Maternal & Child Community
Started Prometrium after HPT

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Started Prometrium after HPT

To give you background. I have 1 healthy 2year old. I have had two miscarriages, 11/05 and 3/06. The first one was a fluke and the second miscarried happened before I got in to see the Dr. He said it was most likey a chemical pregnancy and since I was done bleeding there was no way to test the tissue (my HCG levels had already gone down to 0) He said that as soon as I find out I am pregnant again to call him and he would put me on Pregesterone. I found out on Friday(5/26) and I got the prescription on Saturday. I am waiting for the Dr. to call back to set up an appointment to get my blood drawn. Has any one started Progesterone after they found out they were pregant (after repeated miscarriages or that Low Progesterone was a factor in not being able to carry) and went on to carry a healthy child? I am so nervous right now. I feel like every cramp is a sign of a miscarriage. I did not have a period after the last miscarriage. This pregancy was not one I was trying for because we were told to wait until after the 1st AF. It is a much appreciated oops.
Thank you!!
Tags: maternal
I was start on Prometrium right away for low progestrone.  I cramped for about two weeks when I first got pregnant.  I am now 12w3d and everything is great.
Thank you. That puts my mind a little at ease as far as the cramping goes.
I was just wondering...how do you know you need progesterone?  Did the doctor do a test or is he just doing it as a precaution?  I had a m/c May 3rd but my dr didn't mention putting me on progesterone when i get prego again, should I ask?  Are there any side effects?
Congrats on your pregnancy!  I hope all goes well and sticky baby dust!!!
Hi!!
The Dr. didn't do any tests, but since he said there was nothing wrong with the first one and the second one happened so fast (3 days after my positive) he said it would not hurt to give it a try. If I miscarry again then he is going to run some tests. I read on some web sites (don't ask where, I don't remember) that weight gain can cause your hormone levels to not stay level and can have an impact on you own pregesterone levels. I gained a lot of weight after my pregnancy with my son. I am getting it down, but they still might now be where they need to be.
Thanks!  I wish I could answer your question...this is all so new to me!  I m/c my first pg so I don't have much experience yet.  It sounds like you have a proactive doctor so I hope all goes well for you this time!!
I wish you the best of luck, too!!! It is hard, but this site has helped answer alot of my questions. I had no idea how many people have gone through the same thing. At first I was ashamed of the fact that I MC'd, I thought that it was something that i did. I learned so much and I am not afraid to talk about it anymore.
Trentonsmom - Just wanted to tell you that I had a m/c in January, but I didn't find out anything from it (i.e. cause, etc.). I don't think it was a chem pg b/c af didn't come until after i discovered what happened, but when they did the transvaginal u/s they didn't see anything but a thickened uterus. Now on to my real reason for posting...I got p/g 3wks after the m/c and the Dr. office said my Progesterone was low (13.5) My Dr. didn't think it was necessary, but I persuaded them to put me on Prometrium just in case (it made me feel like i was doing something to make the situation better). I took them 3x a day for about a week and then they tested me again. This time i was testing at 336! I thought surely they meant 33.6, but NOPE! No wonder I felt drunk/dizzy all the time! I dropped back to once daily and continued til I finished my prescription. I'm happy to report that I'm 18w1d and all is well! I actually felt the baby move on Friday! Hope this helps put your mind at ease a little! BTW - what was your beginning level?
I had 2 miscarriages the first the baby had a severe case of down's syndrome and the second they was sure it was due to low progesterone. I got pregnant 2 weeks after my last and was put on progesterone right away till I was 12 weeks. Well needless to say I delivered a healthy baby girl on Feb 24 of this year. She was delivered 2 weeks early and weighed in at 8lbs and 6.3oz. I wish you all the best and I will keep you in my prayers. Good luck and keep us informed on how you are doing.
Tiffany
I have had 4 m/c and the last two I have been on progesterone supp.  I carried #3 longer than any of the other babies. This is after prog supplement.  My last mc they think was a chem pg because I got a bfp and then lost right away. Progesterone did not help in that case. I have read that if your levels are low you need to start the med right after 'o'. My ob never did this but I am due to see RE in July. I pray we get some answers. To be on the safe side I am following suit after some friends of mine and have started taking prog. already this cycle. If I am pg then my uterus will already be prepared. Pray for us.  God Bless.
why are they taking you off of it so early? I was on it till 12 weeks, that is when the placenta takes over the production of progesterone. How many weeks are you and are they going to keep a close eye on your progesterone levels?
Tiffany
I had a m/c in feb and got pg early april. My doctor put me on progesterone because my levels were at 16.  One week later they were at 16.7 so she put me on two progesterone suppositories a day.  Within 1 week my levels went up to 24.2 so she took me back down to one, which made my levels drop to 10.2.  I started 2 a day and just got the news today that my levels were back up in the 20's.  I see my doctor on Friday to hear my baby's heartbeat.  Progesterone does work..it won't hurt anything to take it even if your levels are ok.  I am still a little scared of losing this baby, but thanks to my docotr monitoring my progesterone levels every week I feel a whole lot better.  Congrats on your pregnancy and my thoughts are with you.  I have 2 girls 7 and 5 that had absolutly no problem  so this has been frusterating, but I truly believe you are only given what you can handle and I think you will be just fine. Best of luck to you!
Thanks for your thoughts.  I should be going off of prometurium in a week or two.  Scared about it though.  It is hard to get through your head that you can take something one day and okay to stop the next and everything will be alright.
I have one more question about prometrium (progesterone). Could it be possible that it can cause a missed miscarriage? Doesn't it make the uterus stronger?
Don't take my word for it, but I am almost positive that progesterone will not cause you to miscarry.  I asked my doctor if any side effects when she put me on it and she said there are none.  If it works for you it will work for the better.  I know what you are going through.  I have been on these suppositories since I found out I was pg end of april.  Good luck to you and I hope everything works out for the best!
I'm a biochemist and have done work with both beta HCG levels and progesterone levels...even more importantly than my line of work, I am the proud mommy of a very healthy 14 month old little boy!  I am 28 years old and had my son at 27.  I had three miscarriages before I successfully carried Ben full term.  Unfortunately, many OB's will not run any tests until three or more miscarriages. They are very common and some estimates suggest as many as 1 in 3 women experience a miscarriage.  My first mc was the longest of the 3 pg's - 9 weeks.  I waited three months and then got pg again but lost that one after a confirmed qualitative hCG at 6 weeks.  Two months later I got pregnant again and lost that one at 5 weeks.  All three were clean miscarriages and all three were confirmed by qualitative blood hCG levels.  Needless to say, I was devestated.  I am healthy, within normal weight ranges and desperately wanted a baby.  My OB ran tests but everything checked out fine.  No founded reasons for why I was miscarrying.  His ultimately findings were "bad luck."  This actually made me and my husband feel a lot better b/c there was nothing wrong with either of us.  I got pg again two months after my third mc and my ob put me on prometrium vaginal suppositories twice a day just as a precautionary.  He said that if it wasn't a progesterone problem, the prometrium would not cause any harm or side effects and if it was a hormone deficiency, this would do the trick - it did!  He also ran quantitative hCG tests for the first two weeks...all numbers were great.

