Maternal & Child Community
Stretch Mark Prevention?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Stretch Mark Prevention?

Does anyone know of anything that you can use to help with stretch marks? My doctor said Mederma, but I was wondering has anyone ever heard of using Vitamen E oil? If so, how does that work? Are you supposed to use that kind of oil like you would use, say baby oil? Sorry so many questions... Just curious...
If you are genetically programmed to get stretch marks, you are going to get stretch marks, because it has to do with the layer under the skin not the surface skin.  That said, I have heard consistently of Vitamin E oil and cocoa butter being the two main ingredients that women use to try to lubricate the skin to prevent stretch marks.  Vitamin E oil is not a lot like baby oil, it's thicker and quite sticky.  You could make your own mix with a cocoa butter based cream and some vit. e oil together.  Unfortunately, though, all the lubrication of the surface skin in the world will not stop stretch marks if they are going to happen.
Hi, I asked the same question few weeks ago and I think Vit.E is very important. I just started using Palmer's "cocoa butter formula" with Vit. E, Collagen, Elastin, but I'm only 4 months along, so I have no idea if it'll help. I bought it at maternity store for 6 bucks. I thought I made a good deal:)))
Using a good mosturiser like coca butter or vitamin e will keep the skin supple but I don't think you can prevent stretch marks as such. With my first pregnancy (I delivered at 32 weeks) I put on 40 lbs and had awful stretch marks despite using a cream marketed specifically to help reduce stretch marks. This time I have no stretch marks at all (not even the old one have reappeared they are still soft silvery lines) and I havent used any cream at all. That said I am now 33 weeks and have only out 15lbs on so far so for me obviously weight gain had something to do with them the first time around. I still have seven weeks to go and my skin is getting pretty tight now so I may be blessed with a few more pregnancy souvenirs yet!
I agree with AnnieBrooke...I used Palmer's Cocoa Butter formula religiously and I ended up with tons of stretch marks all over my stomach...I was so upset (and still am) about it but what are you going to do?  I guess lubricating your skin might lessen the severity but I doubt it'll eliminate the problem completely.
I used Palmer's lotion daily during my first pregnancy and did not get one single stretch mark.
I am using Almond Oil. It helps a lot with the itchiness. As everyone else has said, if you are going to get the strect marks you can't prevent them.
Hi everyone not only do genetics play a part in getting stretchmarks but also on how much weight you've gained and your type of skin. With my first pg I gained 24 lbs and boy did I get stretch marks all over with this pg I'm 32 weeks and not one mark and I've gained  14 lbs thus far. With both my pg's I used cocoa butter and vit E.
they have a new lotion with enhanced Elastin. our skin has natural Collegin & Elastin, collegin for skin strength & elastin for skin stretchability. i forget the name  but find a lotion w/ elastin & youre good to go!
My mom got a lot of stretch of marks, so I don't agree with genetics.  I was recommended and used baby oil throughout my entire pregnancy...both bathing in and rubbing on.  I got absolutely no stretch marks!!!!  I highly recommend baby oil.  From neck to toe, every day, possibly twice a day, until you give birth.
I have a friend who just had her 5th baby and she has never gotten a single stretch mark. She started having them Very young though, her first baby came when she was 13 years old shes had a baby a year pretty much since then shes now 19.(Dont know if that has any thing to do with it or not)*
my sister got stretch marks after she gave birth her 1st child 2 months ago. of course she took food/fruit riched with vit E, vit a,b c, zinc. but nothig can stop her form getting stretch marks. so she asked me to look for a product that could help reduce the stretch marks. she was lucky, i found one product on Internet called Jojo E. got that from this website www.stretchmarktreatment.net. now, after 2 mnths, the stretch marks begin to fade out. if this products worked for her, it miht work for yu too.
Oh man... I bought the most expensive stretch mark cream I could find at walmart and applied it about 3 times a day (i was so afraid of nasty stretch marks)  and I only gained about 18 lbs because I threw up the whole time and I STILL got stretch marks BUT on the other hand my cousin who is a skinny minney (I'm not... )  didn't use anything and gained about 35 lbs didn't get one mark.  So don't waste too much money all lotions and creams because I don't think they work.  My doctor told me they didn't work after I had already bought it.  Just remember, if you have nasty stretch marks its just a sign that you've brought a beautiful baby into this world! *(and if nothing else you can get them lasered off years down the road)