Maternal & Child Community
Suspect a miscarriage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Suspect a miscarriage

Yesterday, at about 5 weeks pregnant, I began to bleed.  The bleeding was about as heavy as my period and continued for 4 hours.  Then for two more hours, I had light bleeding.  I did pass a clot.  I had accepted that I had a miscarriage.  I have talked to a couple of friends since then who have had similar incidents and went on to have healthy pregnancies.  I've also heard that miscarriages usually take longer than six hours.  It's hard for me to believe that what happened yesterday was ok.  My doctor won't see me for two weeks.  Will a home pregnancy test give me any answers?
Unfortunately a home test will not shed much light at this point.  You should contact your doctor and explain what has happened, and insist that they send you for blood work to find out if your hcg levels are decreasing.

I am sorry you are going through this.  With my last miscarriage, I also started bleeding at 5 weeks.   I hardly had any cramping, and bled heavily for about 1 day.  When I had my blood levels checked the very next day, it turned out that it was what they refer to as a chemical pregnancy.  I believe what that means is that an egg is fertilized but then never does anything else.  In those cases, even though you got a positive home test, the embryo never develops and it is expelled usually in week 5 or 6.  YOu would know this is the case if your hcg levels are extremely low.  With my chemical pregnancy, my level never went above 36.  Good luck to you.
If your dr. did not want to see you right away, you should probably think about getting a new dr.  With my last miscarriage my dr. scolded me for not calling him as soon as the spotting started (i waited to days because it was very light). Usually they want you to come in right away to check it out.
bleeding in pregnancy can be ok, but it's always worth checking it out.
I am truly sorry you are going through this.  Are you calculating your 5 weeks from the first day of your last period?  How late is your period?  I ask these questions b/c I too had a chemical pregnancy in May.  This is what happened to me.  My last period was May 1, 05, I missed my period on May 28th, I began to spot on May 30, 31,then the bleeding stopped, although it was very light.  On June 1 and 3rd my dr. had my blood drawn for HCG levels.  They were very very low, I think 35 then 38, so not doubling like they should.  On June 7th I began what was a normal period.  Again on June 10 I had blood work done, but still not rising, but not going down either.  My bleeding was still lighter than my normal periods.   I stopped bleeding about 5 days later and then a week after that my levels were finally at a negative number again.  My dr. says this is very common, and most women don't know they were even pg ,just think their period is late.  I am very in tune to my body and just knew I was pg despite the HPT being very faint.  There is only one good thing about this type of miscarriage and that is that you should not have to have a d&c and you can begin to try again right away.  I hope that this is not what is happening to you, but if it is, you are not alone.  I did talk to my dr. about this and I believe my luteal phase is short and I have begun to take vit b6 50 mg perday including my pre-natal vit hoping this will help next time. I hope I have been of some help to you. My prayers are with you and hope for a happy ending.
Ill be the first to disagree.  I bled at five weeks - yes I was freaked out - but the doc said they can't see anything till after week six anyway.  I had an ultrasound at 6 weeks 2 days.  I think your doc is just being cautious.  If you go in and see nothing in the uterus and pay for an u/s will you feel anybetter?  Most docs think not so they opt for wait it out.  I really feel for you - because I was just so upset - but it turned out Ok - I am just shy of 20 weeks.  Good luck.  Ps - I also noticed the more i stressed or cried the heavier I bled - when I didn;t stress or cry I didn't bleed at all - they did put me on progesterone at about week 11.
I agree with everyone else.  PLEASE GET A DIFFERENT DR!!!!!  Go to the ER if you need to.  This is your baby we are talking about here.  What a jerk for not wanting to see you sooner unless he/she feels that if it is a m/c you may expel everything by then.  I guess it is up to you.  Did you have bad cramping????  I am sorry you are going through this and I do hope all turns out fine.  Good Luck to you.
I agree with everyone else. If your Dr doesnt fit you in right at the very moment when you call, you need to find someone else.
Mine started in the morning, by the end of the day it was dark blood. They say you could spot up to 2 weeks. May take 4-6 weeks to start your period. They need to do blood work to make sure that your levels are going down. If they are not then make sure that you dont have a etopic. I went in 30 minutes after I started bleeding. Had a inturnal (sp) ultasound and blood work. Then more blood work to make sure everything was going back to normal. 3 weeks later I was pg again (SUPRISE) now in the 9th week. Went in the same date as my m/c and seen the heart beat.
I'm sorry your going through the heartbreak. Please see a Dr sooner. Take Care.
Thanks to everyone for your comments and concern.  From reading your posts, it sounds like I may have also had a chemical pregnancy which I had never heard of before.  I got a positive home pregnancy test result 4 days before I was supposed to start my period. (I'm one of those impatient types.)  I went to the doctor for confirmation (because hubby insisted) on Monday which was only one day after my missed period.  My hcg level was 29 which meant nothing to me.  After reading your posts, I gather that is low.  Four days later, (five days after my missed period) I had the bleeding.  My doctor's reasoning for not seeing me immediately is they can't do anything to stop a miscarriage.  She wanted me to wait two weeks so that if it is a miscarriage, my body would have time to expel everything.  Since I've stopped bleeding, I'll probably call and ask to be seen sooner.  Although I don't have much hope that it's ok, it would be difficult to wait two weeks to know for sure.  Thanks again for your caring comments.  Nothing like this has ever happened to me before.  I wouldn't wish this on anyone, but it is kind of nice to know that there are women out there who understand.
Im so sorry your doctor is not taking more action to see whats going on! You should be getting quantitative hcg testing done every 2 days to see if you are actualy having a miscarrage (miscarriage)! Its important that they do stay on top of things to make sure theres nothing else wrong. I have a history of 2 blighted ovums and one possible eptopic so I always demand that I get seen early and things are checked.

