Maternal & Child Community
Sonogram and Heartbeat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Sonogram and Heartbeat

At how many weeks can you see the heartbeat on a regular sonogram? (not an internal sonogram).  I'm sure my doctor will do a sonogram on August 17th and I will be 8W3D and I was wondering if they will be able to see the heartbeat then.
Avatar n tn
I had to go the hosp. when I was 6 weeks for bad cramp on left side. The U/S machine there is very strong. When the tech put the probe on my belly she said It is not ectopic & I see a heartbeat. She then did a Vag. to get the heartrate (145 BPM)
You should be able to see it. I saw a hb at 6w 4d with the u/s machine at my dr's office.
Avatar n tn
Is it possible to see a hb at 5 weeks 4 days??? My OB scheduled me for an u/s b/c of my last m/c to make sure this is a viable pregnancy.
Avatar n tn
i saw my baby's heartbeat at 7weeks 6days at 158bpm
Avatar n tn
I was able to hear my baby's heartbeat at 5 weeks 4 days!  It was a transvaginal.
It depends on how accurately the pregnancy is timed to what really happened in your body.  5 weeks 4 days (timed from first day of last period) is just about precisely when the embryo's heart starts to beat in the first place.  If the baby was conceived a couple of days later than the standard measurements assume, then the heart won't have started up yet.  Hope you see it!
Avatar n tn
I went in for an U/S at 6w3d.  We are certain of pg week due to insemination/ovulation.  I was being monitored.  So, I was hoping to see the fetal pole and heartbeat because from everywhere that I have read, by now that should be present.  But nothing.  Just saw the getstation sac and yolk sac.  At 5wk3d we only saw the gestational sac.  I'm hoping I just have a slow developer.  I go in for another u/s tomorrow at 6w6d and I really hope it's there. I'll be devasted if it's not.  It took us 1.5 years and a surgery to get pg.  Grow little bean grow.

Julie