Maternal & Child Community
Stool withholding

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Stool withholding

My daughter has suffered with constipation since starting solids, at 17 months old she was diagnosed with a cow's milk allergy. The removal of all dairy from her diet has had a dramatic effect, not least on her demeanour (no more tummy ache). However she recently has had two bouts of diarrohea and vomitting resulting in a long period with no stool. She is now 18 months and  appears to be witholding her stool and screams and on passing stool having spent up to two days grunting with effort (presumably not to pass the stool). when asked if she wants to do a poo she shakes her head. The passing of stool is always a traumatic event. she eats plenty of fruit & veg but is not good at drinking other than soya milk. since she is on a dairy free diet she should not have lactulose.
Please advise, I would like to resolve this problem before we reach the potty stage
Emma Foulds
Be careful on the amount of the juice and/or acidic fruits as they could also backfire. My son also has what appeared to be a milk allergy so we put him on lactaid and it worked wonders. I give him lots of water (he actually does a "happy water dance" everytime I go to the sink, strange little guy)

Definitely consult the doctor about this. It is very easy to get impacted if the withholding continues. I know this sounds silly, but maybe do a reward system for a short while when she goes poo. That might encourage her. This is one area I am at a loss, my boy never seems to have a problem going #2 (c'mon, he is a boy and just like his daddy: )

ANdrea
My daughter is only six months old but suffers from the same milk allergy. We've actually had trips to the emergency room because of reactions to cows milk formula (when she weaned herself from breastmilk at four months) and then because the soy formula we switched her to made her stools unbearable to pass. My husband and I did research and discovered soy equals constipation and belly aches sometimes. We wanted to stay as natural as possible to remedy the problem so she gets prune juice (we call it her "coffee") in the morning, afternoon and night. If she goes more than two days without a movement, we use glycerine suppositories (they make infant sizes). They're painfree and produce results in minutes! Though your daughter may not want to cooperate at first hopefully she'll get over her fear and things will "flow" more smoothly! Good Luck!!
My advice would be to consult your pediatrician about this issue.
It is not an unusual problem at this age.  Each pediatrician has their own method of addressing the situation.
I just stumbled on this site while searching for information on constipation in toddlers when switched to cow's milk.  Oddly enough, I just read two articles today that stated that recent research indicates that about 50% of children who have problems digesting the protiens in cow's milk also have diffuculty with soy protien as well.

My 12 month old just switched to whole milk and although he has never had regular BMs, it has just been horrible since making the change to cow's milk.  We have had him on mineral oil for the past 8 days.  Some days it works, some days not.  And recently he has started having orange seepage in his diaper that comes with mineral oil use.  I just went and bought some Lactaid today that I intend to start using.  If that doesn't do the trick we will go to Soy milk and use Rice milk as a final resort.

Here is an article if you are interested. http://www.drgreene.com/21_106.html  BEST of luck to you!! I know seeing my little guy in pain while trying to pass a BM just breaks my heart and something HAS to give.
I swear by lactaid, not only for my son but for myself. Give it a shot!!

Andrea