My friend bled heavy for a week or more having clots the size of prunes and she has a healthy 3 year old now. Dont ever give up hope untill they say theres nothing there with an u/s at the appropriate time. Another name for Chemical pregnancy is Blighted ovum. Heres a few sites that has helped me.

Keep us updated! I wish you all the luck I have! I have been through this 3 times and possibly a 4th right now. xo Jennie

http://www.misdiagnosedmiscarriage.com/forums/

http://blightedovum.kokopuff.net/blightedovum.html

http://blightedovum.proboards46.com/
Go to the ER... I did yesterday, after bleeding and cramps, and they found no heartbeat. They've sent me home to miscarry by myself, it's really scary. Just go ASAP.
My name is Holly. I am 20 years old. I am planning on going off the pill (i have been on it for 3 years now) in November. I hope to get pregnant right away so I can give the news to my in-laws and my parents as an xmas gift. Do people usually have problems conceiving the first few months they go off the pill? How does it work? I also want to lose weight before I have a baby. As it is I am not comfortable in my skin. If anyone has suggestions or would like to chat, please email me at butterfly_baybee2005***@**** I will respond to everyone!
Also, will you only conceive on certain days of the month? I can use as much information as I can
I completely feel what you are going through. I am at 51/2 weeks right now and this morning I woke up with heavy cramping and some bleeding (like my normal first day of menstration). I saw my doctor this morning and she took blood work and is having me come back in 3 days for additional blood work to see if my levels are returning to normal, I am also scheduled for an ultrasound next week. Even if there is nothing the doctor can do to prevent the miscarraige (miscarriage), it was wonderful having a doctor who understood that I was going to her for more than a diagnosis. I wanted confirmation of what was going on, and advice on what to do next. It's very scary and sad to have just started the journey (I had known that I was pregnant for 4 days) only to have it fall apart, and my doctor helped me wrap my mind around the situation. I think I would have gone nuts if I had to wait weeks to get some information. I'm still holding out a little hope that i might still be pregnant, but at least I feel like I am being proactive in the situation.

