Maternal & Child Community
Suggestions for joint pain relief in pregnancy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Ok, I do know an easy solution to this...no weight bearing exercises, but I just don't think I can do that...I would rather be stiff and sore.  I'm almost 20 weeks, and I run or do some other form of working out 6 days a week.  My hips always bothered me a little, but I know that your joints relax during pregnancy.  Now my knees are killing me...to the point to where it hurts to stand up for over 24 hours after I go for a run.  I have had surgery in the knee that particularly bothers me, and my hip that bothers me is a result of over 20 years of tennis (I'm only 26, started playing competitively when I was 5, trained at a tennis academy in high school seriously, and then played D1 in college- so I've beaten on them for a while).  I knew it would get worse with pregnancy, but never thought my knee would bother me like it did before surgery.  Any suggestions?  I don't know what I can put on it that is safe.  Thanks:)
well for your hips hurting i no that the doctors have a belt you can wear its callled a mommy belt, it helps when your pevic bone seperates and when your hips hurt. your knee maybe try to ice it or get a brace for it or just take it a little easier then what you are.. im not a doctor but im sure if you talk with them they might have some advice to give you. good luck..
ksanden
Thanks ksanden!  I was looking on the internet and some suggestions are acupuncture...??  I almost considered trying it to help regulate my cycles before I conceived, but I'm not one to try stuff like that...although when i went a chiropractor the first time I was skeptical and left a huge fan of the guy.  I wouldn't just go anywhere to get acupuncture done, and I never thought about it during pregnancy, but I'm reading that it can really help with a lot of things during pregnancy.  Anyone try this?  Oh, and I do have a brace from after my surgery 4 years ago that is called an "unloader," and takes the weight off of the joint.  Maybe I'll try using that.  Thanks for the reminder for that too.  The hip pain is bearable for now...it is the knee that is priority number one.  
I'm 22 weeks and I take warm baths and relax and that helps with my joints, it even helps with my cramping too.  Also having tylenol on stand by is good.
I have arthritis, so I feel your pain. Ice, or heat are ok, depending on which makes it feel better. Muscle rubs like aspercreme, and vicks vapor rub are usually ok too. Ohter than Tylenol, there really isn't anything else you can take, unless the pain has you in bed. Then the Dr. may give you something stronger like a narcotic.
Thanks for the advice!  I'm not bedridden by any means, but it's super painful after I run.  I'm pretty much done moving for the day if I do it, so I tend to do it at night and just wake up with aches and pains. Then that day I'll do non weight bearing, so it's not like I'm crippled or anything, it would just be nice not to have to experience the disabling pain that I have the night I run.  Again, easy fix, don't run, but it really helps me mentally and the rest of my body.  I'm stubborn, I know.  But thanks, again.  I'm glad to know that those creams are ok.  
I am a competative distance runner.  During my 1st pregnancy I ran between 2-4 miles until I was 26 weeks pregnant, then I did bet. 1-2 miles until I was 30 weeks pregnant, then,...I had to lay off.  It killed me!  But, I had so much pain in my knees and hips and ankles that it was not worth it.  I was also swimming from time to time.  Don't know if that is an option for you, but try going to a gym that has a lap lane pool.  When your in the water you feel so free, and the exercise is just as good cardio, if not better than running.  If you are worried about loosing the tone in your muscles, don't!!  Just be thankful that your pregnancy allows you to exercise at all, some women can't!  Remember your body will hurt for a reason, it is trying to tell you something!!  
hi i am 20 week pregnant,now i have pain i n kneejoint....even in the morning...same type of pain 1 week back,usually lasting for one day.i am 47kg now previously 44,I am doctor i had back pain and knee pain during early days of clinical classes.noi have 28