Maternal & Child Community
Stopping Breast Milk for my 5 month old

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Stopping Breast Milk for my 5 month old

I have a 5 month old daughter and have been feeding her expressed breastmilk since birth.  I tried breast feeding dirctly, but was having a hard time.  I wanted her to get all the benefits of the breast milk so my husband and I made a decision to have me pump and feed her through the bottle for the first year.
The problem is that she is underweight- in the 25th percentile.  My husband blames me and says my breastmilk is the reason she is not gaining weght.  He makes me feel so guilty.  I am trying to do the best for her.  I had it with all his snide remarks about putting her on formula.  He would tell me it was because I wasn't eating properly and she wasn't getting the right nutrients or that my frozen milk was sour tasting.  
I found out that I have too much of a protein- lipase- and that when I freeze my milk it reacts and when thawed can cause a sour taste.  I confirmed with my pediatrcian and he said it was normal and continue the breastmilk.  It is the best for the baby.
I had two months of milk in the freezer and last night I threw it all away.  I spent the last five months pumping every 4-5 hours (even getting up in the middle of the night) just to have enough milk for my daughter all for my husband to come back and throw it in my face.
Should I feel bad about stopping the breastmilk?  Does anyone have the same protein problem with their breastmilke?
I don't have an issue with protein but I also exclusively breastfeed.
You can tell your husband that someone told you about their 6 months old daughter who is 20 pounds and who grows an average of 4 pounds per month.  She was born Sept 2 at 6 pounds 7 ounces and is wearing 18 month clothing.
Breast is best (if you can and if you want to).
nikki - it's hard to tell from your post whether your husband is being purposely hurtful,  or just worried and is trying to solve the problem of your daughter getting enough nutrition.

Breastfeeding is such an emotional issue - and when there's a problem, it seems so personal!  Maybe he's just suggesting what he thinks would be healthier for your daughter.

It sounds like you went to a LOT OF WORK to freeze all that breastmilk!  Wow.  I wonder if you could supplement with some foruma,  and express some milk and give it to her fresh every day?

Best wishes.
Thank You...We also have friends who have kids around the same age as our daughter and they were also on breastmilk and are growing fine...I am just so tired of arguing about this with him and constantly having him monitor my protein intake.  I gave in and just switched her over to formula yesterday.  I know it is not going to make a difference in her weight gain-she will eat what she wants when she wants, I am pretty small (127 pounds, 5 feet 8 inches) and think she will just take after me, but I can;t seem to convince him of that.
Gee, I don't feel so bad now.  On a different subject, you must be having the same problems I am.  DD is turning 5 months next Wednesday and is almost 19 lbs. I am having a heck of a time finding clothes that fit her and am embarassed to tell relatives not to buy cutsie outfits for her because at the rate she is going, who knows what size she will be in the springtime.  Her weight is all in her cheeks (she has like the fattest cheeks ever!  and her legs)

for Me2mommy2b...
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n303/LUVBRD/DD.jpg
Deep down I know he is not meaning to hurt me purposely, but I am at my wits end with this.  I went two weeks with just fresh milk to see if that makes a difference (between her three month and 3 1/2 month visit) and she only gained three ounce.  She is a very slow eater and was barely eating 14 ounces a day.  If I try to "force-feed" her she screams.  The doctor said that he is not that concerned because she is at least gaining weight and not losing it and she has no problem in the height department (75th percentile).
She has her 5 month well visit on Tuesday and I keep my fingers crossed that she broke the 13 pound mark.
I have a 1 year old son, that was exclusively breast fead until 6 months of age. And he averagely gained 1 pound a week. He has alwayes been in the 95%, even after I switched him over to formula. Also breast fead babies usually gain more weight that formula fead babies, so I would say that it is better that you were breast feading. Not to mention that it is much healthier than formula. A formula fead baby will usually have twice as many sicknesses than a breast fead baby, and it is known to increase their IQ. I would say that your baby is probably just taking after you, and the breast milk has helped her out more than if she were just on formula.  
How much does your DD weigh now?  My DD will turn 5 months in a few days and she weighs a little under 13 lbs.  She's also very small (was born 5.7) and was gaining on average 1 1/2-2 lbs a month.  If she's a happy child and seems to be content with your milk (not crying all the time) then she's fine with your milk.  I would not stop breastfeeding her.  Your milk is the best food for her and has the best nutrients.  I wish I still had enough milk for DD to exclusively breastfeed her.  Unfortunately, my milk supply has been steadily decreasing and it depresses me.  I would've loved to continue to breastfeed her.  What does your ped say?  If he's happy with her weight gain, then I don't see a problem with b/feeding.
Thank you.  She's a cutie!! Did you ever get Ariella's pix?  How do you get a picture in a photo bucket like that?  I'd like to do that as well but don't know how to do it.  Thanks :)
Is your daughter gaining weight?  Has her percentile dropped or has she always been on the petite size?  And are you petite?  My daughter was always "underweight" but she gained consistently and the ped just thought she was small as I am very small.