I would try and get into your doctor sooner rather than later, if just to help ease your nerves.
Hi there, it could have been me writing your letter this morning. I was 5 weeks pregnant yesterday and this morning i miscarried. I woke up in the night with terrible cramps, went to the bathroom and started bleeding. So many emotions...sadness, shock etc..... It was our first attempt to get pregnant and it felt almost too good to be true when i tested positive. A friend of mine (with 2 kids) says alot of women fall pregnant quite quickly after a miscarriage because it cleans out your system.......or something like that? I hope that's true. I'm abit scared now that next time i get to 5/6 weeks the same thing will happen, do you feel that too? By the way, my doctor said i don't need a check up and i will just bleed now like a "normal" period. Does that sound right? and when can we start trying again? Surely my whole cycle is now messed up? when am i next ovulating? So confused. Love Katie715.x
I miscarried last night at 5 1/2 weeks.  Not sure what to do.  I think I'll call my doctor this morning and ask her what she wants to do.  I took several pregnancy tests at home and they said they were positive, but I took one at the doctor's office on Monday and it said negative so I'm not even sure if I was pregnant.  I'd feel silly going to the doctor and telling them I think I miscarried when they believe I wasn't even pregnant in the first place.

I am thankful I have my daughter (17 months) so I know I can do it again!  I think we will start trying again...probably in about 2 weeks.
Firstly, I am really sorry that you are going through this, and really hope that it is just a false alarm and that everything is ok. I didnt get to read all the posts above, but to ease your mind try HPT. It actually might work, because with some very early miscarriages bleeding occure after the hormones have dropped below a certain level. When I miscarried last time, my doctor had tested my HCG, and he called and told me that I would start bleeding soon. Sure enough I started bleeding the day after. If you had tried HPT with this pregnancy before and showed you a dark line, then this time might show you a faint line if the hormones has in fact dropped.
I am 6 weeks pregnant and have had a few threatened miscarriages. Yesterday the doctor said i went from 7000 hgc to 7500 so my hormones arent doubling like they should and that i would probably miscarriage. Today i started bleeding lightly but it has been about 12 hours of this now. How do i know if i misscarried this baby?? I had a clot a week ago but i was still pregnant now im not sure but the cramps go into my pelvic bones and this feels like my period. I havent evon had morning sickness today. I dont know what to think and i dont want to go to emergency again what do you think???how do i know??Im so scared and sad I hope i can get pregnant again without loosing it.
Thursday of last week I took a home pregnancy test which came up positive.  Went see the doctor and their test came up negative so they sent me to do a blood test which showed i was infact pregnant.  I started bleeding the same day and i was 4 weeks and 5 days pregnant.  I did a Beta HCG test which showed my levels dropped.  Now I am spotting brown a little.  How long should this last?
Hello everyone. I made 5 weeks on Sat 4/26. I started bleeding on that day and it stopped today 4/28. I didn't pass any clots. I experienced a brownish discharge for a couple hours afterwards. No pregnancy symptoms at all. No tenderness of breasts, and no morning sickness.No cramps so far. Have I miscarried? I do have a history of miscarriage. Two at 7-8 weeks and another at 16 weeks. I am so nervous. Has this ever happened to anyone?
I was 5 1/2 weeks pregnant and started bleeding.  I had cramps and light bleeding for 2 days and saw some tissue as well.  5 days later I only have brown discharge.  My breasts are no longer sore and I do not have nausea anymore. I was given a blood test the day I started bleeding and my HCG showed that I was only 1 week pregnant so the doctor says I probably miscarried.  There is no certainty unless I have another blood test or u/s.  Which I have scheduled in 2 weeks.  I am pretty sure this was a chemical pregnancy and that I am not pregnant anymore.  
I know these posts are old. but I'm so happy to have found them! The same EXACT symptoms happened to me in the last few days. It was my first pregnancy. Took a pregnancy test this morning and it came up negative after having positive tests last week. I've been so sad all morning, but it helps knowing it's not abnormal. At least I wasn't further along. I couldn't imagine that feeling, considering how painful this is at only 5 weeks.
The same thing happened to me. This is my first pregnancy. I had my period on 5/23 and pretty sure I conceived on 6/5. About 3 days before I was expecting my next period I took a HPT and was negative and on 6/21 I had what I thought it was my normal period. But On after 6/29 stated having cramps and light bleeding and brown spotting so I did a HPT and came positive but paint line and about 3 hours later did another HPT came negative. Did blood test that same day and it was positive but the beta HCG was 32. I saw my OBGYN on 6/30 and ordered test again and did an pelvic u/s but could not see anything. She said I should be 5w 3d but after not seeing anything on the u/s she said not to think about it as a miscarriage, that it was very common and that probably nothing got to develop. Yesterday I repeated the test and level was 10. This morning I passed a clog and what I think was the yolk sac. I still have a little pelvic pain but not spotting much anymore. I am going back on monday 7/5 to see her.  I am sad but it's an odd feeling because I didn't even get to embrace the idea that I was pregnant when it was already gone. I cried after I left the Dr's office even though she said to consider it as a regular period, that most woman go through the same thing at some point but don't know it because they think it's an irregular period. Could I still be pregnant? Could this be a chemical pregnancy? Can I do something to prevent this from happening again? How long should the spotting and pain last?    
