Maternal & Child Community
Successful Pregnancy taking Wellbutrin

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Successful Pregnancy taking Wellbutrin

I have a 4 year old and a 6 month old and just found out I am pregnant again.  I have been on a variety of antidepresents for 3 years and took Effexor during my second pregnancy. I have been on a combination of Effexor and Wellbutrin for 6 months.  Since finding out I am pregnant I have quit taking the Effexor all togeher and continue to take the Wellbutrin.  I am feeling fine at this time.  I have tried on several occasions to function without any medication, but found it not to work. I would like to hear from anyone who has taken Wellbutrin and/or Effexor during pregnancy.  Is there any research available regarding this issue?  What is the safest antidepressent to take during pregnancy?  Is a single type rather than multiple types safer?
If it would make you feel any better, the books that doctors use "Drugs and Pregnancy in Lactation" states that Wellbutrin is a category B, which is considered very safe. I myself stopped Effexor, Buspar, and Ativan when pregnant with my son. I am thankful I made that decision because as you can attest to, going off of Effexor cold turkey can be quite painfull and you wouldn't want to do that to your baby : ) My doctor has stuck with allowing me to take EITHER Prozac or Wellbutrin and I am high-risk (just lost a baby last week, not related to meds)Good luck, hope this helped!!

Andrea
angel baby 6/03
Jonathan Avery 12/7/01
angel baby 8/00
angel baby 1/96
angel baby 11/92
Hello!  I took both Paxil and Wellbutrin during my last pregnancy which ended after 5 months.  The baby had severe hydrocephalus which basically prevented brain development.  At that point in my pregnancy, there was nothing they could do to remedy the situation.

My doctors do NOT think that our baby's problem was in any way due to the medication I was taking.  I'm not convinced the antidepressants had anything to do with it either.  However, I am now pregnant once more and have decided to stop taking the Wellbutrin.  I'm going to continue with the Paxil (only 10 mg per day) for at least the rest of the 1st trimester.  My decision is based on the fact that there is simply less known about the effects of Wellbutrin during pregnancy.

I don't want to scare you with my story because Wellbutrin may very well have had nothing to do with the terrible end to my last pregnancy.  But since so little is known (and I tried very hard to find any info I could before even attempting to conceive) I thought I should at least offer my experience so you can take it for what it's worth.

Best wishes for a healthy, happy pregnancy and birth!
I just wanted to post this because I don't want people to think it is okay to take Paxil during pregnancy. It is not. Do your research. It is much safer to take wellbutrin then paxil. There is a lot of research that supports the fact that paxil has been known to cause fetal problems and miscarriage.

I truly hope the above poster had a healthy and happy pregnancy and that she was unaffected. However, I couldnt just read this and not say something.
I have been taking Welbutrin xl since July and stopped taking Birth control in August. I have yet to get pregnant, but am wanting to but am a little scared. I need the medicine but I really want a baby too. I just wish I knew that continuing to take it is okay. My doctor wouldn't say yes or no. I did get a call today from a nurse at a special place that deals wirhpeople like me.
wellbutrin is the only one of the anti depressants that I know of to actually be considered safe and the drug companies have actually done studies on it and prooven it to be safe so you gotta take care of your body but I am on wellbutrin and im pregnant it is still early i will wean off before I have my child and try and stay off enough to breast feed but if anything were to happen I wouldnt contribute it to the wellbutrin....Paxil is the only one that ive seen to be a no go all around so I would suggest not to even consider Paxil and please remember that wellbutrin doesnt touch the serotonin in ur brain so it is diff that all the other anti depressants so id stop the effexor and id def stop the paxil and go with the wellbutrin its been on the market for a long time now and they cannot associate it with any health issues in pregnancy but all the ssri's they can so I just think maybe u should be monitored as closely as possible maybe buy a dopler just so u can have peace of mind but everything will work out just keep faith