Maternal & Child Community
Some questions

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Some questions

Let me start off with saying this.  I know that 99.99% of vaccines for children are good, safe, and extremely important.  That being said, my 2 daughters are fully vaccinated.  However, I have a major question about the Hep vaccine they give newborns.  My daughter, who is now 9, had the Hep vaccine, and within 10 days she was admitted to the hospital with Viral Meningitis.  I almost lost her when she was 6 weeks old because of this vaccine.  I am very worried about allowing this baby to have that same vaccine.  What has other people experienced?

Circumcision is another question I have (sorry if TMI).  My fiancee' wants to have this done to our son, if it is a boy, and I'm not so sure I agree with it.  I've heard all kinds of things about the procedure and how much it hurts the little guys.  I have had daughters only, so I'm worried I won't know how to take care of a boy as it is, let alone having to care for a circumcision.  I have dated one guy who didn't have this done and he was healthy and had no complications of not being circumcised, but my fiancee' is demanding that it is better for him in the long run.  My questions is this.... Don't they need that foreskin?  Doesn't taking it away seem like mutilation?  Doesn't the removal take away some of their feeling later in life during sex?
Labor and Delivery... Epidurals.  I have heard so many woman who loved theirs, that it made them have an easier labor.  However with both of my daughters I didn't have this, only Demoral, and I had horrible back labor.  I have heard that women have to sign a waiver on this because it can cause back problems and even make them unable to walk later because of damage to the spine.  I have sciotica, which is a damaged disk that presses on one of my major nerves in my back giving me pain.  The last spinal tap I had was so painful even afterwards, I'm worried I will have the same problem with an Epidural.  What has been the experiences of others?
Immortal - I only have a comment on your first question - is there anything besides the timing of your baby's viral meningitis that makes your suspect the HepB vaccine was responsible for her illness?

This is news to me,  I didn't think there was a problem with transmitting viral meningitis on the HEP B.  

Best wishes.
To answer your question about circumcision, I believe it is a personal choice (or religious obligation for others). That said, if you're worried about the pain your son may suffer, I wouldn't let that stop you from going through with circumcision. Jewish boys are circumcised at 8 days old for thousands of years without any anasthetic. When the procedure is complete, they are given but a little drop of wine and that's about it. If your son is to be circumcised in the hospital, he would more than likely have a penile block and feel no pain.
i somewhat have a comment for the circumcision. my bf would want it done as well if we havea son-in a way it's sad but on the other hand if the child needs to get it done later one, say 5 yrs old-he will remember that or for example like my bf's friend he was 17 at the time. Versus having a baby-they kind of won't remember the pain as they grow older-my bf sure doesnt and he was circumcized so.. i don't know if this sorta helps-i am in the 50/50 if it's a boy but it's scary because babies go though so much and if you add that pain onto them it just hurts our little hearts if they are in such terrible pain.
i am hoping for a girl so i can avoid the circumcision question. i always assumed it was the norm to get it done. DH does not want it done. he says that as long as it's properly cleaned, there is no increased risk for infections. he's never had a problem. as for it being common, i think it's becoming more common to not have it done than in the past. in my experiences, each year i have had one or 2 in my class that was not circumcized (so that's 1 or 2 out of approx 7 boys not circumcized.)
Well, my parents are English, I was born there but raised mostly all over America. My dad isn't circumcized and my parents refused to let the American doc circumsize my brother. I believe it's common in England not to. I don't think there's anything problematic with not having it done. Of course my husband wants it done to our son if we should ever have one. He maintains the penis is more suceptible to fungus infections and other maladies, but I reckon if men clean their man-bits thouroughly they shouldn't have to worry about it! lol.. anyway,I did read that it does impede sensation to some degree but you'd have to get the real scoop from a man who has had it done later in life. But it's a personal choice.not a health one, i think.
I don't know anything about the Hep B shot.  My DD had her first one in the hospital and is 6 months old now and has never had a problem with any of her vaccines, sorry I have no more info on this.
As far as the circum. goes... well, it's a personal choice really.  IMO, if you don't do it now, while he's
still too young to remember the pain, it will probably hurt you more especially if they do it in a hospital.  If he gets older and becomes body conscious beacuse it's still the social norm to have it done, he might choose to get it done and it will be a much harder procedure.  Now, I know that I've read a lot of things that say it's no longer done purely for medical reasons and that in fact, they've ruled out a lot of the medical reasons they've given for having it done in years before saying that if you're clean it will be pretty much infection free.  So again, as a mom, it's kind of up to you.  If I had a son, I would do it to avoid any discrimination he might be under when he's older and in front of other boys and women thereafter, but that's me.
Now as for the epi.... I have 3 herniated discs and I had demerol AND the epi (well I had 3 epis) and I tell you the only pain I felt during labor after it finally kicked in was when it wore off but I got another in time and when I pushed I only felt pressure.  I also had an episiotomy and I felt nothing so my vote is go for the epi!!!
Good luck!
we're jewish so the circumcision wasn't optional, we just had it done. however if you're worried about the pain, i wouldnt let that contibute to your decision. we had it done when both  boys were maybe 12 hours old.. they sucked on a nipple with sugar water in it and didnt cry once. caring for it afterwards only involves using an ointment with each diaper change.
The doctors at the hospital stated that they felt it was a "bad batch" of the HepB shot.  That the timing was correct, she got ill 9 days exactly afterwards and then was hospitalized on the 10th, for 2 weeks.  It was one of the most terrifying experiences I ever had.  Watching my 6 week old baby go through spinal taps, and having all those tubes and IV wires and heart monitors hooked up to her.
Hi!  My 4 oldest kids were completely vaccinated with seemingly no problems.  However my 5th was the only one to have the HepB in the hospital.  At two weeks old, he developed "blocked tear ducts" and a little cough.  By 5 weeks old he had to be hospitalized for bronchitis which the dr said was caused by a virus, resembling RSV (he tested neg for that so they didnt know what virus he had.)  I suspected the shot bc none of my other newborns went through this, so I started researching on the web and so did my mom.  My mom worked in county health dep. so whe was all for shots, until she discovered other babies who were reacting this way to their first dose of this particular shot were DYING from the second dose.

We decided not to have him vaccinated.  Got alot of judgement from the dr.  Made to sign some bullsh*t paper that made me sound like I was intentionally harming my child.  I only signed after adding that I also realize allowing him to have these shots is harming him.

His eyes cleared up at 11 mos. and 13 mos.  At 10 mo.  My Dh and I decided that since he was more likely to contract tetenus, we would try getting him the dTap series.  What do ya know?  He got sick again, but did not have to be hospitalized.  In the meantime, we will never have any of our children get another shot, bc there are harmful ingredients in them.  I requested the manufacturers inserts to all of the vaccines, and looked up the ingredients on the internet.  
*Chicken embryo cells*  (we had stopped eating most dairy and eggs)
*monkey kidney cells*
*formeldahyde*
*ABORTED FETAL TISSUE*

There are theories about this that I have that I will not go into, but notice this...
Hep A in spinach... All kids required to get Hep A shot.
Now salmonella in Peanut butter... I bet they will require this next.

Oh- as for the other children, they were all on allergy meds, had frequent ear infections even though they were all breastfed, among other sicknesses, and since no dairy or shots, all have remained well.  One kid sick in the last 12 months!  Not on allergy meds anymore.  I read in my search that the "protectiveness" of the vaccines wears off within 7 years or so, and I think maybe the neg. effects could too.  Sorry this is so long, but I have had alot of trouble and arguments with dr. who disagrees with our decision.