Maternal & Child Community
Stopping Progesterone Suppositories After First Trimester

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hey again everyone.  Hope all is going well for everyone.  I have successfully made it into my tenth week, so only 2 more to go until I have passed the first trimester.  I am on progesterone vaginal suppositories and my Doc wants me to stop using them at the end of the first trimester since he said the placenta takes over at this point.  Does this sound right?  Is there any way to test if the placenta has taken over?  My fear is that it hasn't taken over and if I stop the suppositories, could it end in disaster?  I'd really appreciate some feedback or similar experiences.  Thanks so much.
Can I ask why you take that?
I get that your body is not producing enough but how did you find that out?  
I have had 2 M/C's in the last yr. I have not had any testing they just said that I could try again and that if I had a 3rd M/C then they would start the testing.
If I can be so bold what happened to make you get tested?
I am on those too.  I go to the dr. this afternoon and I am gonna see when I should stop them.  i have 2 more refills of 30 day supply so i dont know if they want me to take those or not.  I will let you know.  but yes the placenta does take over after 12 weeks.
hi....good to know that those creams work...i was actually Rx'd too with those but unfortunately, i havent started it yet together with Clomid because Af hasnt left me yet...good luck and happy 9 months to you....sticky baby dust to all ~*~*~*~*~*~*
I was on progesterone for the first trimester of this pg.  I m/c earlier this year..and the dr. decided to keep an eye on my progesterone.  The way it was explained to me...By 13 wks, if the placenta didn't take over, you would have m/c by that point.By this time your body needs more progesterone than can possibly be prescribed to support the pregnancy.  And that if by 13 wks you're still carrying, then your placenta took over.  

To the lady whose dr. is waiting for a 3rd m/c before testing..may i suggest a second opinion?  I would seek the help of another dr.  Mine did testing with my very first pg.  And then continued on with this one.  Good luck to everyone!
I am on them also and my dr is having me stop them and the metformin after 12 weeks, she said the samething. It will be fine.

This may be kind of a dumb question, but do you stop them at 12wks or after 12wks?
stephd, please do let me know what your doctor tells you.

mummyrunning70, the reason is earlier this year I was pregnant and started spotting.  They tested my progesterone level and it was low so I was put on the suppositories.  Unfortunately, it didn't help, I was bound to miscarry.  I am now pregnant again and because of my history, they checked right away and it was low.  Also, I started spotting lightly at the same time so they put me on them again, a little earlier this time.  Hope this helps you out, feel free to ask any more questions!
I'm not sure if it varies from case to case...but my Dr. had me take them until 13 wks....just to be on the safe side...but i've heard of people stopping at 12 wks too.
I am preggers again so I think its to late for the tests.  I did not spot or anything just through u/s they saw no heartbeat both times.
I have seen more than one dr. my GP and the head of OBGYN at one of the best hospitals in TO so I am going with what they said about testing and hoping this time will be different???

