Maternal & Child Community
Spotting a 6 w d1 Dark Red

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Spotting a 6 w d1 Dark Red

Hi all - I am so annoyed. I woke up at 6 am to a BIG spot on the tissue (dark red).  I put a pad on assuming the worst was happening (I have been doom and gloom since day 1, just scared due to previous mc), and had a little more appear on the pad over the next hour.  Changed pad again and had just a little bit appear again, and a little bit appear on the tissue.  Now it just appears when I wipe, about 5 hours later. An early ultrasound showed two gestational sacs but no HBs yet.  Seriously, how common is it to spot at 6 weeks?  Is it like totally common?  Or is blood always cause for alarm?  Would outdoor exercise cause this from yesterday?  I lost my first twin during my first mc at 6w2d and I am scared history is repeating itself, especially because we did not see HBs at 5w3d (we had sp[otting right after this too for 2 days, really light and a brown color - this was 4 days ago).  MY DH and I are tense as we go through the milestone of the first twin loss (and here we are with twins again), and now there is bleeding right at the same point.  I have NO CRAMPS at all and BBs are still very sore!  Should I just lay around all day?  Anyone think it will go away?  I find great comfort in the words from the ladies here so thank you for any advice and please be honest - I am prepared for the worst.
I spotted from 4 weeks to about 7 weeks. At one point it was dark dark red and clotty. No one could tell me why at the time, but now my doctor thinks it might have been to a "friable cervix".  I was diagnosed with bacterial vaginosis as well, but not until week 11. I am not bleeding anymore and everything is fine. I think bleeding is a lot more common then it is talked about, and not always due to a miscarriage. Good Luck, fingers crossed.
You wanted honestly so here it is. Bleeding and spotting could go either way. For me, the spotting was not good. My entire life I've gone without ever spotting and with my last pg that neded in m/c, I spotted off and on from day one. Mine was caused supposedly from a subchorionic bleed in the uterus (which I'm convinced I caused by over exerting myself cleaning the house). Bleeding and spotting with cramps is definitely not good but without cramps it's 50/50 I think. Best of luck and lets just pray you're in the luck 50!
take it easy as much as you can...let  your ob know whats going on.  i heard spotting can follow anything from an exam, to intercourse.  good luck to you...
Yep, I agree lots of women have some bleeding in early pregnancy. I think that bright red blood is a worse sign than dark red. I don't think it is necessarily a sign of m/c. Best of luck.
Ditto.  Spotting can go either way - it is not necessarily a sign of miscarriage.

And your early scans would be too early to detect a heartbeat.  So hang in there and try and think good thoughts (I know it is easier said than done).  Whatever is going to happen is really out of your control.  I do feel for you and will send you good energies from across the ocean (Sydney in fact!).

