron results!
Am 29 weeks today and been feeling more tired than usual I don't sleep during the as I live with my mum who is house bound at the moment  so I have to make lots of trips to shops as well as getting my own stuff in it feels like the first trimster will it get any easier as this is first baby ?
I'm 28 weeks and 3 days pregnant and threw out my whole pregnancy I’ve had my moments were I get tired easy and then days I just feel energized, but lately it's been hitting me more that I get tired easy. I'm guessing this is because were getting closer to the end and our bodies will take the best out of us at this point.