Maternal & Child Community
Spicy Food when pregnant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Spicy Food when pregnant

My sister is pregnant and she LOVES spicy Food. When I say Love I mean she cakes tobasco sauce on EVERYTHING she eats. She loves jalepenos, ya know, ANYTHING and EVERYTHING hot. We were just wondering if it is ok to eat that stuff while pregnant. She doesn't want to eat it and hurt the baby or anything. Thanks for any comments beforehand!
Tags: food, maternal
I eat a lot of spicy food as well and I am 28 week pregnant.  As long as it doesn't bother her, I think she is fine.
I love spicy food too...my Dr didn't say anything about not eating it so I guess it's okay. She might want to check with her Dr.
Spicy food is my enemy at this point.. haha.. I am 20 weeks pregnant and i used to loooove to eat spicy food.  It still tastes really good to me so EATING it is no problem... My problem is DIGESTING it. haha.  I had a spicy chicken burrito the other day and i thought there was a fire in my intestines the next day.

so i say as long as your sister can tolerate it fine then she will have no problems from eating spicy food.. :-)
I love spicy food as well. I always keep a bottle of extra strength tums in my purse, plus there are sample packets all around my house.
I was looking for you the other day regarding your question about how far I was when they said boy. I was 16 weeks and whatever the nurse showed me on the US, was looking so like the boy tool, only about 40 weeks and not 16. If you look at your maternity book, it is barrely formed around 16 weeks, so I figured she had no idea. I am going with the specialist who said girl and never been wrong. Also, my Dr. checked for me last Friday as well and did not see any boy tools either. But, will not denie-I am worried!
thanks so much!! at least i know that there is a slight chance of this baby being a girl.  I want a baby girl so bad for my first child but will definately be blessed just as much with a boy.  I am scared out of my witts to have a boy.  I dont have any experience with baby boys AT ALL!!  i hear they are easier than girls but i have 19+ years with girls.  My baby sister is 19 now and i watched her grow.  My niece turns 7 today and i have helped with her since she was 3 days old.  Girls come naturally to me.  i have no idea about boys.. i dreamt last night that it was a boy.. I just cant wait to know FOR SURE!! EEK.. thanks!!
spicy food is fine. when my friend and i were pg at the same time we went to mexican food and ate so much hot hot salsa that we were convinced we were in labor that night with stomach cramps. might hurt mommy but not baby
I love spicy stuff too.  i would put jalapenos on everything if I could.  I LOVE THEM!  I would say as long as she doesnt get heartburn then its ok to eat it.  There are only a couple things my dr. said to stay away from.
SO, why do you think you may have a boy? Also, I belkieve the complete opposite. Girls may be harder at the beggining, but I am convinced that boys have much mre energy then girls. My sis. has 3 boys and I would have to shoot myself if I would have to put up with them. My DD is 7 and she is just so good. She helps me so much, we like to do the same activities...so, go figure. How far are you?
I always thought boys were harder at the beginning.  My son took a lot of getting used to when changing him, plus the circumcision, but I would agree and say he is much easier now than my niece was at his age, and way less attitude.  Little boys are great, no matter what you have it will be great!
What things did you Dr tell you not to eat?
just like you at 16 weeks my midwife did an u/s for fun and we thought we saw boy parts.  mainly a penis.. but like you said.. if it was a penis then it is halfway down his thigh.. haha.  I have a feeling its a boy but not based on the ultra sound.  I just want to know for sure!!  I am 20 weeks+2days.  I have my ultrasound on tuesday evening.  THis u/s machine is way more clear then the one i had my 16 week done on.  If they tell me i am having a girl i will fall off the table.. haha.  There are so many cute girly things... anyway.. either way i will be excited.. with a girl i will be relieved..hahaha
one word....HEARTBURN!!!!  Lol.  But, i've been cravign Mexican food a lot during this pg.  And To add to it...I've been wanting the HOT stuff.  I asked for hotter salsa the one day and i think my DH almost fell off his chair!  I'm not a big spicy food eater...but for some reason, i am now that i'm pg!  lol.  But as far as i know...the only thing it hurts is YOU with all the heartburn and indigestion...and if you're not cursed with these things...then eat away an more power to you!
OH HOW CUTE!!! LOL!!
Dear, I am from Mexico! eat a lot of chiles, jalapenos, tabasco and many other hots you probably don't have a clue they exist!!!
Do you think that if spicy food would affect pg women Mexico would have 22,000,000 people JUST in the city of Mexico City????

No dear, it does not affect. In fact, natural salsa or peppers have a lot of vitamins and minerals, and properties to help your body process toxins.