It feels good to have found some women to relate to.  My husband and I have been trying for months and I was so excited to finally test positive on July 6th.  On July 13th I began spotting and had a little bright red so I ran to my doctor who tested my hcg and progesterone levels.  She said there is no immediate alarm but have to retest in 2 days to see if the hcg's double.  Not much spotting today but began to bleed a little tonight~ so emotional!
Just imagine it all at 11 weeks and that is where I am at.  Trying to get a second opinion on a blighted ovum that was diagnosed at 7.5 and 8.5 weeks and they are telling me i can't get into the new doctor till Aug 9th.  As much as I hate calling doctor offices, tomorrow I think I will to try to find another office that will do something soon.  I am barely spotting every 4 hours or more.  They want me to wait till I'm closer to 15 weeks because they can't fit me in!  Am I having a miscarriage?  Is there a baby or was it lost long ago?  Why wait so much longer if they can just speed up the inevitable?  And if there is a baby, all this stress since June 15th can't be good for a pregnancy!
My husband and I were not trying to get pregnant, but yesterday (a Thursday) my period was 1 week and 1 day late and I just had a feeling I was (we already have 2 boys so I know that feeling you get when you just know). I was going to buy a test if I hadn't gotten my period by the weekend. Wednesday night I started spotting a bit, but it quickly went away. Thursday morning, no spotting so I thought maybe what happened the night before was implantation bleeding. Then, yesterday afternoon I started having ovulation type cramps right above my pelvic bone which I thought was really strange, as I've never felt that before. I also felt as though something was coming out of my vagina so I rushed to the bathroom and wiped, only to find a small rubbery gelatin looking substance on the toilet paper. It felt like a gummy bear or fruit snack, and it was covered in blood, but I could tell that one side of it had small little balls that looked like air sacs, and when I flipped it over the other side it looked like there was a grayish mass inside of it and a dark red line running through that side. I called my doctor's office (a family doctor) and explained what had happened. They told me that they no longer do anything with OB care and tried to sweep my situation under the rug. The nurse I talked to told me to discard the "clot looking thing" because it would just make me depressed. She also told me she didnt' know what that could be because at this stage if I was pregnant I wouldn't be able to see anything at all--it would just be blood like my normal period. I would have been around 5 weeks pregnant, but the nurse even questioned whether I would be pregnant or not because I hadn't even taken a test yet, and then told me it was probably just a clot. Umm, no this was not just an ordinary clot. I normally don't clot on the first day of my cycle anyway, and I am very familiar with what normal menstrual clots look and feel like. I have NEVER had a rubbery clot!!! Plus, another thing that is weird is that the blood I am losing is similar to the blood you see after giving birth. It's bright red and kind of watery looking---definitely not what my normal menstrual period looks like. Last night I searched and searched the internet for pictures of what I had seen on the toilet paper, but found nothing. I did, however, come across many women who had very similar experiences at around 4-5 weeks pregnant and they were told by their doctors that they were expelling the "products of conception" or the gestational sac. Even though I didn't have a positive pregnancy test yet, I feel devasted. I'm now searching for an OB/GYN that accepts my insurance and will be calling one today to see what they recommend.
I am having a very hard time today, this morning I miscarried at 5 weeks.  It has been a roller coaster ride all week for us b/c we were confirmed pregnancy at doctors office, we were thrilled, but the next night I had to go to hospital for abdominal pains and my hcg level was only at 25 so already I knew there was going to be a problem.   They had me re test the levels to see if they doubled and before I could get results today I woke up to cramping and bleeding, we went to the hospital and my hcg only went to 39 in 3 days and they confirmed that I was indeed miscarrying.  I know I was not far along in the pregnancy but I am still so devastated........Thank you ladies for sharing your experiences, it is comforting to be able to share what I am going through with others who know exactly what I am feeling....Please send me advice or comments, we really want ttc soon but I am just afraid that the same thing is going to happen again :(
Statistically, you are not likely for this to happen again.  However, I agree, I too am worried that it will happen again.  We can't live in that fear though.  I'm taking my one month off, then I plan on eating my vitamins, decreasing caffiene intake significantly, watching what medicines, and Hoping for the best.  I figure if I was just pregnant, maybe that was the jumpstart that my body needed to be able to prepare for a fullterm pregnancy.  But to answer your concern, it is not likely that you will have a 2nd miscarriage right after your first.
I am very sorry for your loss.