Heres to hope.
i have a question...your Clomid was started on the 5th day for 5 days...when did you start the progesterone suppositories?my ob said clomid for 5d starting on the 5th day then no BDng for 3 days, BDng 5 days...i just forgot when to start the prog...
my doc does a blood test at 13 weeks to make sure your progesterone is high enough before taking you off (I think they want it above 39 but can't remmebr)
I kept taking them and slowly weaned off after doc said my prog was high enough and I could stop
I used the progesterone gel suppositories with my daughter, and stopped a couple of days past 12 weeks. Same this time, and I'm almost 16 weeks now. It feels risky just to stop cold turkey, but it's true that if you were going to m/c, it probably would've happened by now despite the progesterone. If the placenta is healthy enough to support your baby, it will definately be able to produce all the progesterone you need.
My Dr. started me this time around as soon as i got a BFP.  The last go around, i m/c  before my bloodwork came back.  So we never knew it was low.  This time, as soon as i got a BFP, i called.  He sent me for bloodwork the very next morning and then immediately started me on progesterone even bfore they got the results back...just to make sure i didn't have a repeat of last time.  My results came back and it was low...so it was a good thing he started it right away.  I'm 16w4d now.  I've been off for over 3 weeks.
ok i had a mc early like 5 weeks. my dr said at this early if your going to mc there isnt anything they can do. my question is how early did your drs put you on and were you already bleeding when they did? i just want to have more info before we decide to try agian. to see if i should find a different dr knowing they wont do anything that early.
i was on the progesterone pills up til the end of my 10th week.  glad to be off them- they made me exhausted!
I'm sorry you experienced a loss like mine.  it is heartbreaking.  this is my second miscarriage in 14 months, the first was an ectopic pregnancy.  we are ttc too but my emotions are so mixed up still and i am sad and angry and hurt.  i wish you lots of everything you need to mend your heart.
i was put on progesterone suppositories morning and night from 6 wks but miscarried at 11 wks (babe had actually died at 9 wks).  could the suppositories actually have stopped me from bleeding and contracting as soon as the baby died and for the next 2 wks?
Hi.  I went through the same thing. I was put on the suppositories as soon as i got the BFP and I found out at 10 1/2 weeks I m/c but baby died at 7 weeks. I ended up having a d&c because it was over a week and my body wan't doing anything yet. i stopped the suppositories as soon as i found out that i had m/c. what a blow to my heart that was. i lost another baby in feb they said was due to low proggesterone. still ttc but boy am i terrified.  i hope everything works out for you and sticky baby dust!
How did you find out the baby had dies?  Symptoms disappear or something which prompted you to find out?  I'm still nauseous, exhausted, and feel cramps and pulling.
Well my doctor told me that i would have to be on it until 12 weeks then I can stop.
How did everything go???????
Hi, I am new in this, I am 4 weeks and have cramps the doctor gave me progesterone suppositories over the phone. I expected to it to come with all the instruction. The doctor
Put one in the vagina twice a day or once a day, depending on what the doctor said. If it is a gel, you squeeze it in.  If it is a pill, you lie in a contorted position on the floor with your legs in the air, stick it on your tip of your thumb so it won't roll away, jam it in a la "he put in his thumb and pulled out a plum" except in reverse, and hope it doesn't roll back out.  If it stays, yell "What a good girl am I!," just like in the rhyme.  I always sit around for about a half hour afterwards for the gelatin to do its melting thing and the progesterone to get a good start. The nurse said not to worry after a half hour if some of it comes out.  Also, try wearing a minipad the first few times, to be sure it doesn't make a mess of you.  Good luck!
I found out because i had backpain one night, then started bleeding, then the next day i started having labour pains 20 mins apart.  had a scan and dr said "no heartbeat" - those words have burned in my memory.  i had an evacuation next morning because my cervix was already dilating.
do you know why some drs just assume that at that early in the pg "if your going to lose it we cant stop it this early"? i wont dwell on the possibilities of what if i had because by the time i had cramping i had bleeding and it wouldnt have helped. BUT!! what do you ladies suggest? i just have 2 months next year to try again before dh leaves out to sea and that is when we want to get pg. i know the chances arent great in short amount of time. im so happy your dr made such a wise decision.
I have had three m/c in 16 months.  One in my 15th week, 5th week, and 6th week.  I am now PG again, and am on twice a day progesterone suppositories ( 800mg) since the 2nd week of PG.  After some genetic testing of both my husband and I; we have learned that I have a blood disorder called Leiden factor V that causes me to clot in the placenta which results in M/C.  I had my 3rd ultrasound to date and the baby's heartbeat was stong at 165 bpm  ( 81/2 weeks pg).  The doctor wants to take me off of the progesterone now, and I am afraid to go off too soon, before we know that the placenta has taken over.

Does anyone know if there are harmful side effects on the baby from staying on too long? Thanks in advance.
I had two miscarriages so i was put on progesterone suppositories 400mg twice daily and came off them at 11 weeks,i am now 31 weeks pregnant with a little girl,there are no harmful side effects at all to natural progesterone,i asked my doctor and was told that they wouldnt give them to you if there were.good luck x
Hi. I m/c'd at 10.5 wks with my first. embryo died at 6 wks. I got prego again the following year.. was on progesterone for this pregnancy and was actually on for the WHOLE TERM.. right up until the day I had my daughter.. who is healthy and happy and almost 19 months now. I am prego again now.. was on progesterone for 14 wks.. just stopped.. am now in my 15th week. Im feeling a little concernd and will talk to the doc about it.. but so far so good.. no odd symptoms.. im sure baby is fine.

good luck!
I am 3 weeks pregnant and started the progesterone last night I got a MAJOR migraine and offcourse nausea has anyone else been affected like this??
I am three weeks pg and the doctor tested and said my Progesterone was low and put me on 100mg vaginal supplements twice a day - I am so very worried, all the stories i am reading result in miscarriage and i am scared to death.