Maternal & Child Community
Splenda and upset stomache

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Splenda and upset stomache

Ok, you might have read about me having GD.  I have been looking for some sugar free snacks and got some pops and some cookies.  Well, i ate the pops and was fine.  I ate the cookies and had unbeleivable cramping and was shooting ugly bunnies!!!  I read it was safe to eat splenda pregnant but w/ all this trouble could it be effecting my baby???  I am 32 weeks today!!  I will not be eating any more splenda related foods but just wondered if this has happened to any other moms.
Hi. I know a little bit about sugar free foods because my husband cut out all sugar from his diet too.  It may not be the Splenda that is upsetting your stomach.  A lot of sugar free stuff (especially candy) has Mannitol in it.  This causes major stomach problems in a lot of people and especially children.  I would stay away from any foods with it in it.
My dad is a diabetic...and a sugar lover.  So, he's been doing all the sugar free sweets.  Well, one day he snacked on TONS of sugar free candy without my mom knowing and he had an eruption.  His doctors told him to take it easy on the sugar free sweets because they can cause stomach cramping and diarrhea.  Good luck!  I know it's hard to stay away, but maybe just find out what your body can handle and what it can't. I can't imagine it's hard on your baby in small doses.
I was just diagnosed with GD as well and am testing 4 times a day. My dietician said that we should have no more than 3 servings of any sugar free product a day. She did say splenda was prob. safer than the other artificial sweeteners. So far I haven't had any problems. I did want to ask you how your testing was going. I am following the diet very strictly and walking after meals and at night. So far my levels 2 hrs post meals and fasting have been  low (between 73-104) Mostly they are high 70's to low 90's. Does this sound too low to you? What are yours like?
I had GD with my first pregnancy and asked the dietition if I could eat sugar free products she advised not to as they can have a laxative affect. I still ate sugar free lollys I needed something sweet apart from fruit I only ate a couple a day tho so I wouldnt get an upset tummy and had a healthy baby girl. Good luck GD is a pain in the butt I get tested for it again tomorrow for my current pregnancy and are hoping I dont have it again but if I do at least I know what foods to eat. Take care
Splenda can upset your stomach even if you aren't pregnant. If I have lots of splenda in food I get very bad stomach aches. It's not all it's cracked up to be for some people.