I am 31, first time pregnant and loosing it right now.  I am currently experiencing miscarriage at 5weeks and 5days.  It started last evening. From brown sppoting to light and to heavy bleading.  After all day bed resting yesterday recommended by my dr I finnaly stopped spotting.  I was so happy and exited.  All my worries and fears that I had for past 4 days of spotting went away.  I do not experience much pain, just as in regular period.  It is very sad but very comforting to know that I am not the only one.  This is one of the worst experiences in my life.  My only one beloved sister is due in 10 days.  Will I be able to be happy for her?
There is an article regarding bleeding and miscarriage that I thought it was very good and written by the doctor.

http://www.storknet.com/cubbies/pregnancy/exrg2.htm

Good luck to all of you...
I found out i was pregnant on Sunday (5 weeks), after a week's delay. HCG test showed 273. Then two days later the brown spotting started, got worse, then blood and then quasi-normal period. No pain or aching though. Went for blood tests on Tuesday (i.e. two days after pregnancy confirmed) and it showed HCG was 97. I probably had a miscarriage. The worse part is that i was alone, as my partner is currently in another country. There was none to come with me to doctor, or when i did blood tests. Taking a friend for the scan tomorrow, to show uterus is clean. I feel very sad, but i keep telling myself it's better now than in a few months' time. Next time, I'll wait much longer before i take a HPT.

