Maternal & Child Community
Son still has fever going on 4 days

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Son still has fever going on 4 days

My son has had a fever 0f 101-102.5 since Thu. night. I have been giving him Tylenol 1.2ml since he is 18lbs now. He is 8 months. I called Kaiser advice 3 times before they finally got me an appointment only to tell me look to see if he is catching a cold or stomach virus. It kind of pissed me off becuase my son fever is still not going down. My mom says teething but shouldn't the fever break in a day or so not continue to be at a steady temp? Please help me with some ways to break his fever. The doctor told me if he still has it after five days bring him back and they will look for further uncommon issues.
it could be teathing or if he had just got his shots(first time mom i dont know how often they get them yet) but i hope he is fine. be carefull with how often you give him the tylenol my sil kept giving her son tylenol and after a while it didnt help at all where his body became use to it. but she was doing it too much. like every 2-3hours for a couple of weeks straight. good luck for real though, my baby dr said as long as it didnt get over 103 it should be fine and as long as it didnt last more than a week, but she had just gottin her shots in her legs.
He could use some motrin for fever above 102, and the tylenol seems too low. Check with the pharmacist for correct dosage. This may help get the fever down. Also, make sure that he is getting enough fluids into him as babies can dehydrate quickly. Best wishes.
Does he have any other symtoms (symptoms) besides the fever?  Has he recently been on any medications?  My 18 month old and 7 month old both started with a low grade fever like that and they they spiked fevers of 104+ after a few days.  I took them to my Dr. and it turned out both of them had pneumonia.  Then my oldest got a yeast infection and after 7+ days of medicine for that he got a fever in the same range as your son.  They told me to bring him in right away and they did some extensive blood work on him that we are still waiting to get the results back from.  My Dr. told me that a fever in the 101-102.5 range is not teething.  After two days of low grade fevers they went away but he is still not acting himself.  They told us to keep him cool.  Give him cool/warm baths and to give him plenty of liquids.  Whatever he will drink.  If your son is still running a fever tomorrow I would definitely bring him in to see the Dr.  Some Dr.'s can't be bothered with this stuff but you need to be persistent in order to find out what is wrong.  Good Luck, I hope he feels better