I have to commend you for pumping for five months.  What a lot of work.  I nursed my dd for 4.5 months and my ds for 17 months.  I hated pumping and you deserve a medal for the huge commitment you made.

If you want to stop, stop.  You have given your baby a wonderful start.  If you want to continue do so, or do a combination of both.
So sorry to hear that this has been so difficult! I remember the sour smell from thawed milk, but didn't ask any further. Good to know it's pretty normal as I think I tossed several bags due to feeling guilty. I commend you for pumping for so long only to have discouragement from your partner instead of support. Generally speaking though, aren't breastfed babies thinner than formula-fed initially, but then catch up? My son was always on the smaller weight side as well (but then so was his height), so I never put much into that. If I remember correctly, I even read somewhere that the general growth charts that are often used by docs are based on formula fed infants instead of breast-fed infants and that there are distinct differences between the two. And remember, that even in the 25%, there are still 1/4 of infants that are smaller or weigh less than your child. Often my son was in the 10%, but that changed over time and I brestfed for 14 months.

Do what feels right to you! If your doctor is saying all looks good, ignore the numbers as that's really all they are. Your child is an individual that will grow and change at their own rate, regardless of what the growth charts say. Breastfeeding can be a difficult task, and I am sad to hear that you are not being supported at home as I know that can make all the difference in the world of continuing or throwing in the towel. I wish you luck in your decision and can only hope that you are proud of all you've done!
Me2mommy2b
My daughter was 12lbs 9oz at her 4 month visit on 1/25.  We weigh her at home (by stepping on the scale with her and then without her and subtracting the numbers) and think she is about 13 lbs.  What might concern my husband is that she was a pretty big baby (born at 8lbs 3oz) and some books say that she should be about double her birth weght by 6 months.  At this rate, she will not hit that 16 pound mark at 6 months.
She is happy, just a lazy eater.  She eats about an ounce then stops, starts, stops and the cycle goes for about an hour and half.  
I will see the Ped on Tuesday for her 5 month and hopefully he can talk some sense into my husband and get him to get off my back.

anxiousmomtobe?
As for her percentile, she was in the 50th until three months when she hit the 25th.  I am tall 5'8" and 127 pounds as of last week.  Maybe she is just taking after me and will be tall and skinny
I still never got anything at
***@****

go to www.photobucket.com.  register--it is easy.  hit the browse button and search your computer for the location of your images then hit the UPLOAD button to upload the image.
it will begin to create a photo album for you for all the files you upload.  Then when you want to post a image like I did, just copy and paste the URL HTML, or IMG code listed under your image.   It is pretty simple.

Here are some more pics
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n303/LUVBRD/IMG_0760.jpg

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n303/LUVBRD/IMG_0670.jpg

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n303/LUVBRD/IMG_0626.jpg
It sounds like your dd is just small framed like her mommy. My ds is 5 months, 1 week and he weighs about 20lbs (he was 10 lbs 9 oz at birth). My niece is 13 months and weighs around the same as my ds. Both are breastfed and very healthy. She is just small and my son is just big. It's as simple as that. I also thought babies should triple their weight by one year, so your dd has 7 more months to gain about 7 lbs; it seems like she's right on track to me:) Men can never understand how hard it is to breastfeed! Maybe your husband can read up on it a little bit so he can understand what it's like for you. I wish you well!!!