Maternal & Child Community
Spit up, throw up, over feed... what's the difference?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

So, what is the difference anyway?

What does spit up look like, and what does throw up look like, and how can I tell if the spit up or throw up isn't either but the baby spitting up what she can't eat because she over ate?  

Does that make sense?  She is breast feed and is 1 month old.  

Thanks.
I think at that age its about the same thing. I would worry if she seems to not keep much down/is always hungry. My son had a lot of spit up until he was 12mths old. We found out he had Acid Reflux. Best Wishes!
hi! so, i breastfed my daughter for three months and i'm trying to start up again, but.. you will definately know when she has over eaten. spit up is like just a little bit of throw up with white curdles and stuff in it or it could look just like milk and throw up is A LOT.. my daughter used to over eat when she was breastfed at night because she just wanted to suck i guess and then i would put her to bed and she would literally throw up everything she just ate plus some. so when babys throw up it's pretty much just like when a person throws up a lot comes out except it's all white. hope i was able to help some.
I'm pretty sure that it's spit up. The thing with breast fed babies are they eat more often so it might seem as if they're over eating...but there not. You have nothing to worry about!
I ask because for the past few days, after she has eatten, she spits up (looks like just milk with no stuff in it), so I am thinking she has over eatten.  
yes, it is possible (and I have found it very common) for babies to throw up when over fed....  yes, even breastfed babies.

a newborns stomach can only hold about an ounce or two at a time, if you were to feed a bottle of one ounce, how long would it take? okay, so maybe your baby's stomach can hold 3 ounces or even 4, how long does it take for the little one to drink that from a bottle?  I can guarantee it doesn't take very long.  so, they do not need to breast feed longer than it would take to get the appropriate amount.  the baby will throw up, spit up, or spew out anything that is too much.  stop over feeding and enjoy having a 'spit up free' baby!

(yes, that might include having to stop your baby from over eating - remember if they are over eating or eating too often - it will result in spitting up)

So, you just don't feed a screaming baby? How do i keep her satisfied without overfeeding? My doc says to let her eat as often as she wants.
The recommendation is for your little one to nurse as often as he or she wants. It's impossible for you to tell when she's nursed "enough" if she's breastfed. She'll decide that on her own by detaching and/or drowsing. Removing her from your breast while she's still feeding can cause her to be underfed and can result in problems for you (engorgement/possible mastitis, reduction in milk production, etc).

If she spits up because she overate a little, there's no harm done. Spit up in normal and won't harm her.