Maternal & Child Community
Sudden menopause at 42, or a THIRD ectopic???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hi:

I am hoping someone here can help me. I am 42 and have had irregular cycles for the last year. My doctor and ob both said last year that I was too young for perimenopause, which I didn't believe. My last cycle was Nov. 15th. I have missed to months now, but pregnancy tests are negative. I am worried about this, because at age 21, I had a ruptured tubal ectopic that resulted in emergency major (not lap) surgery, and removal of one tube. At age 33, I had a second tubal pregnancy, got methotrexate (didn't work), had lap surgery 6 months after methotrexate and near daily blood tests (after I insisted on exploratory surgery because I still had pain). My doc said that so much of the tube was removed that I could NOT get pregnant unless I went to a fertility doctor; but he did caution me as to a 1% or some low numbered chance of an ectopic elsewhere if I tried getting pg on my own, although he said it wasn't likely. Another obgyn after him told me that my surgeries for ectopics "amounted to a tubal ligation."

Can you suddenly hit menopause and your period just stop??? I have no pain, but think I had a 24 hour flu twice in the last two weeks. I don't trust OTC preg tests because they never showed my ectopics-- and one had an HCG over 20,000 before it was caught. What are the chances that this is a THIRD ectopic, in the tube stub I have left, or somewhere in the abdomen with no pain? has anyone else experienced this? All of the women in my family had hysterectomies in their early 30s, so I don't know what to expect with natural menopause. Docs wouldn't talk to me about it except to say I was too young to be concerned with it yet.

I only have medicare as I am on disability, and as you might guess, that's not something that my insurance will cover to get blood tests and pregnancy ultrasounds. Has anyone had any kind of similar history or issue? any help is greatly appreciated.
Tags: third ectopic, ectopic, Menopause, Pregnancy, test

Hi!
If you have been having irregular periods for a year and they have stopped for the last two months then you could be in perimenopause state. If no periods come for six months, then menopause is more or less confirmed and considered complete if no periods come for a year. Though early, women are known to attain menopause by 45 years of age. If urine and blood HCG test have not been very helpful in the past, then the only way you can confirm whether this is an ectopic or not is through an ultrasound. However, ectopics usually cause pains.
Other causes of missed periods can be PCOD, hypothyroidism, diabetes, a sudden increase or sudden fall in weight or prolonged illness. You need to find a doctor who can look into this for you. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
I have missed my cycled for past 18 days. and I keep reading about women being pregnant after tubes being clamped for 10yrs, and i am fatigued with being sick to my stomach in the morning. I have 2 children and know the symptoms of being pregnant so this is unusal. what is your opinion?