Let us know what happens.
Hi everyone, I am so glad I have found this website and hope someone can offer me some advice. I found out that I am pregnant 1 week ago, I think I am about 6-7 weeks, 4 days ago I have started spotting, brown/red but with a little discharge too, it is only when I pass urine that I notice it on the tissue and a miniscule amount in my underwear, I have had no cramps, pain or heavy bleeding and at the moment there have been no clots or fresh blood seen, I am really worried as it is my first pregnancy and don't know what is normal and what isn't? Any comments please are very welcome, thank you.
Hi neraksarrab - My first pregnancy ended in mc and I spotted throughout.  So not to be pessismistic but to me blood = trouble.  That's why my spotting this time has me so down.  But, my spotting actually stopped today, so I am holding my breath it will go ok. I am 6w2d.  My first mc, I had really bad cramps so I think the blood together with the cramps is a bad thing, but blood alone might not be.  I don't know...  I think you should call your doc though and tell them you are spotting.
I am going to see the doctor tomorrow , I know there isn't anything they can do other than to tell me if I am still pregnant or not, I don't think I will sleep tonight am feeling very tearful at the thought of a m/c.  I hope all is well with you and that your baby is fine.  Thanks for your comments.
6 wks today.  Sad, I had cramps last night and dark brown blood, then had a little brown and red today.  I have an ultrasound next Wednesday.  The spotting is only when I have to pass urine also.  My back hurt last night also, which I know is a sign of M/C.  I am still hopeful.  My doctors have not been encouraging from the get go.  Actually, I have only spoken with nurses and receptionists from both the fertility place and reg gyn and they are the dicouraging ones.  I would like to know what the babies heartbeat was the other day.  They said it was low.  If it was below 90bpm then I probably did have a M/C or am about to.  Love and Prayers to all.  I will continue to have faith but it's really sad right now.
Dont give up yet.. also.. if you are experiencing negativity from your dr's please do yourself a favor and switch providers.  when it comes to the health of you and your unborn child, you deserve the best care.. and trust me the good ones are out there.. i am in the process of switching drs because my primary gyno and her staff are idiots.  I was told the day of my D&C that i was squeezed in on her lunch break.  When i called to schedule my post op her office staff asked me if the baby was born... Best of luck to you ..
I also bled from weeks 2 to oh I think it was 8 weeks. Mine was bright red bleeding with clots.  I personally think I was carrying twins and lost one.  I had lots of clots and lots of red bleeding.  The biggest one was when I was constipated and was straining and I sneezed all at the same time and I gushed out blood.  I had also had a backache the entire night and was up and down all night with the pain.  So I do believe I had more than I pregnancy.  Also I had a question.  They are also watching a cyst they found on my right ovary that seems to be increasing in size.  Does anyone know what would happen if this is another pregnancy or know what else it may be.  I am quite concerned.  My doctor seems to keep things hush hush because he thinks I over react to things.  But working in the health field does not help me much.
It is sad to say that we all know how each other is feeling.  I WISH that sites like this didnt have to exist.  But I am so thankful that it does.  I am very prone to depression (whacky chemical imbalance stuff) and i could easily let this situation consume my thoughts.  I find that if i write/talk about it, it gets it out there.  if i can vent, i wont go to that dark corner in my brain.  I  need to prevent that. I dont like the person i become.  I am so happy with my life right now except for the loss of my baby.  We all need to get through this so that we can have healthy children.  They can sense of their mommy is stressed and i dont want that.. so we as "mommies" whether mommy-to-be or you have other little ones at home, have to keep it together.  And it is so funny to know that everything i am doing after this mc is normal... I know that i am not crazy.. and i think that is what will keep me from getting depressed.. BABY DUST***************************************************************************************************************************
Thanks staci.  fam & friends agree time to get new gyn and not to listen to office help.  Still bleeding a little.  I was on progesterone, then stopped, because they had told me that my levels were fine now. I too have a cyst on one of my ovaries, at which I heard the Dr. say that it has something to do with keeping the baby alive?!  It was a good thing that it formed?  Not sure of that either. But, hang in there.  Thanks for emailing me, it's really nice to see that even complete strangers have greater compassion and love for one another in these days!  God Bless and try and keep the faith:)
hi my name is vanessa,and on wednesaday january 18, 2006.... i found out i was pregnant and that same night i started bleeding and the next day january 19,2006 i went to see my Doctor and i seen a mid wife they just said i was fine and i was 5 weeks and 5 days and they said that everything was fine just too take it easy and so i did well the next day january 20,2006 the bleeeding was still there and the cramping got worse and the pain was so hard to deal with then i decided to take a nap and i fell asleep and woke up an hour later and i had to use the bathroom and i as i was using it i passed a blood cloth and it was a size of a half a dollar i looked at it and i started to cry i knew this was not right i paniced i called my mother and she said lay down and see what happens but i couldnt take it i called my boy friend at work and he had his sister come get me and take me to the ER. i went to the ER i was there for an hours and i had to pee in a cup and i had to get blood drawn at least 5 tubes were takin out and that i had two ultra sounds. well at the end of the night before i was dischaged from the ER they said i miscarried that they couldnt find anything and that the blood clot must have been the baby i had the same feelin well as soon as they said that i was crying so bad i wanted the baby this was my first pregnancy and that my boyfriend had faith that the baby was still there i had to go for a follow up on monday which was today i had took another pregnancy test at the doctors it came back negativei was scared they said i must have passed all the tissue out because of all the bleeding i stopped bleeding today and now its like a browinsh discharge like if i had my menstrual cycle.. i still feel pregnant i want to try again.. how long should i wait to try and conceive????
since you passed naturally you may be able to try right away.  But to make sure, talk to your doctor.. Good luck, and i am so sorry for your loss.. Stay strong and keep coming back here if you need people to talk to.. we all know what you have been through