Maternal & Child Community
So worried: 2 week old not pooping!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

So worried: 2 week old not pooping!

My 16-day old baby hasn't pooped in 6 days.  Before that it was about 5 days.  I still haven't seen any yellow poop; the last batch was still brown.  My pediatrician says just keep nursing as much as possible, and he didn't seem too concerned.  She'd lost a lot of her birth weight too: down to 8 lbs from 9lbs 5oz.  I've been agressively feeding her every 2-3 hours since her last weighing, even though I have to struggle for up to 1/2 hour sometimes to wake her up .  She's eating 9-12 times a day and suckling well, and I'm pumping and giving her that too.  She's started gaining again: 2 oz in 3 days but still not pooping!  He said he wouldn't recommend a laxative, suppository or enema, and to just keep feeding her.  It's hard not to freak out when all the books say "3-5 poops a day"--- I'd settle for 3-5 a week!  Apparently I did a similar thing as a newborn, but mom can't remember what solved the problem.  I'm about to faint from lack of sleep: waking her for 30 minutes, feeding for 30 minutes, putting her back to sleep (that's another problem itself) forever and then pumping when I have the time before the next feeding.  Help!
Have you tried putting a thermometer in her?
I know of a few moms who have done that...sometimes it just needs a little help.
BUT...don't do it too far...

Also...sometimes breastfed babies don't poop as often. I nursed my dd for 10 months and at about 6 months she didn't poop for 3 days and i was concerned as well. The nurse told me not to worry as that is common in breastfed babies....she pooped on the 4th day....and i was thrilled to change that diaper!
that just doesnt sound right. 6 days? i know in the hospital, they dont let patients go past 3-4 days without some kinda help. of course it could be that i am use to working with mostly adults, not newborns. i would keep on your ped.
My son had the same problem and his peditrican said they can poop as little as once a week. He said the only time its a concern is if it comes out hard then that means they are constipated. Hope this helps! Good luck!
My friend has a bub who is 4 months now and he is breast fed. He only poops about once a week. She was worried too and was told it can be quite normal for breast fed babies as there is less waste.
That's odd to hear this.. Lilith is soley breastfed... and with every diaper there is a skid mark... and daily up to 8 bm's.....hmmmm maybe something is wrong with her...
Yup, I thought the same. Brody is breastfed only and has at least a skid in every diaper and lots of BM's. That early on, there was one with every diaper. I'm talking 10 a day! Not only that, but breastmilk is a natural laxative. I guess I would worry if it was my baby, too! I would bring her in. Better to be safe than sorry. What if she has a blockage or something?
Bring the baby in, but try not to fret. I have exclusively nursed 3 babies and not one had the same bowel pattern as another. With my first two they had poop (not streaks) 10-12 times a day, but with Clayton he goes 4+ days between BM's. Breastmilk is highly digestable, often leaving little to poo out. Poopy diapers are less important than wet diapers.

Is your baby jaundice? Sometimes that can cause extreme sleepiness and bowel issues. My youngest had jaundice issues and until I was able to get him through them we struggled.
I would also add that your baby may need to eat more often, none of mine ever went 2-3 hours between feedings during the first few months. Putting baby to breast is much mroe effecient than pumping, so go that route if possible to get your supply established. If baby is sleepy, tickle their feet, lightly touch their face/cheek/chin, change their diaper, etc.

My babies all pooped constantly.  geesh, Nadia is like a 9 pound poop machine.

Does your wee one have any other symptoms?  Is the baby alert?  Is the babuy sleeping well?  Is the tummy distended?

If no poop is the only symptom, it may just be normal for your baby.  However, you are the mummy, go with your gut, if you think something is wrong take the baby in, don't be put off by a doc.
Thanks ladies.  She finally pooped last night!  I was asleep but DH said it was a massive blowout.  She seemed much happier afterwards (although she still won't fall asleep in her crib from 1 am to 6 am... guess that's the next issue to deal with.)  She was jaundiced, but is getting better.  She pees a lot so I'm not worried about her being dehydrated.  It's usually a struggle to wake her up, but then she gets into hungry mode where she wants to eat and eat and eat.  I pump in the morning when my supply is high because by evening she wants more than I can give.  We're going back to the doctor today so hopefully she's gained some weight.  I'm as nervous as if it's a final exam I've been studying for non-stop for a week!  Thanks again.
That is what CJ does, even still at nearly a year old, goes for days without pooping and then blows out his diaper.

Glad to know she pooped.
Only mums would get excited about a big pile of poop.

Glad to hear she is okay.
Yay for poop! It wasn't too long ago that I was praying for poop. Oh, the simple things (: Glad to hear she had a massive blowout ;D