Maternal & Child Community
Spoiled 4 month old???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Spoiled 4 month old???

My daughter is about 4 1/2 months old. She will cry as soon as I lay her down or put her in her bouncy... so ipick her back up and she stops crying immediately as soon as I pick her up.. This is all day .. every day. I have read online that you can not spoil an infant.. but I honestly think Aubree is spoiled.. I mean as soon as we pick her up she is fine and playing and laughing.. I honestly don't know how to break her of this
Sometimes in my opinion you have to let them cry. But at 4 1/2 months that is a little early for her to be doing that. Although I think allie might have a done stuff like that too.
Im sure she will grow out of it! Hunter is the same why but when he wants you to hold him you have to be standing up and he knows when you sit down! LOL How are you?
nolan will be 5 months tomorrow and does this same thing, lol!  it does get better...  she just loves you and wants her mommy!!!  :)
Yeah, I think she just likes to be held and likes the comfort of being close to her mommy and daddy.  Some babies are just higher maintenance than others.  They all have different personalities.  She will grow out of it.  My son is almost 1 and he still cries if I put him down sometimes.
Yes, they will def out gorw it.  Think of it this way, when they turn 2 or older and become more independent, you can hardly squeeze a hug in so enjoy!
thanks ladies!!! It just gets really frustrating at times.. i feel pregnant all over again because she is always attached to me

toni-- hey girl! Im doing pretty good... how about you and your two gorgeous boys?
Good, good! Boys are doing great! Hunter is sure getting big! Ethan just had his b-day over the weekend, they just grow to fast!
I would let her cry it out. Recently my husband read an article that talked about how little children learn to manipulate their parents at as young as 3 months. If there is nothing wrong I would just let her cry. I did that with my son, and he is a perfectly happy, well adjusted 4 year old. Don't get me wrong- I loved to hold my son when he was a baby, and I could spend hours cuddling with him (especially while nursing).
My niece was completely spoiled by her parents and it got to a point where if you went to put her down she would scream, then the second you picked her up she would stop. This has not stopped and she is 18 months now!
I sure wouldn't let a child that young cry it out.  Put her in a sling.  She'll get to the point where riding around with Mommy is not as much fun as doing other things.  Good luck!
They did a study that said if you always pick up your children when they cry the first year that they are more likely to be independent adults since they know that you will always be there for them. Aspen used to do the same thing when she was that age and I'd just strap her in the baby bjorn and do what I needed to do and eventually she would fall asleep. But she loved being close to me and having her with me but she was able to look around was the best. At 10 months now she pretty much crawls around and does her own thing. She'll even go from the living room to the playroom and mess around in there for a long time (I can hear the toys playing music) then she'll come back out and mess around out with me. But still when she gets lonely and wants to be picked up she'll cry and then at those times I'm there for her.
i always carried dd when she wanted me to. i also responded to just about every cry. she learned to trust me and that i would always be there for her. she quickly became a very independent baby.

however, that doesn't mean you can't keep trying to put her down. i would start by not just putting her in the bouncy and leaving her. i would put her down, get on the floor and entertain her. sing songs, do very silly and loud things. it may only last a minute or 2, but the stretches can get longer as she learns it's fun to play. it'll also get much easier when she learns to sit. that was a major turning point for DD because she was able to entertain herself better. Another thing that really helped was the exersaucer. DD loved to be in that so it helped get her used to not being carried around.
I like the Maya wrap sling which leaves your hands free. PLUS, the added benefit is no baby can resist the swaying as you walk and they fall asleep. They just want to be near you. Who would want to sit in a cold lonely chair when you are barely out of that 24 hr / day hug of mommie's womb? We took turns wearing baby. 4 months is very young. When they can stand up and move their arms and play with stuff they ll be less interested in you as comfort and more into entertainment (not til after 6-8 mos. though). Enjoy it while you can.
Get a good baby carrier....(I liked the ergo or moby) so you can get things done while she is being held. She will grow out of it. Some babies like to be held more and longer. Both my kids were cling ons and now I miss holding them.
Hey lady! Just thought I would share my experience with you....Chere`e hated the bouncer I bought her. Just would not stay in it for more than 15 min. I went and bought her this rocking chair like seat and she LOVES it....I took the bouncer to the day care.....lol. Let them deal with it...........ha ha! Maybe you just need to try a different kind of chair/seat.