Maternal & Child Community
Strawberry hemangioma?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Strawberry hemangioma?

My six week old baby just developed a hemangioma on her forehead just above her eyebrow. My doctor said it can grow the size of a golf ball but most disappear between age 1-9.  I have heard that there is nothing to take it away or minimize it..is this true? It is too low on her head too for a hat to cover it and I am so disappointed for her that all her photos will have this huge mark above her eye brow and that it could develop into a much bigger lump. Does anyone else have experience with this? How long does it really last for and does it really disappear without a scar?
My sisters 8 month old has one on her neck that goes up into her ear.  Hers developed right around 6 weeks also.  Hers is lessening in color intensity and shrinking in size a bit already.  There are some treatments available such as steroids and laser therapy but it is usually best to let it heal naturally.
My DD had one right above her right eyebrow.  It grew fast, right about the same age as your DD.  And my little girl was bald as can be until 2....

Her mark never grew past the size of the top of a pen cap.

Her mark is still there but has faded tremendously.  I remember hearing those words from the Drs, and my MIL was very upset by the mark....but really it wasn't a big deal.

If I can find an old baby pic for you, I'll post it.
My daughter has had one on her back since birth. It started out small and grew to about the size of a quarter. It became raised and bright red. The doc's told me it would be gone by age 5 but it has already gotten alot smaller and faded (most of it is flesh color now). They are very common especially in girls. My friend's daughter also had one above her eye and her doc said they will not remove it unless it effects her eyesight. Hers has also faded alot. It will eventually go away.
Yes, if you have a picture, please post it. My DD's mark is in exactly the same spot- above her right eyebrow.

I know there was nothing I could have done to prevent it but I feel awful never the less. I dread it growing bigger- it is already big enough.
Yes-my daughter had one on her back that grew to be only about the size of a dime and had completely faded by the time she was 5 and you can't tell she ever even had one. It's unfortunate that it's on her face, but it WILL fade and have no lasting effects.
my daughter has one on the back of her shoulder. never got bigger than a pen cap either. doc said it would start fading around the age of 1, and it already has faded a lot. it's also shrinking in size. she turned 1 last week.

i have seen children where it grows to the size of a golf ball. a little girl at my daughter's babysitter has one that big under her eye. i imagine it makes adults look twice, but the kids certainly don't notice or care. a girl where i work had one that big. she had surgery this past year (she must have been 5) and the difference is amazing. but again, it's something that the other children never cared about.
My daughter has one on her back.  It became the size of a quarter.  She's 12 and her's is still fading.   There wasn't anything they could do about it at that time but I wonder know with everything they do with laser surgery if that would be a possiblity.
If you go under my profile and look at the pics, I just uploaded a pic of my daughter's hemangioma. It looks so much better already and she is only 15 months old. It has faded considerably. Good luck to you and your daughter!
Thanks for uploading the picture..that is what my DD's hemangioma looks like right now. I really hope hers fades too!
Should her hemangioma grow, you have to be very careful that she does not bump it. Although, it is rare, they can bleed profusely.

I'm assuming your doctor warned you about this.
Thanks everyone for your comments..it does seem like it will go away at some point so I will have to be patient until then.
My daughter 7 mths now she has about 15 all over her body and even in her liver im waiting to get an MRI for her brain and a heart scan to see if they are anywhere else. but they are triailing a new drug on her its called Propranolol. we havn't see any side effects its been 4 weeks now. its just a waiting game. i was wondering has anyone else been put on this drug?
I have a hemangioma in my leg and it is the biggest tumors any of my doctors have ever seen.  It is 16 inches in length and I'm lucky I haven't lost my leg yet.  I had one "surgery" that people all around the world have come to Colorado to have.  It is mainly only helpful to outer "strawberry" hemangiomas.  I will always have this and it will never go away... sometimes things can be done to shrink the size of it but not always and not much really can be done.  I would just be glad that it is on the outside rather than deep inside, they are much worse!