The cramping with prometrium is VERY normal!  It should feel like menstrual cramping which is of course scary - it makes you nervous every time you go to the bathroom - but it is NORMAL.  It will subside in a few weeks and once the placenta can take over the progesterone production in the second trimester, you won't need the prometrium at all anymore.  

Also, if you have a transvaginal u/s done between the 5th-7th week and a fetal heartbeat is detected, your odds of carrying full term are 95%!  It's worth requesting quantitative hCG tests (so long as your levels double every 72 hours in the early weeks) as well as the early u/s...both of those test offer quick reassurance that all is going well!

Finally, I just wanted to say that I am now 6 weeks preggo with baby #2...no miscarriages in between this time and my OB just put me on prometrium again - just as a safeguard.  It can't hurt!  Good luck!
BensMommy - I'm interested in your background in biochemistry for a different area of concern - perimenopause.  My gyn is switching me from Aygestin to Prometrium because I complained about being thrown into the middle of menopause on the Aygestin. We are treating ovarian cysts with the Aygestin and so far, it's eliminated 3 of the cysts I had - but these hot flashes, weepies, night sweats, insomnia, weight gain - all of these are really making me crazy to the point of depression. I'm only 44 years old but I have been displaying varying perimenopausal symptoms for the last 3 - 4 years.  I had asked if I could use a progesterone cream,but was advised that the cream would not give me the amount of progesterone I need.  I've been on-line and have read the side effects, and frankly don't feel any better about this medication that I do the Aygestin.  What words of comfort could you offer, if any?
I have had four m/c's two before my son who is now going to be 10 and two after him , going through my fourth now, not fully confirmed yet but sounds like I am miscarrying, not so sure about PROMETRIUM after doing it for these last two preg. didnt work so well, it will always be a question for me bc when I first found out I was preg they did my hcg levels and they were great untill I started using the PROMETRIUM and then the numbers started to drop, I know it's suppose to help you but not so sure. For my son i did a totally diff suppository cream which I carried him succesfully to full term. I am beginning to think I should have let the pregnancy progress on it's own.