Maternal & Child Community
Son's soft spot closed to early

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Son's soft spot closed to early

Just wondering if anyone has their baby's soft spot close to early?  My son is 11 weeks and last week we went to the ped. and took xrays and they show that the soft spot on top is closing way to fast. We go to the neurosurgeon this month but seems like a life time away.  Has anyone had to have surgery to correct the problem and was the out come okay?  If anyone can shed some light for me I would really appericate it.  Thanks
I always took it as that meant something in the brain or skull  was developing. I too thought that its not suppose to "close" for almost a year. (completely) I didnt notcie it after awhile but was told it was still there. Good question tho and it will be intersting to see what the answers are.
gosh that is early, i only found out a couple of weeks ago that a babys fontanelle does not close completely until they are around 18 months old! my ds had his head measured at a year and the health visitor was concerned as it seemed smaller than average, my ds has hit all his milestones though and i didnt feel overly concerned, i had his head re-measured a month later and it had grown a cm in one month, the health visitor checked his soft spot and said it isnt fully closed yet there is still a small part that is open allowing for his head to grow some more. i hope you can get some answers on this for yours and babys sake!

good luck, let us know how it goes!
They may be talking about craniosynostosis.  This is the premature closure of the sutures of the skull.  Here's a link where you can get some info.  A good place to start, anyway.  Best of luck.

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/craniosynostosis/craniosynostosis.htm
Thanks for the comments.  I will post once I've gone to the doctor.  Everything will be fine.  I just have to keep telling myself.  
This happened to my brother in law. He had to have surgery to re-open it, but it didn't close back up on it's own like they said it would. He had to have a lot more surgeries to fix it (back in the 70's and 80's). Make sure that you get a well-credentialed specialist. See if you can get recommendations from other parents that have been through the same thing.
The reason they have to open it is to make room for the brain to grow. Otherwise brain damage will result. I personally would be in a big rush to see the specialist. Call and see if they can squeeze you in sooner if they get a cancellation. I wonder if they can put some kind of a spacer in there like dentists do, to keep the space open.
It's called craniostenois (sp?).  My friend's baby just had surgery to correct it October 2nd.  She's doing great now.  
Just a note to let you know.  My son was found to have this problem the day he was born.  We had never heard of this problem, and our doctor had never seen it.  He sent us to wonderful Neurosurgeon. He in turn agreed that  the Neurosurgeon  in our  Home City was  very capable of the surgery.  Our son had the surgery and I am proud to say. He is 29 years old, and he and his wife are expecting their first Child.     I can tell you.  The only problem we  know that he had, was he is near sighted in one eye.   But then again the whole family wears  glasses.   He actually, is the only one that does not.   He also hopes not to loose his hair, because there is a scar running from front to back, but he is  so happy to have it.  It is not noticed except if he went bald.  I will say the scar is but a small price to pay for a healthy life.   He grew up as any normal child.  And no one  saw a difference  in him, because there was none after surgery, except as I said a scar.   The beautiful baby boy had no learning problems or health problems  after the surgery.   I do hope this helps .     Also, you may ask if there are any parents in the area , such as a support group.   They as I may have  older children or you never know may be a adult that had the surgery, such as my son did.
Note that this is from an old post.  Also, be careful, this popped up to the top of the forum last year when my daughter was 6 months old.  I read everything on here, so I read it and immediately felt my daughters head and didnt feel her soft spot. I could remember seeing my sons pulse at his soft spot, and couldnt see it with my daughter.
I FREAKED OUT. 100 %.  I was on the phone with Childrens Hospital (it was a Sunday) and had her at the Dr first thing Monday morning.  Our doctor said hers was fine, wasnt as pronounced as some, but definitely there and fine.   My point is, to be careful in reading posts like this unless your child has been diagnosed, I am guilty of self-diagnosing and I over-worry.  The Drs are trained for what they need to fell and see. Normally it is very evident in babies with this because it cause the growth of the face and features to not be symmetrical.