Maternal & Child Community
Spotting at 15 weeks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Spotting at 15 weeks

HI. I am 15 weeks preggo, and on Fri night I noticed a couple of dots of blod in my underwear. There was no blood in the toilet, or when I wiped. After and before that there was no blood. Then this morning (sunday), I wiped and there was some bright red, nothing in underwear or toilet. Then I used the bathroom after that and then nothing, its like it's coming and going since friday. I dont know if I am having any other symptoms either, bc I am sick with a sore throat and head cold, so any symptoms I may be having could have to do with my cold...or something else?? I am really concerned bc I had a MC in dec 05. We really want this baby and are so excited. Should I be worried, I have heard that some spotting is normal during preg. But im worried, I will call my dr tomorrow, but I was wondering if anyone had anything similar to keep me positive for now???
Have you had a sonogram or heard the heartbeat with doppler yet?

I know you can spot if you have placenta previa. There are many reasons you can spot with a healthy pregnancy, but I think if I were 15 weeks along I would want to get in before tomorrow to make sure everything is ok. I would at least call the on call doctor before tomorrow and ask.

Also, this is really gross, but it is possible to bleed from the rectum too. During my last pregnancy I was very constipated and once in awhile I would bleed and it was from there. My doctor told me it is from internal hemmroids.

I would definitely see someone today. Some spotting is ok but unless you know why and were itis coming from you won't know it is nothing. You should call the dr or go to the er. If your cervix is opening allowing for a little bleeding there are things the dr can do to stop this but it has to be caught early, don't wait. I was 20 weeks and had a little spotting and was told it was nothing. ten at 23 weeks my cervix was open and my membranes were bulging and at this point the dr could not do a erclauge so my baby was born, se turned out very healthy after a long 11 weeks in the nicu but I wish I would have caught it early.
I spotted w/ DS#1 at the beginning of pg (sometimes it was even bright red) & I have spotted w/ both pgs around the 17 or 18th wk. (I'm now 29wks pg)  The DR just said to take it easy, also if you bd in the last few days they usually blame it on bding. Of course talk to the DR, where I live they don't get too excited I finally had to make them do an u/s w/DS#1 after days of spotting & I was just a few wks along. Everything has been fine w/ both of my babies so far :) They never told me the cause just might be the uterus stretching or cervix tender from sex was all they ever told me :) Just wanted to make your day a little better by letting you know it doesn't always mean something bad:) I know it's sooooo scary though I was just as scared w/ this one as I was w/ my 1st pg when it was happening
Thanks everyone. I actually went to the hospital today. I just got back. The DR examined me and said the cervix was closed. He did see some blood, but said everything looks good so far. They also did blood work. I will be calling my DR first thing tomorrow morning. So im praying all is ok. I have to go back on Tuesday for more blood. It wasnt heavy bleeding...but I wanted to be somewhat sure. We did see the heartbeat in August and again Sept 20, and the baby has grown from our first visit. My DR has an U/S machiene in his office, so he checked me out both prenatal visits, and last week the baby was moving around...so I try to keep that in mind for reasurrance. But the spotting this weekend was scary and im trying not to stress!!!
I would at least call the Dr.  It may be nothing, but it's better to be safe than sorry.  The Dr. may want to see you first thing in the morning...or he/she may even want you to go to the ER.  Have you been cramping at all?  I had spotting off and on between 5 wks and 9 wks....and then again at 18 wks.  I was horrified...i also m/c in Jan 06.  So I was sure that something was wrong.  But, The Dr. was able to get me in to an u/s both times and ley my fears to rest.  I DID end up on bedrest for a little over a month this last time because of a minor abruption..but it's healed.  I was even able to go back to work this past week.  Good luck!!!  You'll be in our prayers... believe me, i know how scary it is....but stressing won't help matter any either.  So stay off your feet and drink plenty of fluids...let us know what the Dr. says.
I am 15 wks and 4 days and last Wed, I started spotting. But it was brown. I had been spotting the week before but only one day. They did an ultrasound and the baby looked fine. They told me to not worry and take it easy. Last Wed, it was more than before and I had small clots. The size of a dime. Doctor told me that if clots were the size of a quarter to come in> it lasted for a day. Clots for about an our but it still freaked me out. I don't have another appt for another 2 wks. I am hoping all is ok. I am not spotting anymore. We'll see. Oh and the doctor advised me to not have sex until they checked me out. Hope it all turns out well for you and I.
I been spotting this whole pregnancy.  Sometimes brown once red.  I'm also on prometrium (prog) hormone and I just found out that I have a hemotoben(sp) it is a pocket of blood that collects in the uterus.  It can bleed sometimes, but the baby is fine and it will eventually go away.  Don't worry you are in the 15 week so that is good.
i am now 15 weeks pregnant and have been bleeding for 5 weeks now they tell me  have a blood pocket on my uterus, this is scary as it has been happrning for so long now...i only get 2 days in between bleeds.....has anyone else had it this bad before?