Maternal & Child Community
Sore breasts after weaning? Normal?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Sore breasts after weaning? Normal?

So My dd officially weaned herself about 2 weeks ago. :( I am dealing with much better. I got my second PP period about a week after that. My breasts have been really sore and tender for a couple of days. So much that it hurts to sleep on them. I sometimes get that right before my period, but never right after, so this is strange. No, I can't be pregnant, I just finished my period and am BC ;) I thought it may have something to do with weaning? I didn't have this the first time I weaned my dd. I still have a little bit of milk, but it has really dried up. I'm not sure...I am guessing it is hormonally related? Has anyone else experienced this? What can I do to get it to go away? Just hot pads? Thanks!
I actually remember my breasts being sore for about a week or two after I weaned my first dd.  I just dealt with it with warm showers and some motrin when needed.  I've heard cabbage leaves in your bra is supposed to help to, but I never tried that.  That may help.  If it doesn't let up though soon, you might want to have your doctor check it out just to make sure there is nothing else going on.  I'm sure mine was a combo of weaning and hormones.  I don't know what it will be like with my 1 year old.  She won't even try to wean!  I think I'm in big trouble with her lol!
Enjoy it! I had a really hard time with my 8 month old weaning herself....Now she is all done and I am left with saggy aching boobs, lol! I will try those things if the pain doesn't let up...
Bop's I was the same when Sam was done. I actually ended pumping a couple of times that first week, only got an ounce or two but it made me much more comfortable. If it's really sore try some ibuprofen.
Hi I funny I saw your posting and I am going thru the same thing I just weaned my dd as of last night and yes my boobs were sore this morning but I am going to pump a few minutes each morning for the next week hoping my body will decide to stop producing milk and they will not be as sore, the stressful part  is I have not had a period since I got pregnant with Ava ( she turned one on August 3rd) so I am kind of nervous not knowing how bad my first perioid will be... ( it has been nice not having one LOL) I will also probably end of more flat chested than I was before Ava!!
You should use ice like a bag of frozen peas and take ibuprofen for pain and swelling. Do NOT use heat it will make it worse. It should be over soon When my dd weaned it lasted about 2 weeks.
warning.. don't use a bag of frozen anything that you plan on eating.. ahaha.. I just went through this as my 3 1/2 month old just lost interest! I took hot showers and squeezed the milk out and wore a size smaller bra so they wouldn't have any room to make more milk.. not sure if that is recommended but it worked for me.