Good luck!!
What stuff did your dr say to stay away from??
They told me that I could only have one can of tuna a week, because of all the mercury. Only turkey breast and ham for lunchmeat (the rest has been processed too much) oh and hot dogs, and I think that is all.  I cant really remember!  Hope this helps you some.
Did you Dr say anything about chemicals in the hair like perm solution?
Glad to see I am not the only one. I think I get so greay b/c I am nervous about EVERYTHING! As you can imagine having a M/C helped out SO MUCH! LOL My poor DH is ready to kill me B/c Every twinge I think something is wrong. I am just happt to see I am not the only one who, no matter what the studies say, is afraid to color my hair. Thank you for being in the same boat!
your post confused me... only 1 can of tuna a week.. ok.. but to STAY AWAY from ham and turkey?? or you can only eat ham and turkey...

i have lived off of turkey this pregnancy.. hm..
You silly girl, you can have ham and turkey as the rest of it is way too processed.  how the heck are ya BTW?  I havent talked to you in like FOREVER...dontcha like me anymore...LOL!!!
I am not sure about the perm solution, But I know you can have your hair colored & hilited through your pregnancy. i chose to wait until my 1st trimester was over just b/c I am a wacko & worry about everything. So Now I can Finally hide these ugly greys! Yes, I am only 33 & have grey! Although by some peoples opinion on medhelp lately 33 is quite OLD!LOL!
you know what is good even if your not pg? i LOVE cottage cheese and jalepenos. mmmmmmmmmmm
Thanks for the info.  Yea I atleast planned on waiting until the 1st trimester was over.  But I may not even do it at all.
I'll have to try that!!  I also like them with cream cheese!  OH...and here's one...a friend's mother made it for me in high school.  I was reluctant to try it at first...but it was good!  Ritz cracker, with a dollop of cream cheese and a jalopeno on top!  Oh and Cottage cheese with chopped bananna peppers!  And the bananna pepper is good with the ritz and cream cheese too!  lol.  Now i know i sound pg.  But the sad thing is..i ate that stuff BEFORE i got pg.  lol.
Don't feel bad about those grays, I have them too and I can't wait to touch up my hair, but am still a bit of a spazz too after the last m/c.  I started to get gray hair in college, mostly from stress and I was not even 21!  At 29 I do need to cover them up since I'm a brunette, I've found highlighting to be my best friend.  My mom was almost completely gray by 30, so I just got bad hair genes, hope I don't pass that on.  Don't worry about us being old, I guess it's all downhill from mid 20's on from what I read too!  (Just kidding!  Although I feel like a little old lady today with all of my aches.)
I dont really know much about perm solutions.  I didnt ask.  but at my next appt. I plan on asking about highlihgting my hair.  Hopefully that is not a problem.  Wish I could help!
Cottage cheese and pinapple, now that is good, I need some. lol.  I have heard that hotdogs and bologna, can cause miscarriages, I don't know if that is true or not. But I hope not though i just ate two hotdogs tonight, it does seemed a little far fetched, I bet alot of those moms out there eat lot of hotdogs if you have little ones.  But that is something i heard.
I waited to color my hair until 12 wks. I know they say the first trimester is 13 or 14 wks but I couldnt take the gray. Im used to coloring every 4wks.

I hear ya on some of those threads on being an old lady... Im 40 so I guess I have one leg in the grave and the other on a banana peel! Whatever!!
I'm two feet in I suppose at 43!!
Do you know when & if it's okay to use perm solution? I get my hair chemically straightened, and boy am I in need now!!!

You cracked me up. I remember when I was in highschool Thjinking, If I could have 2 kids by the time I am 25 it would be great. Well guess what, I didn't get married till I was 28 & had my DD 1 week B4 my 30th B day. Now we are expecting # 2 & I am 33. I wouldn't change it for the world. We are finacially stable as to where I am able to be a stay at home Mom & we still have a beautiful house & get to do a lot of things as a family. Boy how things change as you get older! Is this your 1st child?
I am pretty sure in the what to expect when your expecting book it says it is OK for perms/ relaxers. I am not at home so I can't look it up for you but I will check on sun. PM when I go home & let you know!
Thanks so much...I really appreciate your help.
Good for you at 43. If everything is ok with this baby I might try again right away and I will be at same age.

I looked in my what to expect when you're expecting book on perm solutions and it says it is absorbed through the scalp but there is no link found between permanents and birth defects. Due to hormones in your body it may not take at all or make your hair frizzy. I would think using your perm solution would be ok after first trimester, try not to get to close to the roots though. I colored my hair and hairdresser slopped it on and left it on for 30 min. I hope everythings ok.
I totally get it what you're saying about the high school thing. I lived in Buffalo for 30 years where everyone got married early and had all their kids by 25. Thats one of the reasons I left because so much pressure. Although I miss it and visit frequently, it was time for me to leave. This is my first child and Im so excited to be 15wks! I m/c 7 mos ago and it was really difficult. You are so lucky you dont have to work. I only work 30 hrs a week and pretty much do it for my health insurance.

Forgot this thread was about spicy food and Im eating eggs with tabasco right now and loving every bite!
Thanks for the info and encouragement. They are both much appreciated! I hope all goes well for you too!
I am so happy all is well for you. We are now out in Angola/ Lakeshore area so It seems like a world away. I grew up in Depew Cheektowaga though. You are just a bit ahead of me as I am 14 weeks now. Are you going to find out what you are having? How exciting that this is your first. You will not Believe the feelings you will have the first time you hold that baby in your arms! I can't even put into words the emotion of it all!