hello every body,
We are trying for past 1year...both of us have some problem.my husband has low sperm count &i hve 1 blocked fallopian tube(left one)but docs says that we can concieve (conceive) naturally..and finally after a long wait on 0ct/3rd my HPTcameout +ive, we were so delighted..went in the lab for confirmation.urinetest says -ive but bloodtest comes out to be +ive..both of us were so happy..i went to see my gynic he runs routien blood work and pelvic exam,he said that i am 4weeks 5 days pregnant..next  daynurse called  me n told me that my hcg is very low ard23 so asked for afollow up..but eventually on the same day in the eve i started brown spotting..i called the nurse ..she said that i need to rest..then at mid night i woke with the bad cramp ..and my world shatterd ..i passed a big round clot in urine ..n i know i lost my baby ..both of us cried a lot ,mmidiately we went to the ER there in in the blood test my hcg was 28 but still pretty low ..so they said that i am going thru a miscarriage and nothing can be done..and in the morn my ultrasound  showed nothing in the uterus ..doc said may be every thing clears out and nothing is left or may be m still pregnant and its too early..so m scheduled for another blood work 2 days later n my hormones will be monitered..i'll keep u udated hope next time god really grant us our wish..baby dust to all                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
I am 5 weeks pg and started bleeding on and off Now for nearly five days. Painful and feel weak. But bleed there in little gush when go toilet then just spotting for day when wipe same every day. I rang epu and told symptoms and they said it's too early for scan wait a week and repeat preg test. If still positive ring us bk and will scan. Have had bouts of bleeding with my other 3 children and went on to have sucessful pg. I don't know if I'm losing this one and feel so confused. Anyone with similar problems?
January -6 days late on period
I was due Feb 26th for my period..but only got light pink spotting...
March 5th (10 days later) I got brown-ish spotting almost like old blood instead of new!!
March 6th I had very bad pains in my lower abdomen & back - stood up & bled through my pad all over the place...sat in the bathroom for 30 mins losing blood & big blood clots...then in the shower for 30 mins bleeding.
March 7th light bleeding still having pains more to the left side though & feeling very sick, dizzy & weak.
March 8th same thing.
March 9th light pink spotting
March 10th pink discharge still very mild cramping, dizziness, feeling sick & very sore swollen chest.
March 11th just discharge & feeling sick with sore chest...
Anyone know what's going on???? Can't see my DR 'til April 5th!!!
It's so nice to know tht I am not the only one tht has gone through this. I too had hcg of 28 and my obg said tht number was like a zero. I was 6 days late. And two day later after getin my blood work done I started to bleed very littly and now it's like in on my period. Had an ultrasound done and they said tht the baby had destroyed itself. I was very upset and couldn't stop crying. But I know thy there is hope
THIS IS MY 2ND LOSS......................................................i am in the same boat and i am very sad and feeling lonely i have no idea what to do with my self im devastated. god help.... i wish i would of known my test came back negative the other day, asnd thats what i dont understand, im home alone and im glad of it i guess, even though deep down i wish i had someone here telling me it will be okasy, and ill be okay. my mother had 8 miscarrages when she and my father were trying to conceive. is this herediatary. . why is this happening to me. i want my baby, i want to be a great mom. i cant understand why why why why I feel like im being punished and its the worst

thanks ashley
I see that some of these posts are really old but since I found them, I guess people are still reading. I'm only 5 weeks pregnant, or was. My first two pregnancies were problem free, I mean, PERFECT. I loved being pregnant, so when I found that I was pregnant a third time, husband and I were thrilled. Like an idiot, I was so excited and felt I was above all the problems other women had, so I told all my family. Well, I woke up today with brown spotting, sort of watery. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. It's now about 12 hours later and it's a full on crime scene down there. My vagina feels like it's doubled in size, achy, with cramps that remind me of early labor. I've been crying all day. I finally understand what women are talking about and how truly devastating this is, even losing it so early. It's hard to talk about, which is why there are so many posts like mine...easier to post to a random message board than be able to talk to hubby. I just hate this. As happy as I was to get pregnant again, I am that much sadder to find I will not be holding a newborn 9 months from now. I'm trying to keep it together because my 3.5 year old keeps trying to give me fruit snacks so I won't cry. I just had NO idea it would be so painful, physically and emotionally. I am saying a private prayer that this will pass soon and I will feel normal again. It's been the longest day of my life.
Im bout 5 weeks n 3 days I went pee n when I wiped there was blood wut does that mean??
I am 6wks today but ive been bleeding since friday round 5. Went to the hospital and was told my hcg levels were at miscarriage stage. Next day levels went up to 58 but the vaginal ultrasound showed nothing in the sac no bleeding from it but it was old blood coming out. No clotting until last nite and still no cramping. If i lost this baby then how long before its over